Decades after the "ugandan giant" nonsense, actual Ugandans create wrestling bootcamps and their own take on the sport

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Feb 2024

With SGW set for a huge 2024 amidst a groundswell of support and good faith; potentially, hopefully, setting the stage for a burgeoning professional wrestling scene in Uganda and Africa altogether, Daily DDT held a Q&A with SGW founder Bumbash Daniel to talk about SGW's surging popularity, breaking down gender barriers in Uganda, and embracing all those who share a common love: wrestling. Check out the full Q&A below :

AEW and TNA stars Will Ospreay and Jordynne Grace are both obvious fans and have donated to Soft Ground Wrestling. In Jordynne’s case, she had just been in the Royal Rumble. What does that support do for SGW?

I have to say that I’m full of gratitude. Having high calibre talent of Mr. Ospreay, Jordynne and more is a huge milestone for SGW. That means the world has been illuminated to hidden talent in Africa. Uganda in particular. Their support towards SGW is a turning point for pro wrestling in Uganda where many young talent will be motivated to join the sport and further help SGW acquire proper tools for training and exhibiting pro wrestling in Uganda.

Since SGW has become the spectacle it has online, have there been offers from platforms to distribute future content? We have seen several emergent promotions showcased on Triller TV/Fite for example, is that something you would entertain for SGW?

Yes, there are other platforms that have approached SGW for future content. Pro wrestling provides entertaining content that gets people glued to their TVs. I mean who wouldn’t watch two guys tasselling it out in mud or the beach? That’s content everyone is dying to see.

Given the conservative background of Uganda and taking into account culture and traditions, has there been any form of pushback on the involvement of women in wrestling? If so, what would be your official retort?

Uganda is an awesome country, a country where everyone is free to achieve anything in the sports arena. Actually, the sports arena for women in our country is growing bigger every day from boxing, amateur wrestling, football, basketball, and more. Therefore, women getting involved in active sports in Uganda is having bigger campaigns compared to the last 20 years.

The young ladies here in pro wrestling are amazing and they’re already getting positive feedback.

A lot of this Q&A should address how the Western world views SGW in the future, but I want to flip that for a moment. What is it like following wrestling from Uganda? What are the most popular promotions and wrestlers alike?

To answer the question right, like I said, pro wrestling is very popular in Uganda but from the television. The most watched promotions in Uganda are WWE, TNA, AEW, and SGW. SGW runs segments every Saturday and Sunday. SGW is the first wrestling organization in Uganda to have young superstars. With time, I’m sure we will have the most popular wrestling promotion in Uganda.

This sort of circles back to earlier, but how is women’s wrestling viewed in Uganda?

In Uganda, pro wrestling has been very popular on television. As long as it's [wrestling content], regardless the brand, anyone would watch. When I debuted SGW in Uganda two years ago, I had to lay a neutral foundation for talent. It doesn’t matter if you are a woman or man, the door is always open for talent. We are currently in the early stages of syncing our style of pro wrestling to the Ugandan audience.”

To end this on a lighter note, tell me, if SGW gets itself a wrestling ring will the promotion change names?

We don’t plan to change the promotion’s name for now. However, that could happen if need be.

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
Uganda: passes laws making homosexuality punishable by death.

Uganda: invents sport centered around men exploring each other's bodies.

Ima let everyone have a right to they own culture. :hubie:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You ain't post this in TSC :mjpls:
You don't have to smilie me. I'm an old school wrestling fan. Hence the Kamala reference in the title. The wrestling sub-forum is geared towards fans of modern wrestling. Outside of checking it when a wrestler from my era passes away, I'm not in step with it.

I think this is more of a general interest story, like when I posted here about Iron Sheikh's death and history

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Uganda: passes laws making homosexuality punishable by death.

Uganda: invents sport centered around men exploring each other's bodies.

Ima let everyone have a right to they own culture. :hubie:
using this logic if i punched you in the face it would just be my knuckles exploring your jaw line. I guess we were never from Harlem. :wrist: