Dr. Boyce Watkins vs Tariq Nasheed vs Curtis Sc00n

Spin

All Star
Daps
This isn't a "who is better thread", but rather an acknowledgement of the different black voices that are out there speaking up for the cause. From the 60's up until recently, most of the voices have been from a religious or pure scholarly background. Examples being Martin, Farrakhan, Cornell West, etc. With the advancement of social media, the new era of voices seem to be coming from everywhere.

Dr. Boyce Watkins- While Watkins is a PHD scholar, he's not interested in bouncing around every Ivy League college to give talks or lectures. He has gone straight to the people via Youtube and producing his own books, newsletters, etc. He speaks out strongly in support of blacks starting their own business's or at least having side income streams. He was able to leave his prominent teaching position because he already laid the groundwork for his own line of products. Watkins engages the hip-hop/sports/etc crowd to bring in younger listeners. At the same time, he speaks articulate and can hold a conversation with the best of them. He seems to really be fond of Cornell West. I actually feel Watkins is connecting with the everyday people better than West. Cornell is going to appeal to a certain segment that's already in that Ivy/high society realm where as Watkins is going for everyone else.

Tariq Nasheed- Known for his Hidden Colors documentaries and weekly podcast. Got his start on the scene making relationship books, but has transitioned into producing a more black empowerment product line. He gets some heat for his old books and some of his views. However, Tariq probably connects the best with the black male target audience that needs the most help. He doesn't have a PHD, but can still hold a conversation and debate if needed. What I respect about Tariq is his consistency and hustle. If he's not doing a show, he on tour somewhere or raising funds for another documentary. He also promotes black ownership as one of his main speaking points.

Curtis Sc00n- Sc00n is kind of in a category all to himself. He's not selling books, documentaries, or hosting podcasts, but shares all his information via Twitter. He shares stories of his past in Queens along with his views on racism and advocating self reliance. He is really vocal when it comes to the behind the scenes dealing of the entertainment industry. Some say he comes off as bitter because he hasn't made a bigger impact in that area. I find this tweets insightful and entertaining at the same time. It's obvious he has a plan and it's interesting watching it unfold on a daily basis.

The best thing about these "new voices" is they don't seem to be paid spokesmen. I don't agree with anyone 100%, but I always say it's better to have more voices aiming towards a similar goal than to have 1 person running the show.

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Sc00n is the gangster/scholar who about that street level legal hustle. He's an OG for real.

Tariq is a player that was affiliated with street life and saw a niche to get money. Street smart dude with entertainment aspirations.

Dr.Watkins is the true scholar of them all.

Takes all types to reach all types, hopefully people listen to one of them.

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
MY fave is Dr. Claud Anderson. He is strictly about getting black folk to think about that paper b4 anything else.