Edwin Valero sparring

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what about him you didnt like boxing wise?

His infamous gym stories just didn’t translate to the ring for me. He had some power, but passed before he faced top guys.

He was a solid fighter, but he had a lot of hype, that I just didn’t see when it came to his in ring performances. He was just basic. No defense. He was nowhere near Pacqauio who he was often compared to.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
His infamous gym stories just didn’t translate to the ring for me. He had some power, but passed before he faced top guys.

He was a solid fighter, but he had a lot of hype, that I just didn’t see when it came to his in ring performances. He was just basic. No defense. He was nowhere near Pacqauio who he was often compared to.

Agree with that.

The only truly impressive win was his last fight against De Marco. His greatest attributes were power (obviously), conditioning, will and lateral footwork.

Let's be honest, wailing on motherfukkers in sparring is kinda lame, but it makes for great hysteria and hype in the background.

He had the capacity to beat anyone, including Pacquiao, his manic tenacity and drive mixed with power at that weight are a threat no matter which way you look at it.

But was he as good as the hype around him? Nah, he got by on the aforementioned, a top elite guy is a different story and he never faced them.

Yayo, trauma and a violent disposition is a dangerous mix no matter which way you cut it.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
There was one writer, I think Doug Fischer, that was always praising Valero and talking about how great he was but was flying under the radar.

After the murder and suicide, I remember him writing something like “I’m sad but not terribly surprised”.

Apparently he was a ticking time bomb for quite some time. I’ve been saying about Jermaine Taylor for the past few years. I’ll be glad if he doesn’t get involved in some tragic/fukked up thing like this.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
There was one writer, I think Doug Fischer, that was always praising Valero and talking about how great he was but was flying under the radar.

After the murder and suicide, I remember him writing something like “I’m sad but not terribly surprised”.

Apparently he was a ticking time bomb for quite some time. I’ve been saying about Jermaine Taylor for the past few years. I’ll be glad if he doesn’t get involved in some tragic/fukked up thing like this.

Eh i could be wrong, but didn't Jermaine Taylor already get knocked for slapping up a kid and his pops with a hammer? I think it already happened (tragic/fukked up.)

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Eh i could be wrong, but didn't Jermaine Taylor already get knocked for slapping up a kid and his pops with a hammer? I think it already happened (tragic/fukked up.)

Apparently a kid at some parade asked to take a pic with him or something, and Taylor gave him his title belt to hold and the kid dropped it. Taylor got angry and pulled a gun to the kid’s father’s head. He later went online and had some strange video where he (sort of) apologized and then said the parade didn’t have enough candy for the kids in attendance.

He also shot his cousin in the leg in an argument and had some other arrests. He was in a mental hospital and beat up some guy there.

It was troublesome that he was allowed to fight after the Abraham KO, he had a brain bleed.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Agree with that.

The only truly impressive win was his last fight against De Marco. His greatest attributes were power (obviously), conditioning, will and lateral footwork.

Let's be honest, wailing on motherfukkers in sparring is kinda lame, but it makes for great hysteria and hype in the background.

He had the capacity to beat anyone, including Pacquiao, his manic tenacity and drive mixed with power at that weight are a threat no matter which way you look at it.

But was he as good as the hype around him? Nah, he got by on the aforementioned, a top elite guy is a different story and he never faced them.

Yayo, trauma and a violent disposition is a dangerous mix no matter which way you cut it.

Yeah, his fans and ppl say he was learning technique in his last fights before he passed. But I don't see it, not even in his last fight ever. He showed a little, but nothing special at all.

So it's easy to compare him to Pac, but we will never know if he could have looked like Pac facing REAL opponents.

It's fun to fantasize about a passed fighter who was undefeated and had great power, but tbh lots of fighters come up the same way then start taking L's fast when they aren't facing tomato cans.

Also, I am appalled how Venezuelans stan so hard for him still. They don't give one fukk that he was a murderer of his own wife.