Eddie Murphy To Play Godfather Of Funk George Clinton In Biopic

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
Have they released dolomite is my name on 4K yet? Haven't seen it in a minute but I'd love to own a physical copy.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset

A classic.

I feel like this one is a little underappreciated. It's GC at his lysergic best: 10 minutes of some dusted out dark space psychedelifunk meets Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies- Bootsy Collins [bass] and Bernie Worrell [synthesizers] own this one. I'll bet money the great Prince Rodgers Nelson loved this record.

Man, they BETTER DO A DAMN GOOD JOB.

(I made a couple of George Clinton smilies but didn't think they were appropriate. Feel free to take them if you like them.)

gc1.png

gc2.png

Last edited:

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
A classic.

I feel like this one is a little underappreciated. It's GC at his lysergic best: 10 minutes of some dusted out dark space psychedelifunk meets Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies- Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell own this one. I'll bet money the great Prince Rodgers Nelson loved this record.

Man, they BETTER DO A DAMN GOOD JOB.

I LOVE THIS JOINT. CLINTON IS A COTDAMN GENIUS.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I LOVE THIS JOINT. CLINTON IS A COTDAMN GENIUS.

George Clinton was definitely the conductor and the harbinger of the band's mythology, wacked out humor, and the closest to a true "lead" vocalist, tho everybody sang, really. I feel like George gets a liiiiittle too much credit. Like, look at Eddie Hazel: baddest guitarist ever. Played like Hendrix if he got wet... Garry Shider, too; Tiki Fulwood; then there's Bernie Worrell and Bootsy Collins who both had careers before and after working with George...Bootsy with James Brown and his later Rubber Band; Bernie Worrell is equally famous for his work with Talking Heads as he is for his shyt with P-Funk...

The fact that George Clinton could corral all these brilliant motherfukkers in one room after feeding them all LSD and wheelbarrows fulla weed then CHURNING (yes, churning... P-Funk was two bands, who put out a TON of material constantly while touring to make ends meet (and pay for that Mothership/light show/costumes/etc)) out some of the greatest and influential albums not only in Funk but in Rock & Roll as well is just crazy... that grind... they had to be one of the hardest working bands of all time.

And some of George's stories are wild as fukk. I'll paste a lil bit:

The colorful Clinton, who was literally born in an outhouse, provides a perfect entry point for a style that celebrates its own nonconformity. The episode manages to highlight party stories as well as provide some insight on the group’s musical endeavors, including an early failed Motown audition, drug-fueled recording of the hit song, “Atomic Dog,” and the creation of the mothership tour prop. Did you know that Clinton, a Trekkie, was asked to do the music for “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”? Little trivia bits like these pop up everywhere.

You’ll learn about the time the entire band, while high on acid and looking for a shortcut in Indiana, accidentally drove their car through the shooting set of George Romero’s classic horror film, “Night of Living Dead.” As zombie actors surrounded them, a gravelly-voiced Clinton recalls that he could only scream repeatedly and wet his pants (“To this day, I still think that shyt is weird” he says).
Some of those crazy Detroit parties with bands like the Stooges, MC5... George almost marrying Iggy Pop. :dame:
I gotta go before I write a damn book on this dude. I'm a huge fan. :blessed:

So yeah. This movie better be fukking good. :birdman:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
:ohhh:

If they have the scene with George and Bootsy going fishing in the Bermuda Triangle :krs:

Big Boi looked like he had all the fun in the world playing George for one episode of 'American Soul' a couple of years ago. Eddie's about to go IN.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I don't know this story... tell us!

Bootsy tells the story on Part 2 of his Questlove Supreme interview if you want the whole story.

Basically Bootsy and George went night fishing in the Bermuda Triangle, hoping to meet some aliens. :russ: