Dr. Dre is always called influential but is he really?

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
Before we get started... being hot and selling records does not automatically mean that you’re influential and there’s a difference between influencing people to make music and influencing the sound of their music... Nas likes to say he was inspired by the Jackson 5... that’s clearly the first kind of influence and not the second

Ok let’s get started

1A. No one ever bit his style of production
Except for Eminem and kids online who post “Dr. Dre type beats”. If he’s so influential then why does no one sound like him? :stopitslime:

1B. Both of his signature sounds aren’t his own
His 90’s sound wasn’t his unique sound, there were others on the west sounding like that even before the Chronic. 2001’s sound was Scott Storch’s formula that he created with Still DRE.

2. No one has ever tried to rap like him cuz he really can’t rap
Dre has always been a swagless and non-lyrical rapper and you gotta have one of the two (lyrics or swag)... he was lucky to have Snoop Dogg to help his first album sell

3. He's called the pioneer of gangsta rap but really isn't
Because Ice-T and NWA as a group established that shyt and arguably some cats before them too... solo Dre came years after. He might've been the first gangsta rap artist to go super mainstream but what's that worth when soon after Snoop, Ice Cube, Tupac, etc. all took his shine from him... so he's not the pioneer or even the biggest out of his era of gangsta rap

For someone who’s called influential on the same level as Kanye or Eminem he really doesn’t have the proof to back it up

I know a lot of y’all will be like Dre was hot so he has to be influential but break it down into beats and rhymes and Dre isn’t very influential at all :ehh:

:pachaha:

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
You're saying the West was this powerhouse in hip hop before Straight Outta Compton? :mjpls:

who discovered those guys in N.W.A.? :mjpls:

N.W.A. were still relevant after Cube left but what happened after Dr.Dre departed? :mjpls:

Who brought in Snoop which gave us access to Nate, Daz, and Kurupt :mjpls:

Death Row was arguably the best rap label ever. who jump started that label :mjpls:

you're saying MAD cats weren't using that G-Funk sound back in the 90's after Dr.Dre made that sound to put the West Coast on the throne :mjpls:

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
You're saying the West was this powerhouse in hip hop before Straight Outta Compton? :mjpls:

who discovered those guys in N.W.A.? :mjpls:

N.W.A. were still relevant after Cube left but what happened to N.W.A. after Dr.Dre left? :mjpls:

Who brought in Snoop which gave us access to Nate, Daz, and Kurupt :mjpls:

Death Row was arguably the best rap label ever. who jump started that label :mjpls:

you're saying MAD cats weren't using that G-Funk sound back in the 90's after Dr.Dre made the westcoast loyal :mjpls:

Damn, OP looking at this post like :

mma_facepalm_gif.gif

Djalminha

Pro
Daps
Reppin
/UK/Birmingham
Kanye last call;

And at that time, like the drums really weren't soundin' right to me
so I went and um, I was listening to Dre Chronic 2001 at that time
and really I just, like bit the drums off Xxplosive and put it like
with it sped up, sampled, and now it's kind of like my whole style
when it started, when he rapped on 'This Can't be Life.'
And that was like, really the first beat of that kind that was on the Dynasty album

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
You're saying the West was this powerhouse in hip hop before Straight Outta Compton? :mjpls: - Dre only has a small part in that, Eazy and Ice Cube were bigger factors

who discovered those guys in N.W.A.? :mjpls: - Jerry Heller put them on

N.W.A. were still relevant after Cube left but what happened to N.W.A. after Dr.Dre left? :mjpls: - you can't blame the split-up on Dre they had fokked up business all around

Who brought in Snoop which gave us access to Nate, Daz, and Kurupt :mjpls: - Snoop practically put Dre on, not the other way around, dude was on all of his singles and was the far better artist

Death Row was arguably the best rap label ever. who jump started that label :mjpls: - Suge Knight

you're saying MAD cats weren't using that G-Funk sound back in the 90's after Dr.Dre made the westcoast loyal :mjpls: - Above the Law and Quik were both on g-funk before Dre
Answers bolded :ahh:

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
Kanye last call;

And at that time, like the drums really weren't soundin' right to me
so I went and um, I was listening to Dre Chronic 2001 at that time
and really I just, like bit the drums off Xxplosive and put it like
with it sped up, sampled, and now it's kind of like my whole style
when it started, when he rapped on 'This Can't be Life.'
And that was like, really the first beat of that kind that was on the Dynasty album

That's one Dre inspired beat in Kanye's entire discography :comeon:

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
Dre broke snoop, eminem, game and 50 into the industry

Close thread

I give him credit for Snoop but really Snoop helped Dre blow up too so it's even :ld:

Eminem, 50, and Game are just good choices he made as a label owner that doesn't demonstrate his musical influence

And outside of Em, 50, and Game dudes don't really be on Dre's sound like that :usure:

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
Answers bolded :ahh:

Death Row was arguably the best rap label ever. who jump started that label - Suge Knight

I had to laugh about that one a little bit.

The Chronic was what made Death Row even known.

go ahead and get educated

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qwhvyUTBB4&feature=relmfu"]Welcome To Death Row - Part - 2/3 - YouTube[/ame]

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
I had to laugh about that one a little bit.

The Chronic was what made Death Row even known.

First of all its not the best rap label ever

Second, it could've been Doggystyle too if that came out first

Dre just happened to be the first to come out, so what? :manny: like I said Snoop was really the star of that album

And Suge practically saved Dre's career post-NWA
Dre was the least significant MC in NWA and Suge gave him a shot to put out an album