Eating for Optimal Mental Health

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Eating for Optimal Mental Health|Black Mental Health Alliance

Eating food can change your moods for better AND for worse.

Choose wisely :ufdup:

One section:

Feeding Your Neurotransmitters In Your Gut
Not only is it important to nourish the neurotransmitters in your brain that impact mental health, such as serotonin, but those located in the gut have to be maintained with the right food. Nourishing the gut, also referred to as the “second brain,” is important when managing your mental health. Good bacteria thrives in the gut in order to keep your immune system healthy and your body free of disease.

The brain-gut connection is the enteric nervous system which relies on the same neurons and neurotransmitters that are found in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). The enteric nervous system uses neurotransmitters such as serotonin to communicate and interact with the central nervous system. (90% of our serotonin is in our gut.)

This “brain-gut axis” can get negatively impacted by stress. When a person has the fight-or-flight response during times of stress, digestion slows or even stops so that the body can divert all its internal energy to facing a perceived threat. Therefore, the health of the gut is jeopardized and the appropriate amount of serotonin is not produced.

EDIT: Direct link to the table of foods

https://secureservercdn.net/192.169...uploads/2019/12/Food-and-Nutrients-for-MH.pdf

Last edited:
Daps
I thought an actual list of foods that activate the respective neurotransmitters would be provided.....

It was listed under resource information at the bottom of the page.

https://secureservercdn.net/192.169...uploads/2019/12/Food-and-Nutrients-for-MH.pdf

Suggestions? I did a quick Google search and only yogurt is in my diet.

Probiotic yogurt, Kefir, Tempeh, Kombucha and etc.

Also, look into prebiotic and probiotic food good for your gut health as well.

Probiotics and Prebiotics: What’s the Difference?

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I been taking B12 lozenges daily for about a month and it could just be a placebo but I feel much more alert and focused.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I’ve been preaching proper gut health in here for years now. Nutrition is the most important thing for you that you pretty much have full control of.

*Starts day with:

-Irish Sea Moss and fresh Grapefuit juice

-black/blue berries