Do you find movies of today to be just as good as movies from the 80s and 90s?

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
TV is better than ever

Movies are fukking trash now with an exception like every two years

mr x

Superstar
Daps
could be a good spin off thread...rank the decades.

Going thru this forum over the yrs you'd think film started with the godfather.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I think the 80's had more GREAT, original films.

But I think movies in general, when it comes to the middle of the pack are better now.

TV is what has made a gigantic leap due to character development and immersion.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its like this with cartoons/anime too. They went from drawing cells to digital shyt and it all feels soulless. Even worse when they put CGI in it (berserk remake)

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
Honestly i cant stand most 80s and 90s films.

I love everything before and after those decades tho.

But, i think for myself and alldat. i love modern indies and 60s-70s classics :yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think a lot of the movies from the 90s get looked at in a way by those of us who grew up on them but in retrospect, the decade is more weird and experimental than actually good. There are years of dopeness, like 94 and 99, but most of that decade was either still stuck in the 80s or trying to figure out what audiences wanted so they just threw shyt against the wall. I’d say the 2010s have been better than the 90s.

The 80s is the same. It’s more consistent than the 90s but there are a lot of lean years there. The difference tho is the really dope shyt is REALLY dope. So it stands out more but if you go through that decade year by year, you’ll find a lot of weak shyt too. The stands outs and classics boost the average tho.

The 90s was great for independent movies and the 80s was great for horror and sci-fi and fantasy. But the 70s was just great.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
It depends on the genre:

- Comedy films were vastly superior in the 1980s to any time before or since
- Studios rarely bother funding epic movies like The Godfather or war movies anymore which stinks, but as people alluded to TV series have taken this area over brilliantly
- Action movies are mostly lazy formulas especially superhero movies, 80s and 90s were better
- Sci-Fi films are way better now, I think there's been an influx of adventurous and intelligent filmmakers to the genre and they're working with better tech
- Hood flicks were better in the 90s

I generally pay more attention to the director than the genre though.