DRAM LED lit up on Asus mobo, pc not booting

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
@Ciggavelli help, breh

If one mem stick is faulty does it stop the pc from booting at all? What can I do to fix this? I have 4 memory slots of DDR4

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
@Ciggavelli help, breh

If one mem stick is faulty does it stop the pc from booting at all? What can I do to fix this? I have 4 memory slots of DDR4
It can make your pc randomly freeze and crash. Perhaps it can stop it from booting, but that’s hasn’t personally happened to me (though I definitely got the random crashes and freezes with faulty ram)

To test your ram, you gotta use memtest86+ one ram stick at a time. Test each ram stick for like 4+ hours each. Also take off any ram over or under clocking, or Memtest86+ won’t work

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
It can make your pc randomly freeze and crash. Perhaps it can stop it from booting, but that’s hasn’t personally happened to me (though I definitely got the random crashes and freezes with faulty ram)

To test your ram, you gotta use memtest86+ one ram stick at a time. Test each ram stick for like 4+ hours each. Also take off any ram over or under clocking, or Memtest86+ won’t work
Facts.

Could also just be a dead RAM slot. I would run a stick of ram in each slot first to rule out an issue with the mobo before dedicating hours to testing the actual RAM.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps

Facts.

Could also just be a dead RAM slot. I would run a stick of ram in each slot first to rule out an issue with the mobo before dedicating hours to testing the actual RAM.
Thanks, brehs. Also, the ram slots are A1 A2 B1 B2, assuming one is broken, can I put RAM in all the remaining ones? Or do I have to remove the other corresponding channel as well?

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Thanks, brehs. Also, the ram slots are A1 A2 B1 B2, assuming one is broken, can I put RAM in all the remaining ones? Or do I have to remove the other corresponding channel as well?
All of that is only relevant as it relates to running Dual/Quad Channel. Refer to your manual.

All you need to do first is put one stick of ram in the first slot and try to boot. shutdown. move ram to the next slot and try to boot. Repeat until you're sure all ram slots are active.

Next, take another stick of ram and see if it boots. Do this with your remaining sticks of RAM.