DJ Clue Talks 'Lack Of 'Fire' Material In Modern Hip-Hop: '[It's] Gonna Get Worse'

LevelUp

Don't Like My Threads, Blow The Whistle
Daps
DJ-CLue-banner-1024x553.jpg

DJ Clue is worried about the current state of Hip-Hop, and he doesn’t see it getting much better any time soon.

Taking to Twitter/X on Thursday (February 1), the legendary DJ lamented about the lack of “fire material” in the game right now, though he does say there are some songs that are moving the needle.

This isn’t the first time DJ Clue has spoken out about the current state of Hip-Hop. Back in 2022, ClueManatti offered some advice to those making music in the modern era as he noted what was lacking.

Several people in Clue’s comments agreed with his sentiments. “Word I’m so over it at this point,” one user wrote, adding: “The producer should be the star.” Another said: “Finally someone says it.” Some wanted Clue to bring up specific names.

There are many rappers who pride themselves on never writing lyrics down and creating hits off the top, the most famous being JAY-Z and Lil Wayne. But not every artist has the capacity to do this.

And while not everyone is qualified to make such statements, DJ Clue has certainly earned his stripes in the game – and reminded everyone of such last year.

Clue then followed up with a response as to why he feels this way about his own personal talents.

From the late 1990s to the early 2000s, DJ Clue was one of the hottest DJs in the music business due to his infectious mixtapes.

Over the last two decades, Clue has worked with a plethora of artists including JAY-Z, Fabolous, and Lil Wayne, to name a few.

He also mentored an up-and-coming DJ Envy as a youngster.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Right message, wrong messenger. DJ Clue got more than his fair of trash with the whack ass beats.

No Hook

Surrounded By Hate Yet I Love Home
Daps
Reppin
Philly
He's right and it's not just rap, it's music as a whole. Music streaming was one of the greatest creations ever made

As someone who listen's to some modern rap, the majority of rap that I do listen to on the regular is from the past

There is a reason why old/golden era hip hop gets discussed in thebooth more than todays rap. It was a way better quality of music