Dial up days appreciation thread

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Seeing as the Coli is giving me 56k flashbacks:

This one going out to the ones remember what it was like to be trim, energetic and youthful as you ventured into the brave new world of digitalism back when. Let me play you the song of my people:

Can it be that it was all so simple then? There was this amazing new thing called the "inter net" you could access on your "lab top" and it really was something. Not everyone knew about it but those that did were like kids in a candy store. Little did we realize then that it would later be turned into a validation factory churning out non stop dopamine hits to fry your Central Nervous System and have you stumbling and fumbling around like a digital Pookie saying "But it just keeps calling me, man" each time a notification sings and you jump in response like a well trained netbasehead.

Forget all that for a minute. We're talking about a time when you still went to Blockbuster on a Friday night , dressed in all white, doused with enough Issey to make em dizzy, to grab a flick and it was often jumping as the honeys were doing the same thing. Yeah, I said honeys. It was the mid 90s so it is what it is. Sometimes its hard to believe this is still the same world as its amazing how the net literally crushed the buildings and homogenized culture into the global melange it became.

But back then it was still innocent. As you'd wait over an hour to download a remix of Let Me Ride featuring 2Pac, Dre, Eazy E, Snoop, E40 and whoever else the netDJ could blend onto there whilst kicking it on MSN/AOL with people all around the world who clicked due to common interests and tech. Being around to witness the world go from analog to digital was something the flabby and sick should wear as a badge of honor because some things literally only happen once in a when and this was one of them.

Can you taste the pychosphere?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The best fukking part of the old net days is that idiots were largely not online savvy yet. Computers were still "nerd" domain so despite the slow ass services or was a treasure chest of shyt to be had in those days. Communities were less hostile n so forth.

The advent of social media really going back to myspace kind of started the shift of stupid people coming online. So if I reminisce about dial up days it wouldn't be for the slow service but the fun had despite it.

Struggle shyt like waiting for a nude pic to render and load is not something I'd ever miss and lord forbid you try n watch video :damn:

Or saving music in real audio formats. Low quality mp3 etc :stopitslime:

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Or saving music in real audio formats. Low quality mp3 etc :stopitslime:

flashback.gif

Real Audio was enough to give you the chills with its tin can on a string audio quality. People now will never know the struggle and patience required to leech a 128kbps track someone was sending via MSN for over an hour. Heaven forfend someone picks up the phone half way through :stopitslime:

10-4-1-10_1.jpg

Totally agree about the mood/vibe though, it was so much realer as the only people who knew about it were cutting edge geeks and the sense of community was through the roof as we were explorers of a new digital frontier. Bonus points for anyone who was nerdy enough to use a BBS to get the pre-internet internet where an email would take 3 days to arrive and the UI looked like this:

what-does-bbs-mean.png

As people had private servers running on their own machines that you could dial into directly. That was some literal digital underground ish because you had to be connected to get in. Unless you were a war dialing PBX scanning hacker par excellence but thats another topic.

Remember 56K? Unzip? unRAR! You never thought the internet would take it this far...

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I actually remember arguing with my parents about why we needed to ditch dialup and needed to get ATT's DSL like all the cool kids. But my folks werent having any of it.

Also, i hated it cause my folks could tell when i was using the computer during punishment because the fax machine didnt work at the same time. Seriously Had my mother sending nonesense fax messages to the house just to check on me when she was at work.

oh-my-god-kid.gif

Last edited:

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Or saving music in real audio formats. Low quality mp3 etc
Breh, speak on it. I remember having a limewire torrent of a 12song album start downloading at 10AM on dial up and that sht would still not be done by 6pm. And God forbid one of those crappy 32KBPS samples was corrupted.

Would have a breh breaking down....

Zime

Superstar
Daps
Trying to get on Miniclip with dial-up Internet
:banderas:

No matter how crappy the Internet and rest of technology was I still would rather go back to them days