Fenian

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Govan
Easter Rising: Events held to mark 100 years since start of rebellion is held
  • 8 hours ago
  • From the section Europe
The centenary of the day the Easter Rising started in the Republic of Ireland has been marked on Sunday by a remembrance service and wreath-laying ceremony in Dublin.

The rebellion, an attempt to overthrow British rule in Ireland, began on 24 April 1916.

President Michael D Higgins laid a wreath where 14 executed leaders of the Rising are buried at Arbour Hill.

Relatives of the 16 leaders executed after the Rising attended the event.

Before the wreath-laying, a remembrance service was led by the leader of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Eamon Martin, and Diarmuid Martin, the archbishop of Dublin.

Archbishop Diarmuid Martin spoke of commemoration as not just looking to the past, but a commitment to put in place those ideals expressed in the Proclamation.

A number of flag-raising ceremonies are taking place in various locations in the Republic of Ireland on Sunday including Fingal, Longford, Louth, Roscommon, Waterford and Sligo.

Several parades have been held in Belfast in Northern Ireland to commemorate the centenary of the Rising.

A protest was held by loyalists at a flashpoint at Royal Avenue, but the parade passed off peacefully. The main parade made its way to Milltown cemetery.

The Easter Rising was quelled within six days by British troops, but despite its failure it is seen as a significant stepping stone to the eventual creation of the Republic of Ireland and the partition of Ireland.

More than 450 people were killed and 2,500 injured during the fighting.

Last month, hundreds of thousands of people lined the streets of Dublin where a parade marked the culmination of a series of centenary commemorations organised by the Irish government.

The military parade was the largest ever staged in the Republic of Ireland.

Easter Rising: Events held to mark 100 years since start of rebellion is held - BBC News

You may have failed but your bravery inspired the people of ireland to keep fighting our British oppressors and almost expel them completely from our land. :salute:

RIP

Pádraic Pearse
Thomas Clarke
Thomas MacDonagh
Joseph Plunkett
Edward Daly
Michael O'Hanrahan
Willie Pearse
John MacBride
Eamonn Ceantt
Michael Mallin
Sean Heuston
Con Colbert
Thomas Kent
Seán MacDiarmada
James Connolly
Sir Roger Casement

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Fenian

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Govan
I believe I watched a film years back on this. Can't remember the name though.

Any ideas @Fenian? What are the most popular films on the Easter Rising?
could have been the wind that shakes the barley. not about easter rising but it is about the armed struggle that followed and eventually succeeded.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fukk is this doing in here.

Irish people are fukkin racist.

My cousins Irish he recieved crazy abuse growing up. His mum's family disowned her and all that for having a baby with a black man.

When I went to Ireland they just crazy racist.

Negged

Fenian

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Govan
The fukk is this doing in here.

Irish people are fukkin racist.

My cousins Irish he recieved crazy abuse growing up. His mum's family disowned her and all that for having a baby with a black man.

When I went to Ireland they just crazy racist.

Negged

The pira was very supportive of black revolutionary movements and even helped bomb apartheid targets in South Africa and a couple of racists in ireland doesn't change that. They are a minority.

I'd be willing to bet they where Protestant unionists. Or at least soup taking west Brits from Dublin.