Empty office buildings may meet the same fate as zombie shopping malls

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I have seen many friends gain weight and become less disciplined with that work from home life
These are anecdotal as a lot of people have also gotten healthier between cooking more and/or using what was once their 1-2 hour commute to exercise instead.

I agree people shouldn’t become hermits but it’s solely a function of where you are in life. People who are married with kids, with or without work, their day to day is family. Those who have strong community and thriving third places, they are fine without work. Young 20 somethings fresh outta school who moved to a new area for a job? Now They absolutely should be pushing themselves to find clubs and social activities, go on dates, opt for a roommate vs solo living, etc to ensure they get enough social interaction

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I already see how this is going. When I get called back into the office, I'll have to spend on gas to get to the metro and around $80 a month for parking which isn't reimbursable. Like most talking points, people talk about the businesses hurting but never mention how people are impacted. Or they just don't give a shyt.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
The only people I feel bad for are the mom and pop restaurants downtown that make a living off corporate workers coming in for lunch. But I dont feel bad for these big companies and office developers at all. My sweet spot has always been in-office half the week, at home half the week
this. Oakland/Berkeley/SF are notoriously anti-chain, so our downtowns were full of local eateries, coffee shops, dry cleaners, and other services for office workers. They’ve been gutted and that’s really sad. Oakland is doing a better job at developing our downtown as a mix of residential and commercial vs SF which is purely commercial, but we won’t see commercial activity pick up until well after SF recovers as businesses are prone to lease there first before overfilling into Oakland.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
The irony in all of this is the work from home people are literally accelerating their extinction.

20 years from now instead of people, those same office buildings are going to be full of computers and servers. AI will eliminate those jobs.

You really think those companies are going to just give up that office space and take the L. No.

I worked in a call center for AT&T when it was at its peak. Then technology changed. Then outsourcing came in and the call center I worked in went from 4 floors full of reps it a ghost town in a matter of months. Social media and online assistance eliminated a ton of jobs.

AI has exploded in a short period of time. And it’s only going to improve. Instead of fighting it, you all ain’t doing nothing but embracing your extinction. Just like malls and big box stores.

It seems like people only want to go out of the house for leisure and that’s it. While everyone else serves you. That’s not sustainable. Corporations and the rich are good regardless. The people you work for an always looking for ways to cut payroll. You embrace technology, well, they brace it even more. They’re 10 steps ahead of you.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Other countries are not mirroring the US when it comes to these things, more so because of how their cities are designed.

There are a bunch of youtube channels that outline the differences in how the cities are constructed, and a lot of it has more to do with how these cities existed before the advent of cars and people accepting that public transportation is an essential service.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Cities did this to themselves. They set up an economy to exploit commuters, and now people have a way to avoid all that headache. Crazy tax levels on commercial real estate. Business jacking up lunchtime prices. KC as a special 1% tax on wages for anyone who works downtown but lives outside the city limits.