Del Walker Senior Artist at Naughty Dog: "Make yourself undeniable, eight years ago, I couldn't call one Black developer, now I have access to 25"

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps

"I've been in the game industry for 14 years this year, many of my peers are directors now. I'm very senior, but there is no real opportunity for me to go into director roles in the same way as my peers, despite my expertise," he says.

"My expertise is, quite frankly, top level. You don't get into Naughty Dog and work on characters unless you're at the height of your expertise. But for another opportunity, when it came to leadership, I did feel my skill set was doubted a little bit – I've led a successful project before, but was told elsewhere that I didn't have leadership qualities. Maybe I'm not leadership material though, so I can't say in isolation it's a Black thing.

"When I leave a company though, it's because I feel there's a glass ceiling, and half the time when I'm leaving, the conversation will be like ‘but if we gave you that promotion, would you stay?' and that tells me okay, you've confirmed for me my initial fears that you felt I was capable, somewhat, but you had made other decisions as to not give me that role."

cP2EBue.jpg

QjQ8OjR.jpg

"There is a danger of your Black identity becoming your whole identity to people in the industry," he says. "There are pros and cons. You might feel that [advocacy] in the short-term helps your mental well-being, but I don't know if your career is going to be as smooth the more you loudly identify with your background in a way that doesn't allow people to learn that you're a person. I'm going to be careful in the way I choose my words here – there is a difference between having a voice and being a voice."

Walker undoubtedly has a voice – he's a BAFTA games committee representative and judge, he has been a curriculum advisor and guest lecturer at his alma mater De Montfort University and he has a large social media following, but he wants to use that voice to help people to get better at the craft of making game art. As an example, Walker names a BAFTA panel on the representation of Black people in games, which he agreed to take part in because, to his mind, it allowed him to talk about the craft of character design as much as representational issues, without putting too much emphasis on Black identities.

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
The problem with these takes is that people dont exist in a vacuum. Talented or not they're competing against ingrained discrimination, and that is you're feeling generous with the way the white people in charge pass over black people.

Cultivate your skill but don't deny or be afraid to call out bullshyt, especially if that's what it takes to get you in a spot to show off your talent. They made the game, we have to play it

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Del’s a good guy, he’s not at Naughty Dog anymore though. I think his last project unfortunately was Factions there.

I wouldn’t doubt he’s at another SIE studio though

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
The glass ceiling exists in every industry.

You shouldn't have to become "undeniable" for your efforts and value to be recognized, but that's the reality we live in while a lot of cacs can coast by with mid performance. I'm dealing with this right now at work.

Becoming an advocate for your identity or any cause that white people can't relate to or sympathize with definitely puts a target on your back because it makes these cacs uncomfortable because of their ingrained discrimination. A lot of these cacs believe that you need to either be white or white friendly (a square) in order to be the face of a company.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
There's always going to be a glass ceiling. You are rarely going to be given the keys. Look at the success of blacks, and its overwhelmingly from branching out and doing our own thing. In this new Gilded Age, there is more VC money available than at any other time. You ultimately have to make a choice. You can eat good under that ceiling and watch your peers pass you by, or you can take that leap of faith and blaze your own trail.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
The glass ceiling exists in every industry.

You shouldn't have to become "undeniable" for your efforts and value to be recognized, but that's the reality we live in while a lot of cacs can coast by with mid performance. I'm dealing with this right now at work.

Becoming an advocate for your identity or any cause that white people can't relate to or sympathize with definitely puts a target on your back because it makes these cacs uncomfortable because of their ingrained discrimination. A lot of these cacs believe that you need to either be white or white friendly (a square) in order to be the face of a company.
Exactly. That's exactly what my reaction was to what he was saying.

When he said, "There is a danger of your Black identity becoming your whole identity to people in the industry," that is what happens in every industry and at every organization in the United States. The unspoken question with white leadership is always "he/she is black, but is he/she 'too' black? :huh:".

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
I hear alot of senior executives talk like this. All i gotta say is.. i pray to god i never go out like this when i get older or in a senior position. The game is literally set up for us to fail, you think black people are out here self identifying because they want to? We're gonna get labeled regardless. And on a talent level, you know how hard it is to get into that room and actually be called on to speak on some level of importance? Its got very little to do with your skill level.

White people want people that look like them in power the same as we do. But they systematically gate keep others which is something you don't see alot of other races doing. Now maybe if roles were reversed we'd be the same way, but as of now its this way because of white supremacy. You can debate it all you want but while you sitting there talking they're figuring out how to reduce your slice of the pie. And thats whats really undeniable.