Easier methods to learn math found

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
A Mathematician Has Created a Teaching Method That’s Proving There’s No Such Thing as a Bad Math Student - Quartz - Pocket

When Solomon conducted the pilot program on JUMP, she said it was the small, incremental steps which made the math accessible to all students and allowed some of them to experience success in math for the first time. “Because they can master the increments, they are getting the checks and building the mindset that their efforts can amount to something. That experience motivates them to continue,” she said. By continuing, they practice more math, get more skills, and become the math people they thought they couldn’t be.

Mighton says the small steps are critical. “I am not going to move until everyone can do this,” he said. “Math is like a ladder—if you miss a step, it’s hard to go on. There are a set of sequences.” He has dubbed his method “micro discovery” or “guided discovery.”

There is other evidence for its success. When the Manhattan Charter School piloted the program in in 2013-14 with its fourth graders, it experienced the highest increase in math scores in all of New York City. Now every class in the school is using it.

The program was used in Lambeth, one of the poorest areas of London, with more than 450 of its worst-performing students. At the time they started, 14 percent were performing at grade level: when the kids took their grade six exams (called Key Stage 2 exams in the UK), 60 percent passed. Aduba said it worked “brilliantly,” especially for kids who had been struggling.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A Mathematician Has Created a Teaching Method That’s Proving There’s No Such Thing as a Bad Math Student - Quartz - Pocket

When Solomon conducted the pilot program on JUMP, she said it was the small, incremental steps which made the math accessible to all students and allowed some of them to experience success in math for the first time. “Because they can master the increments, they are getting the checks and building the mindset that their efforts can amount to something. That experience motivates them to continue,” she said. By continuing, they practice more math, get more skills, and become the math people they thought they couldn’t be.

Mighton says the small steps are critical. “I am not going to move until everyone can do this,” he said. “Math is like a ladder—if you miss a step, it’s hard to go on. There are a set of sequences.” He has dubbed his method “micro discovery” or “guided discovery.”

There is other evidence for its success. When the Manhattan Charter School piloted the program in in 2013-14 with its fourth graders, it experienced the highest increase in math scores in all of New York City. Now every class in the school is using it.

The program was used in Lambeth, one of the poorest areas of London, with more than 450 of its worst-performing students. At the time they started, 14 percent were performing at grade level: when the kids took their grade six exams (called Key Stage 2 exams in the UK), 60 percent passed. Aduba said it worked “brilliantly,” especially for kids who had been struggling.
He is right. Sounds like a great initiative.

I remember hitting Trig and I was pretty much done with math. :russ:.

An incremental step to get me up to speed might have done the trick.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Article goes into the benefits of this method but I'd like to have seen at least one fully fleshed out example using this technique. They started with one using 72/3 but then veered off :francis:

As far as I remember, math was always taught incrementally by introducing simple concepts first then moving onto more complex stuff once you have a good grasp. What exactly is this new method?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Article goes into the benefits of this method but I'd like to have seen at least one fully fleshed out example using this technique. They started with one using 72/3 but then veered off :francis:

As far as I remember, math was always taught incrementally by introducing simple concepts first then moving onto more complex stuff once you have a good grasp. What exactly is this new method?

Yeah. That article didn't do the best job at explaining what it was. This page might be more helpful. How JUMP Works | JUMP Math