Does anyone have the project management cert (PMP)?

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I hear its worth waaaay more than the little effort (6 mos) and low price tag (3-5 thou) it cost.

Can anyone vouch for this. Thinking about getting mine from DePaul U.

https://www.quora.com/Is-PMP-certification-worth-it-for-IT-professionals

I mentioned the cert to my boss and he told me that if your working in an IT Enterprise like environment, it definitely good to have.

It recognized Internationally.

Also a snippet from the link

"
I’m surprised to see that everybody who answered this question, answered emphatically with a ‘yes’ without even being clear about what kind of IT professionals you were referring to ( you have only mentioned ‘IT Professionals’ in your question).

The answer is a ‘yes’ only if you are somebody who has worked in project management roles and if you want to pursue that line of work in your career further. The PMP certification is an acknowledgement of your knowledge and your ability to use the various tools, techniques and processes in-line with the most recognised global standard for project management. If project management is your thing, the PMP is definitely a value addition - the certification strengthens your CV and commands you greater respect among recruiters (and therefore even helps you with more lucrative pay). Also, it goes without saying that every tool, technique and process you learn actually helps you manage projects more efficiently and effectively.

However, if you are an individual contributor who wants to work as a Business Analyst/Consultant or a Solution Architect or something likewise, then the PMP certification really won’t give you any good return-on-investment because though the knowledge acquired while preparing for the PMP is valuable, it is not what’s required for such roles and therefore whatever you gain through the PMP certification becomes mostly redundant. There are other skill-specific certifications that could help you strengthen your profile for such roles."

Hope that gives you a slightly better idea.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
CSM - Certified Scrum Master is cheaper

I would start there.
Yeah but the PMP is more versatile, imo. SCRUM is only associated to Agile projects. The biggest hindrance I found with the PMP cert was getting the work I was doing to qualify as "hours" needed to qualify. It's like if you weren't specifically in a PM role, it didn't count.