Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism?

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Crazy how you just wanna take a dig at my beliefs(originating from the Middle East and East Africa btw) instead of answering an honest question, which was the point of this entire thread. Are you a nihilist? If not,what purpose does life have outside of Survival and reproduction?

I dont believe or suscribe in notion of nihilism. Nor do I believe the opposite.

Purpose in life is an abstraction, its a complex human thought process to define the world around us.

As is religion and laws.

But that doesnt negate or invalidate having purpose

Most humans need structure, which is why religious rituals are good for the masses

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Black atheists do nothing to uplift other black people collectively.

They just sit like fudge packers at their computers with popcorn watching Richard Dawkins debates on YouTube.

They are useless and negative c00ns.

What the churches in jamaica doing to relieve the country of its violence epidemic.

Jamaica hasthe most churches per sq mile

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
"what if"

Don't do that.

If you don't know, just say that.

If you flunked those classes, just say that.

I'm talking about what we can prove and anything beyond that is just you trying to fill in the blanks of a smaller hole.
but thats the point of this thread, you say nihilism is an end goal/understanding and im showing you why its really like excrement

you say classes, but that was conditioned information for you by someone who was already your superior. Then tested you on their own basis of understanding.

Thats just one way of learning, and inherently you play the role of senpai. God teaches us to see past the separations of the world and have mastery over it. Something that cant be taught in school because it is for profit (inherently to pull more out of you than its putting into you)

So yes i will do that for your own sake.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
but thats the point of this thread, you say nihilism is an end goal/understanding and im showing you why its really like excrement
I didn't say it was an end goal.

As long as you ascribe meaning to life, youre making it up at that very moment.

you say classes, but that was conditioned information for you by someone who was already your superior. Then tested you on their own basis of understanding.

Oh, now science education is indoctrination.

Do you really want to go there? :sas1:

You're intellectually inferior to me, on this statement alone, but it wont stop your arrogance

Thats just one way of learning, and inherently you play the role of senpai. God teaches us to see past the separations of the world and have mastery over it. Something that cant be taught in school because it is for profit (inherently to pull more out of you than its putting into you)

I'd ask you to define this god/dikkhead/useless fukkboy but you'd move the goalposts

So yes i will do that for your own sake.

I hope hell exists just to see you there

Ganso Bomb

All Star
Daps
I dont believe or suscribe in notion of nihilism. Nor do I believe the opposite.

Purpose in life is an abstraction, its a complex human thought process to define the world around us.

As is religion and laws.

But that doesnt negate or invalidate having purpose

Most humans need structure, which is why religious rituals are good for the masses
But if it all originates from the human mind and 'meaning' is entirely based on what  we decide it is, then it's not objective.
I'm not saying you can't apply subjective meaning and purpose to your life. I'm saying that, without the existence of a higher power, that purpose doesn't exist outside of what you decided it to be.
Whether you want to call it Nihilism or not, that's what it is.

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
I didn't say it was an end goal.

As long as you ascribe meaning to life, youre making it up at that very moment.

we are in agreement
Oh, now science education is indoctrination.

Do you really want to go there? :sas1:

You're intellectually inferior to me, on this statement alone, but it wont stop your arrogance
if what they say is true about you having multiple users on one account is true ill let you believe whatever whos logged in believes
tall-man-black-panther.jpg

but yes science education is indoctrination, that doesnt imply its all bad. But it is indoctrination
I'd ask you to define this god/dikkhead/useless fukkboy but you'd move the goalposts

I hope hell exists just to see you there
God is within you, so what you say about him is a reflection of how you view reality

the fact that I see you is proof hell doesnt exist :youngsabo:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Do you have an answer? Mine is no and I've never heard of any atheistic belief or philosophy with an objective morality outside what humans can collectively agree is beneficial for society; and even that's still liable to change over time.
I don't have an answer and I'm at a point in my life where I think its irrelevant or doesn't exist. Explained below

OP's premise was that Nihilism is the logical conclusion to being an atheist and pretty much every post since has proven him correct. In my first post I asked if there's any atheists here that believe in an objective meaning/purpose for life outside of Survival & Reproduction and pretty much every post I've seen since confirms the answer if no.

