Directors who fell off

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Coppola's is probably the most striking.

The Godfather, Pt 1 &2, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now is debatably the GOAT run. But One From the Heart flopping ruined him creatively and financially.

I fukks with Rumblefish and even recent stuff like Tetro isn't without it's merits but breh went from top 10 to not mentioned at all. Losing his mind in the jungle whilst shooting Apocalypse Now probably didn't help.

Last edited:

Pesci

Architect
Daps
Coppola's is probably the most striking.

The Godfather, Pt 1 &2, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now is debatably the GOAT run. But The Cotton Club flopping ruined him creatively and financially.

I fukks with Rumblefish and even recent stuff like Tetro isn't without it's merits but breh went from top 10 to not mentioned at all. Losing his mind in the jungle whilst shooting Apocalypse Now probably didn't help.
if you haven't seen Hearts of Darkness (the doc his wife made) it's worth a watch

honestly you could probably find it on youtube or daily motion

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
James Cameron... his run in the 80's-early 90's was pretty great...now it takes him 10 years to release a damn movie....

I don't care what anyone says Avatar fukking sucked.

Hype Williams.

Hype was never a great director, perhaps a great cinematographer...which is cool for music videos but for movies not so much.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
ridley scott

paul thomas anderson kinda looks like he could be heading toward this as well...

Strongly disagree. PTA has reached a decisive moment in his career where his movies are becoming more and more his own instead of him making movies heavily influenced by or homaging other directors (Hard Eight/Lumet, Boogie Nights/Scorsese, Magnolia/Altman, Punch-Drunk Love/Godard, There Will Be Blood/Kubrick). I expect him to start making the most interesting movies of his career now, although they may not always be the most (mainstream) accessible.