Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah...its does appear they are leaning on more callbacks.

In the book the hotel is gone...been totally demolished. They visit the site, but in the trailer it seems as if he goes back and visits. Also, the girl is much older in the trailer than the book.
Trailer looks straight though...but The Dark Tower has me worried anytime I see major liberties being taken with the source material.

He took liberties with house on haunted hill and that turned out pretty damn dope. Filmmakers make all the difference in the world on adaptation.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Ewan McGregor went from the "Christopher Robin" (Winnie the pooh) movie to a horror movie adapted from Stephen King. That's different.
He went from playing a Scottish junkie to playing one of the most respected Jedi in Star Wars. This is his career, breh.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The Shining wasn't "scary" to me, per se, more of a mystery. So maybe it has the tension and horror elements that would categorize it as such.
IMDB has this listed as "Horror"

I’ve listened to two podcasts discussing this very topic of what’s horror and what’s not. Both recent episodes too.

For me, it always comes down to tone and intention. Kubrick was clearly trying to scare people therefore it’s horror. Whether it scares us personally shouldn’t factor into that, at least I don’t think so. That whole movie is creepy and packed with dread and filled with just weird ass imagery.

The directors of the Friday the 13th flicks are intending to scare the audience. Them shyts don’t scare me one bit tho lol but they’re still horror flicks.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I’ve listened to two podcasts discussing this very topic of what’s horror and what’s not. Both recent episodes too.

For me, it always comes down to tone and intention. Kubrick was clearly trying to scare people therefore it’s horror. Whether it scares us personally shouldn’t factor into that, at least I don’t think so. That whole movie is creepy and packed with dread and filled with just weird ass imagery.

The directors of the Friday the 13th flicks are intending to scare the audience. Them shyts don’t scare me one bit tho lol but they’re still horror flicks.

Horror is supposed to have “dread”. People argue that if you put action scenes in films where there is a “monster” the horror is removed because the protagonist appear to have a chance/be on equal footing with the antagonist. In stuff like Friday 13th the humans pretty much dont stand a chance which brings the horror element. If you made a Jason vs The Expendables you pretty much have a Predator flick lol. Because while Jason outmatched the humans there is the element of them taking each other on, even if its after a few were hunted by Jason and killed.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
He went from playing a Scottish junkie to playing one of the most respected Jedi in Star Wars. This is his career, breh.
respectfully i'm "brehette" lol. What's the name of the movie where he played the junkie? He has been in alot of movies that show his range, agreed. I like him as an actor - I'm just basing my comment on the last two movies that I've seen in him in personally as far as watching, Jack and the Giant Slayer and Christopher Robin, which I thought were pretty good.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Horror is supposed to have “dread”. People argue that if you put action scenes in films where there is a “monster” the horror is removed because the protagonist appear to have a chance/be on equal footing with the antagonist. In stuff like Friday 13th the humans pretty much dont stand a chance which brings the horror element. If you made a Jason vs The Expendables you pretty much have a Predator flick lol. Because while Jason outmatched the humans there is the element of them taking each other on, even if its after a few were hunted by Jason and killed.

But dread is subjective. That’s why I say tone and intent. For me, evil dead 2 doesn’t have much dread. It’s a horror comedy but it’s horror doesn’t come from dread. It’s the gore it’s the violence and the possession and demons. Sam wants to scare you and make you laugh. And for me, I never felt the dread there.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
respectfully i'm "brehette" lol. What's the name of the movie where he played the junkie? He has been in alot of movies that show his range, agreed. I like him as an actor - I'm just basing my comment on the last two movies that I've seen in him in personally as far as watching, Jack and the Giant Slayer and Christopher Robin, which I thought were pretty good.

Trainspotting is his junkie movie. That was his first big moment in the states.