OP is rightt and we all agree with him, so why is there so much arguing?
I can't speak for anyone else but I believe objective meaning or value does not exist in the universe. These are man made concepts that will persist because man continues to think them up. Take away humanity and those concepts are gone.

There's an interaction from the Hogfather that sums up my stance on concepts like inherent value. Believe it or not, nihilism was never supposed to be the conclusion...it was Nietzsches attempt to explain the pits falls of not having a system of beliefs. His goal was to establish or encourage the creation of a new system that replaces Christianity. For if you take away God, how do we convince the average yorkle to NOT do what he wills/can?

Susan : All right, I'm not stupid. You're saying that humans need fantasies to make life bearable.

Death : No. Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.

Susan : With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?

Death : Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.

Susan : So we can believe the big ones?

Death : Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.

Susan : They're not the same at all!

Death : You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and THEN show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet... you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some... some rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.

Susan : But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?

Death : You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can

Most would say I don't believe in a deity....they'd mostly be right. I don't believe objective value exists yet that has nothing do with my lack of belief in the gods. My "atheism" came first. My stance on objective value is relatively recent and lead to be being less atheist. I'm more spiritual and apologetic to religion now than I ever been in my life. I believe the lack of religion will be negative impact on Humanity as a whole. Yall nikkas need Jesus, just not so much.

Tldr; I hard disagree with the OP.

Th3Birdman

Rookie of The Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
If God doesn't exist, by definition life cannot have an objective purpose

This quote literally can be turned around on you.

You don't know your god's plan. This means you cannot say there IS an objective purpose.

Morality would have no grounding

Your positions are extraordinarily narrowminded and biased.

Morality is a concept that can be scientifically proven to come about in godless societies. The Golden Rule is based on survival of the species-- you don't kill people your community because you rely on them for survival, for example.

Animals that have a social structure have no need for a god; bees don't know of nor worship your god, but create intricate societies that look after one another and protect their queen and hive at the cost of their own lives.

Lions form social orders where many lionesses will hunt for the benefit of the pride.

Orcas form pods and protect each other from outside threats, such as great whites, but they don't kill each other in the pod.

Elephants are well known for the societies they develop, and how they protect the young in the group from outsiders, even if those young do not belong to them.

None of these animals can read a book about a deity, and yet somehow, they have a moral compass that leads them to protect and look after those that look like them.

Hard to find any meaning, purpose, value, anything in an atheistic world

This is one of the funniest things I've read on this board.

Fam, just because a person doesn't believe in a fairy tale does not mean their lives don't have value or purpose :snoop:

You create your value and purpose on this planet. The art you create, the lives you touch, the impact you leave on your community-- all of these things matter to the living.

The irony is that if you believe in a god, YOU literally believe that there is no purpose to this material world. You think you're going to have a life after this life, literally making this one a stupid roadblock that means nothing in the infinite afterlife.

Atheists value this life because this is the only one we get.

If we take atheism to also include physicalism and naturalism

No, you can't do this, because atheism is simply the lack of a belief in a god. You keep ascribing traits to atheism that do not apply. Atheists are not a monolithic group of people where you can say things about them like this. They are a WILDLY varied group with billions of different ideas and beliefs. They come from different cultures with different concepts of the world around them.

The only thing you can safely say about all atheists is they lack a belief in a god. That's it. Stop this shyt.

there also basically wouldn't be free will, meaning that we are here in no way by our choice, and that the end results of our lives are predetermined by biology

This is wild. You are literally describing religious people and somehow flipping this on atheists.

Fam-- you believe in a god that has some type of plan. That literally means YOU don't have free will.

The amount of projection here is insane :dead:

Ganso Bomb

All Star
Daps
There's an interaction from the Hogfather that sums up my stance on concepts like inherent value. Believe it or not, nihilism was never supposed to be the conclusion...it was Nietzsches attempt to explain the pits falls of not having a system of beliefs. His goal was to establish or encourage the creation of a new system that replaces Christianity. For if you take away God, how do we convince the average yorkle to NOT do what he wills/can?

Most would say I don't believe in a deity....they'd mostly be right. I don't believe objective value exists yet that has nothing do with my lack of belief in the gods. My "atheism" came first. My stance on objective value is relatively recent and lead to be being less atheist. I'm more spiritual and apologetic to religion now than I ever been in my life. I believe the lack of religion will be negative impact on Humanity as a whole. Yall nikkas need Jesus, just not so much.

Tldr; I hard disagree with the OP.
So best case scenario: the reason religion is a net positive on society is because they hold ancient, divine truths and the God that made us did so with a purpose; I personally believe to overcome our carnal nature and reflect his glory on Earth.(Kind of similar to the Fallen angel meets ape thing in the excerpt you shared. I like that.)

Or worst case scenario: we have to make up lies and trick ourselves into believing them to prevent our inevitable self-destruction...that's bleak as fukk:russ:

This whole discussion makes me wanna read Ecclesiastes

Last edited:

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL

You don't know your god's plan. This means you cannot say there IS an objective purpose.

Animals that have a social structure have no need for a god; bees don't know of nor worship your god, but create intricate societies that look after one another and protect their queen and hive at the cost of their own lives.

Jeremiah 7:18

18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

so worshipping queens reduces you to the status of an insect :ehh: God is truly good to israel :wow: @Koichos

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
I don't believe in any deity and by definition I am a nihilist :manny:

There ain't a universal purpose in life man has to follow, you make your own

Wanna know why you're here? Your ol boy ain't pull out and your ol girl ain't bring out the coat hanger

Anton

All Star
Daps

Your positions are extraordinarily narrowminded and biased.

Morality is a concept that can be scientifically proven to come about in godless societies. The Golden Rule is based on survival of the species-- you don't kill people your community because you rely on them for survival, for example.

Lions form social orders where many lionesses will hunt for the benefit of the pride.

Orcas form pods and protect each other from outside threats, such as great whites, but they don't kill each other in the pod.

Elephants are well known for the societies they develop, and how they protect the young in the group from outsiders, even if those young do not belong to them.

None of these animals can read a book about a deity, and yet somehow, they have a moral compass that leads them to protect and look after those that look like them.

This is one of the funniest things I've read on this board.

Fam, just because a person doesn't believe in a fairy tale does not mean their lives don't have value or purpose :snoop:

You create your value and purpose on this planet. The art you create, the lives you touch, the impact you leave on your community-- all of these things matter to the living.

The irony is that if you believe in a god, YOU literally believe that there is no purpose to this material world. You think you're going to have a life after this life, literally making this one a stupid roadblock that means nothing in the infinite afterlife.

No, you can't do this, because atheism is simply the lack of a belief in a god. You keep ascribing traits to atheism that do not apply. Atheists are not a monolithic group of people where you can say things about them like this. They are a WILDLY varied group with billions of different ideas and beliefs. They come from different cultures with different concepts of the world around them.

The only thing you can safely say about all atheists is they lack a belief in a god. That's it. Stop this shyt.

This is wild. You are literally describing religious people and somehow flipping this on atheists.

Fam-- you believe in a god that has some type of plan. That literally means YOU don't have free will.

The amount of projection here is insane :dead:

A christian's purpose is the service of God because it's what the Bible says. The Bible is pretty authoritative on these issues.

It depends on how we define morals I guess. If morals would be anything about how things are meant to be, you'd need a God.

A purpose requires design or creation, which by definition doesn't happen in an atheistic universe. You can't say we have a purpose if we can't by definition.

“It is your Father's pleasure to give you the kingdom,” said Jesus.

Nihilism is basically saying your life doesn't have any intrinsic value.

We know all know what atheism is but assuming someone is using logic, we can reach some conclusions about the way the universe should be if it's without a deity.

What am I asking you, birdman, How does the lack of belief in a deity not necessarily logically lead to nihilism?

In other words, with no supreme being outside-the-universe purpose-giver, how can there be objective purpose?

That's it.