Dutch woman, 28, to be euthanized over mental illness after psychiatrist said it will 'never' get any better

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
God is not our genie nor do we ask for material items. Prayer is a petition, you only got that part right. Keep laughing, you won’t be laughing as you cross over on your deathbed
Be an adult and write shyt like this brehs :mjlol:

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
We killed god and didn't replace it with anything. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There is long documented history of the mistreatment, abuse, and even murder of certain demographics by American "Doctors" and "Scientists"

Everyone knows this.

Which is why they don't want abortions. Why they claim "god is against suicide!" And they are staunchly against euthanasia. Once you are dead then they don't have control over you. They can't tax you, they can't mistreat you and run trials.

But let a dog or a cat get sick, then euthanasia is humane thing. It's the right thing to do.

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
and if they don't got it, force them to live?! :gucci:

what a shytty reality.:francis:
if they want to go the legal sanctioned route with assistance of a healthcare provider then they'll get their end of life plans in order.

:manny:

it's not about being forced to live, but making it clear that if they choose to go through the process that it's well thought out. not deciding based on stuck in a rut woe is me type shyt.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Dutch woman, 29, granted euthanasia approval on grounds of mental suffering​

Zoraya ter Beek, who has has chronic depression, anxiety, trauma and unspecified personality disorder, expected to end her life soon

Harriet Sherwood

Thu 16 May 2024 07.00 EDT

Zoraya ter Beek sitting on a sofa in her home.
View image in fullscreen
‘I feel relief. It’s been such a long fight,’ says Zoraya ter Beek, who applied for euthanasia three and a half years ago. Photograph: Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The Free Press

A 29-year-old Dutch woman who has been granted her request for assisted dying on the grounds of unbearable mental suffering is expected to end her life in the coming weeks, fuelling a debate across Europe over the issue.

Zoraya ter Beek received the final approval last week for assisted dying after a three and a half year process under a law passed in the Netherlands in 2002.

Her case has caused controversy as assisted dying for people with psychiatric illnesses in the Netherlands remains unusual, although the numbers are increasing. In 2010, there were two cases involving psychiatric suffering; in 2023, there were 138: 1.5% of the 9,068 euthanasia deaths.

An article about her case, published in April, was picked up by international media, prompting an outcry that caused Ter Beek huge distress.

She said it was understandable that cases such as hers – and the broader issue of whether assisted dying should be legal – were controversial. “People think that when you’re mentally ill, you can’t think straight, which is insulting,” she told the Guardian. “I understand the fears that some disabled people have about assisted dying, and worries about people being under pressure to die.

“But in the Netherlands, we’ve had this law for more than 20 years. There are really strict rules, and it’s really safe.”

Under Dutch law, to be eligible for an assisted death, a person must be experiencing “unbearable suffering with no prospect of improvement”. They must be fully informed and competent to take such a decision.

Zoraya ter Beek standing in a doorway in her home, next to a large window
View image in fullscreen

Ter Beek’s chronic mental health conditions have affected her since childhood. Photograph: Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The Free Press

Ter Beek’s difficulties began in early childhood. She has chronic depression, anxiety, trauma and unspecified personality disorder. She has also been diagnosed with autism. When she met her partner, she thought the safe environment he offered would heal her. “But I continued to self-harm and feel suicidal.”

She embarked on intensive treatments, including talking therapies, medication and more than 30 sessions of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). “In therapy, I learned a lot about myself and coping mechanisms, but it didn’t fix the main issues. At the beginning of treatment, you start out hopeful. I thought I’d get better. But the longer the treatment goes on, you start losing hope.”

After 10 years, there was “nothing left” in terms of treatment. “I knew I couldn’t cope with the way I live now.” She had thought about taking her own life but the violent death by suicide of a schoolfriend and its impact on the girl’s family deterred her.

“I finished ECT in August 2020, and after a period of accepting there was no more treatment, I applied for assisted dying in December that year. It’s a long and complicated process. It’s not like you ask for assisted dying on a Monday and you’re dead by Friday.

“I was on a waiting list for assessment for a long time, because there are so few doctors willing to be involved in assisted dying for people with mental suffering. Then you have to be assessed by a team, have a second opinion about your eligibility, and their decision has to be reviewed by another independent doctor.

“In the three and a half years this has taken, I’ve never hesitated about my decision. I have felt guilt – I have a partner, family, friends and I’m not blind to their pain. And I’ve felt scared. But I’m absolutely determined to go through with it.

“Every doctor at every stage says: ‘Are you sure? You can stop at any point.’ My partner has been in the room for most conversations in order to support me, but several times he has been asked to leave so the doctors can be sure I’m speaking freely.”

When the article about her case – which Ter Beek said had many inaccuracies and misrepresentations – was published in April, her inbox “exploded”. Most of the comments came from outside the Netherlands, many from the US. She swiftly deleted all her social media accounts.

“People were saying: ‘Don’t do it, your life is precious.’ I know that. Others said they had a cure, like a special diet or drugs. Some told me to find Jesus or Allah, or told me I’d burn in hell. It was a total shytstorm. I couldn’t handle all the negativity.”

Zoraya ter Beek lying on a sofa next to her partner, whose face is out of shot.
View image in fullscreen

Ter Beek will die at the home she shares with her partner. Photograph: Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The Free Press

After meeting her medical team, Ter Beek expects her death will be in the next few weeks. “I feel relief. It’s been such a long fight.”

On the appointed day, the medical team will come to Ter Beek’s house. “They’ll start by giving me a sedative, and won’t give me the drugs that stop my heart until I’m in a coma. For me, it will be like falling asleep. My partner will be there, but I’ve told him it’s OK if he needs to leave the room before the moment of death,” she said.

“Now the point has come, we’re ready for it and we’re finding a certain peace. I feel guilty too. But sometimes when you love someone, you have to let them go.”

Additional reporting by Senay Boztas in Amsterdam

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
Her man is a soldier, and more honorable than me. I couldn't trust layin up wit no suicidal chick (who had mental issues on top of that). :hubie:

A person like that fukk around and slit your throat in your sleep, then turnaround and off herself. :francis:

You think your doin her a favor tryin to convince her to live, and the voice in her head tellin her you're in the way, and gotta go. :mjlol:

Couldn't be me. Good luck on her journey tho, whichever direction she chooses to go.