Discovery: Tekken was gonna be known as Rave War in 1994

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Basically, Rave War was the original or placeholder name for Tekken, which kinda resembles Namco's Rave Racer that got released solely on arcades after Tekken's release. If you manage to get through Tekken arcades data you will find a voice clip of the announcer shouting "Rave War" It's clear that Tekken was rushed to compete with VF there is a lot of unused data from unused voices, unused animations, unused characters, and unused Icons.

8HL5Kix.jpg

Even after finally changing "Rave War" to "Tekken" they still partially utilized Rave War on subtitles in a few arcade promotional posters. Also Namco's IP Ridge Racer also promoted "Rave War"(Tekken) along with Galaxian on the popular red sports car with white fonts printed on it.

DFvAO2zXsAAYt8a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Scruffy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Why was Namco competing with Sega? Was this for arcade dominance? Because Sega was much bigger than Namco at the time no?

Does this mean Time Crisis was a response to Virtua Cop / House of the Dead then?

Last edited:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Why was Namco competing with Sega's Virtua Fighter? Was this for arcade dominance? Because Sega was much bigger than Namco at the time no?

Does this mean Time Crisis was a response to Virtua Cop / House of the Dead then?

with arcades most things were reactionary. theres only so much space in an arcade and the most popular shyt got play.

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Why was Namco competing with Sega? Was this for arcade dominance? Because Sega was much bigger than Namco at the time no?

@parallax pretty much summoned it up.

Well the guys behind Tekken did state that, hence why Tekken 1 was marketed at smaller arcades as a cheaper alternative.

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
This reminds me of when Bloody Roar was out in the arcades as Beastorizer :mjlol:

Interesting somebody messed up or it was also rushed. "Beastorizer" sounds so American I guess Hudson said fukk it and stuck with Bloody Roar. I can see that there are a few missing functions, I guess the developers noted this and corrected everything on the PS version.