Drake vs Kendrick - The Long Game…. :no Diddy:

Jards

All Star
Daps
This might be a bit too tin foil but what ever side you fall on (Drake, Kendrick or neutral), I think the industry attack on Drake is too coordinated to not have a long play in mind. A lot of posters have made the point that if you’re getting Drake out the paint, you better have a good idea of what the landscape looks like moving forward because he financially contributes too much to too many stakeholders.

What if however the play isn’t to replace him as the figurehead with another rapper but to shake up a genre that was stagnant by all reports. It was being said that Afrobeats was the new genre of choice that would be prioritised - that’s probably not sustainable though as it’s unlikely that a genre that’s not from the US will dominate the US charts over long term period.

As long as Drake has been on top, the south has been on top for 20 years and while the players have changed, from Wayne, T.I and Jeezy to Future and Thug to Lil Baby, etc, the rap scene doesn’t look that much different to what it looked like in early 2000s - it’s evolved but slowly. The south can only carry the game on its back for so long so what it the play is to bring another region in to pick up the slack and diversify the sound of the genre? New York have the Boom Bap sound which is being led by acts such as Griselda, etc but in terms of radio play and mass market adoption, it’s not gonna move like Trap is/was moving. Chicago and NY Drill in terms of the sound works but they’re too aggressive for the girls to shake ass to.

West Coast however got a scene bubbling on the low - there’s acts like Kalan Fr.Fr, Larry June, Mozzy, G Perico, Greedo, etc who can tour nationally (and in some cases internationally) and in terms of the sound, it’s something that can play nationally like when Mustard had his run 10 years ago. The narrative on the west coast is that the gang politics holds the scene back - outside of the Drake attack lines however, the main line Kendrick has been pushing is that people don’t like the west and the new narrative post ‘Not Like Us’ is that Kendrick has united the coast. The track now is most likely gonna be the new number 1 song on the chart so it’s the perfect Trojan horse to usher in the west coast sound on a national level.

I said in another thread I was confused as to why the producers Kendrick was working with on the diss tracks (Cardo, Alchemist and Mustard) are so openly spitting in Drake’s face when being a producer relies heavily on label relationships and they’ve benefitted reputationally, financially or in terms of critical acclaim working with him. Pushing the west coast sound significantly benefits Cardo and Mustard though and even though Alchemist is more Boom Bap, he’s heaving represents LA so a shift in the scene benefits all.

Why Future, Metro and anyone non-LA affiliated would play into this I don’t know - maybe its opportunity to get out of the top guy’s shadow. Before the beef went full throttle last week though, Drake was posting pictures of Nas’ manager who has been working with Kendrick and has also worked extensively with Future so he seems to think he is a key figure in this. ‘Like That’ and ‘Not Like Us’ going number 1 indicates however that general public is tired of Drake and are ready for a change and this is the perfect opportunity to reset the landscape.

Again very tin foil but I don’t think everything we’ve seen over the past month and a half is by chance.

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
nJ5jrYo.gif

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
It's not that deep. Kendrick just wanted to decapitate him. He been said it for years. Aubrey was the one who had the machine behind him after pushups dropped. Everybody was saying Kendrick was scared. Now after Kendrick bodied him they're switching sides cause they realize they were wrong. Y'all just gotta accept that boy got cooked. Wasn't no conspiracy to have him eliminated, he just wasn't good enough :mjlol:

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
The main line Kendrick has been pushing is that people don’t like the west and the new narrative post ‘Not Like Us’ is that Kendrick has united the coast. The track now is most likely gonna be the new number 1 song on the chart so it’s the perfect Trojan horse to usher in the west coast sound on a national level.
:ahh:

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
People are just enjoying the songs and gossip. If 2 weeks go by without anyone dissing each other, people will move on and latch onto something else.

Probably the most significant thing that affected the industry is that it’s been a terrible time for other artists (not named Taylor Swift) to drop

Other than that, all these dudes did was give dusty oldhead podcasts some content

straightcash

All Star
Daps
This exchange of diss songs wasn't planned, it just happened. Kendrick fired the opening shot but Drake made the miscalculation of calling everyone else out. He burned too many bridges at the same time and that's why everyone piled on top of him.

So there was obviously no premeditated plan to get him outta here, and that's not a plan they can pick up now either.
Drake is a huge star and he's Jewish. As long as there's not too many Jewish rappers who are huge, there's zero chance the REAL industry who owns everything is going to kick out whoever is doing it big which happens to be Drake.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
I think it's a combination of things and your theory makes a lot of sense and is most likely true. Based on how he's been moving for a minute outside of that I think it's also several other things like doing bad business, messy personal beefs and touching the stove too much on street shyt he shouldn't be involving himself with. Dude has more money than god and a lot of ego and probably does a lot of drugs and that's a recipe for disaster.

ObsidianDev

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OH
Theory would have some credence for me if it didn't involve the rap industry's biggest cash cow having a hit diss track branding him as a pedo and its most respected artist being suspected of being a wife beater.

That'd be like if a pimp threw acid in the face of his bottom bytch: scarring her and hurting her ability to make sales.

If the attacks from the opposing sides didn't involve one being viewed as hip hop's Dan Schneider and the other being viewed as the shea butter version of Ike Turner, then it'd be believable.