Education Usually Improves Health. But Racism Sabotages Benefits For Black Men

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
More education typically leads to better health, yet Black men in the U.S. are not getting the same benefit as other groups, research suggests.

The reasons for the gap are vexing, experts say, but may provide an important window into unique challenges Black men face as they try to gain not only good health but also equal footing in the U.S.

Generally, higher education means better paying jobs and health insurance, healthier behaviors and longer lives. This is true across nearly all demographic groups. And studies show life expectancy is higher for Black men with a college degree or higher, compared with those who have not finished high school

But the increase is not as big as it is for whites. This comes on top of the many health obstacles Black men already face. They are more likely to die from chronic illnesses like cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer than white men, and their average life expectancy is lower. Experts point to a variety of factors that might play a role, but many say the most pervasive is racism.

Researchers note that while Black men and women face many of the same challenges, Black women generally have a longer life expectancy than Black men. (They also point out that for now it is difficult to draw conclusions about Hispanic people because of a lack of studies on these issues.) As a result, many experts say that these health problems stem from a persistent devaluation of Black men in U.S. society

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Yeah once I got a college degree I stopped eating fried chicken, baked macaroni, and ribs. I only eat grilled chicken, vegetables, and avocado toast.

I also stopped listening to rap music and switched to beethoven classical music. A college degree has done wonders for my mental and physical health.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I do believe it causes some kind of stress reaction.

It’s why I fukk with wfh. Have to deal with less micro aggressions.i get to be authentically myself and get paid.

this but this also leads to career progression ceilings since we aren't playing the game, granted you can job hop when needed but full Remote jobs are still a luxury vs the norm

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I wonder if any of this has to do with us not going to doctor's that often. When they mention we still deal with heart disease and diabetes, I'm kind of reluctant to point to racism (maybe cancer, tho). Unless we're talking about treatment here. Prevention for those is more on the individual.

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
Self education is key.

Your education stops when they stop teaching you. Or you only learn what they want to teach you.

Black men need to invest more into their self education outside of the system if they want to maximize the benefits of having knowledge..... that leads to a better life.

Unfortunately a lot of brothas and sistas only pay for information if a degree/job opportunity is attached to it.

Mentorship is a cheat code as well. The most successful and healthy people I know had mentors....not just a degree.