Downwardly mobile white men more likely to be in relationships with black women?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm so glad I live in a world totally opposite of y'all.

Im so glad I don't live in a world where cacs are taking all of the black women and it's all I think about.

I'm so glad I live in a world where 99% of the black women I see are with a black man.

I feel so sorry for some of y'all.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
From my experience, of the black women that date interracially, I have seen more upper class black women marry upper class white men then I've seen upper class black men marrying upper class white women. In fact, there's a whole subculture of upper class black women/white men families in Manhattan, Chicago, and San Francisco that I know of and I gather there's the same in many old southern cities like Charleston, Mobile, and New Orleans.

The other group that dates/marries interracially (and is the overwhelmingly largest share that dates interracially in the black community) at a high rate are lower class black people. And they typically date/intermarry with lower class white people. You see this a lot all over the south and in small rural towns in the midwest. I'm also including entertainers/athletes in this group, because 95% of them were not born into high status families.

I think LSA women are very aspirational and are looking at the first group and thinking that there are more black women who marry upper class whites than black men who marry upper class whites. But, of course, they're not considering men being inherently different from women, in which we don't marry for position or security, so it would make sense why women of any race would try to marry for wealth or social class as opposed to men.

Sounds right though I think the best comparison for the type of White women upper class Black men marry is to look at the whole pool of Black women upper class White men marry.

As you said, men don't marry for security and have less issue dating down so a higher proportion of IR upper class Black women marrying up doesn't shock me but I wonder if the pool of Black women the upper class White men marry is really more upper class? I have seen dual yoked IR in this bracket but a lot of trophy wives too.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
@Suge Shot Me
Good post. I am going to repost what I did months ago also showing education wise Black women with bachelor degrees don't have kids by White men of a significantly higher education than the Black men they get with.

I really pondered throwing this data out for a while. I am not into gender warring and I figured this may end up as that. However, I guess the Eboni Williams thread got me to go ahead and do it. To be clear:

This is not an anti-IR thread. If someone is happy with a White man or woman, good for them. I am not in the business of judging or shaming people over relationships.

This is also not a Black women should be ok with "dating down" thread which is another topic entirely. I think the bus driver question (an unskilled, low wage job) is a bit hard honestly. A skilled blue collar tradesman, a computer guy without a college degree, or a construction manager with a lot of experience would have been a more telling question, but I digress.

What I want to do is dead this theme (accepted by many Black men and women) that educated Black women are forced into IR in order to find a partner of educational parity or that Black women that date/marry out, particularly to White men, are usually getting a more equal (or higher level) partner than if they dated/married Black men. That just isn't true for most situations except the highest education (like PhD), and even then there still isn't a huge difference.

Again, marriage data is pretty spotty nationally so I used the birth records from the CDC Wonder natality database like in earlier posts. It basically collects birth cert data from across the Union over many year. Many birth questionnaires have the race and education of the mother and father.

In short, if you look at Black women that are

1. Prime marriage age (25-34)
2. Not Hispanic
3. Have a bachelors degree or higher
4. Have had at least one child from 2016-2021

First, 292k Black women in this group had kids with Black men and 26k had kids with White men. That's an 11X difference for all you Coli posters who keep claiming educated BW are all secret wenches and running to get away from Black men :steviej:

Comparing the level of education of the Black and White men they have kids with is pretty telling. First, for both groups only slightly above 60% of the fathers has a bachelors or higher. Second the gap in % between WM with at least college and Black men is only 3%. That affects less than 1,000 BW in that time period from this data. Also over half that gap comes from the doctorate degree level (which is usually a BW also with a doctorate; data not shown).

Second, and important for those claiming educated BW who stay with BM "date down excessively", almost the same percentage of educated BW had kids with WM with a high school degree or less as with BM. Same with WM and BM with Associates degrees.

Finally, if you lump all men with some higher education (College+, Associates, some College) the gap almost disappears.

Black Father​
White Father​
Gap​
Some College​
20.2%​
18.0%​
-2.2%​
Associates​
9.1%​
9.5%​
0.4%​
Bachelors​
33.4%​
34.6%​
1.3%​
Masters​
14.2%​
14.0%​
-0.2%​
Doctorate​
3.7%​
5.6%​
2.0%​
Some Post Secondary Schooling​
80.5%​
81.7%​
1.2%​
College+ (Bachelors, Masters, PhD)​
60.3%​
63.7%​
3.4%​
HS or less​
19.5%​
18.3%​
-1.2%​

That's all I am saying. People should do what makes them happy but stop acting like people are leveling up in IR, it isn't true.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Because it has economic mobility implications for Black men.

Maybe political implications as well.

:mjlol:No it doesn’t you fukking sissy

@Voice of Reason
has a point. If upper class Black men who IR aren't enhancing their wealth but upper class IR Black women who IR do, it can promote a certain narrative.

Also look at many of the promoted political Black women in the Democratic Party now. It is interesting how those elected by Black districts usually have Black spouses but appointed ones (including almost all the nominees for the SCOTUS seat KBJ got) increasingly do not. Will that affect their representation of our interests? Time will tell...

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
I'm so glad I live in a world totally opposite of y'all.

Im so glad I don't live in a world where cacs are taking all of the black women and it's all I think about.

I'm so glad I live in a world where 99% of the black women I see are with a black man.

I feel so sorry for some of y'all.
I imagine you live in the South or East coast. I live on the outskirts of LA, and I see Black women with other races of men a lot.