Deion Sanders calls out inequities at HBCU Jackson State: 'It causes a kid not to dream'

Discussion in 'The Coliseum' started by Ethnic Vagina Finder, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Ethnic Vagina Finder

Ethnic Vagina Finder The Great Paper Chaser

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
    Coli Cash:
    $260943.00

Deion Sanders has had to make adjustments in his new role as head coach at Jackson State.

Sanders starred at football school Florida State and spent 14 seasons in the NFL where he built a Hall of Fame career. Those are places that come with luxuries. Jackson State isn’t a place like that.

Sanders spoke with reporters for the first time at Southwestern Athletic Conference media day on Wednesday following big recruitment wins last month and shared the differences in resources.

Sanders called out rickety training tables, uneven practice fields and outdated helmets, pads and practice equipment, via the Mississippi Clarion Ledger. It creates an unequal playing field, metaphorically, for football players at different schools.

“The playing field is horrible,” Sanders said. “It's not a level playing field. It's unacceptable. Thank God that God called me to change the game, to open their eyes, to open the door. Not just for Jackson State, but for everybody.”

The money at smaller schools isn’t there like it is at big ones such as Clemson, which opened its $55 million football complex in 2017. It came in part from College Football Playoff payouts and is a cycle that brings in top recruits who then put them in more championships.

The lack of top resources creates a different type of cycle. The players who do go to Jackson State have trouble getting to the NFL, Sanders said.

“Some of the things that I've seen thus far early in my tenure are truly unacceptable,” Sanders said. “It causes a kid not to dream. It causes a kid to not have that passion because he don't see no end result that's promising for him.”

Sanders, 53, told reporters he’s working on changing things, similar to what his sons both said when they announced they would be playing for their father at Jackson State.

He’s coordinated an apparel deal with Under Armour, switching the school from Nike, and promising customization in the product, per HBCU Game Day.

The players were excited to get a new sweatsuit and a coordinated uniform from helmet to shoes, Sanders said.

“You know my quote, ‘If you look good, you feel good.’ That's the durn truth,” he said, via the Clarion Ledger.

He’s also met with Golden Corral to get players a place to eat off campus, he said. In the weeks and months after his hire, donations have poured in to Jackson State. Golf star Phil Mickelson announced a $500,000 donation in September and selected the school as his HBCU to support in “The Match: Champions for Change” golf tournament alongside Steph Curry, Charles Barkley and Peyton Manning.

2. SJUGRAD13

SJUGRAD13 ‍♂️Which way are we going Yachiru? Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Queens and the 13 court guard squad
    Coli Cash:
    $104500.00

Damn they didn’t have coordinated clothing? Anyways I’m happy Deion spoke out because HBCU’s need that sports money.

3. King Sun

King Sun Big Boss Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $381300.00

I remember going to a central state homecoming game and seeing how fukked up those fields are.

4. thelonious21

thelonious21 I like my women tall

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Da Hood
    Coli Cash:
    $190000.00

Does that mean they were just wearing generic Nike gear?

Mugen and SJUGRAD13 dapped this.
  5. Ethnic Vagina Finder

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $260943.00

Sadly Prime is only one coach.

HBCU’s need more former NFL stars to go to these schools. Ed Reed, Michael Irvin. Jerry Rice. Something. It don’t even have to be head coach. Athletic director :mindblown: anything.

6. Ethnic Vagina Finder

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $260943.00

Probably hand me down gear. Old shyt. Refurbished uniforms.

7. DropTopDoc

DropTopDoc I’m a Doctor despite what you think

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    South Side Chicago to Nola
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

This the picture i try to paint for folks in these just go to hbcu, to die on they hill, it really is a difference between hbcu and pwi and if folks want kids to make a leap to hbcu’s you gotta create a landing place (i.e. invest money)

8. Trojan 24

Trojan 24 Veteran

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Just Win Baby
    Coli Cash:
    $348819.00

The want a bunch of 17/18 year olds to sacrifice so much so they can feel good :mjlol:

9. thenatural

thenatural Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

That Grambling story from a few years ago isn't an anomaly. Prime thinks all this shyt is going to be fixed because he wants it and he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

10. Sauce Dab

Sauce Dab Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $288593.00

Deion should try to see if he can get in contact with Mackenzie Bezos. She’s thrown millions at HBCU’s

miamivice305, OsO, Turk and 7 others dapped this.
  11. DropTopDoc

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

:mjlol: Prime gon be there for 1-2 years until a better situation manifest itself i guarantee it, this is to merely bolster his resume

12. DropTopDoc

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

exactly, nikkas ain’t donated the first dollar, but want them to do all the work, i don’t hear none of them throwing money to JSU

13. The Hon. Stringer Bell

The Hon. Stringer Bell Better Ring String Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

He could have a better opportunity now if he wanted.

14. thenatural

thenatural Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

Yep. He may end up leaving that program in a worse position than it was. The minute he dips, all those high level recruits will be looking to dip too.

Tim2520, Turk, Rekkapryde and 3 others dapped this.
  15. SJUGRAD13

SJUGRAD13 ‍♂️Which way are we going Yachiru? Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Queens and the 13 court guard squad
    Coli Cash:
    $104500.00

Pretty much. I’m not sure how it goes with sports contracts and HBCU’s but SJU & Nike have a deal in which all of SJU athletes had red customization shoes with the city on it (ugly as fukk BTW).

That’s foul Nike didn’t offer that for hbcu’s