Entrepreneurs don’t have a special gene for risk—they come from families with money

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
At not point in this article are they saying you can't be an entrepreneur if you don't come from money.

At no point in this article does it suggest certain skillsets and personality traits are not more important than others.

But that's all I keep hearing you guys talking about.

So many Colipreneurs in their feelings ITT. Clearly being emotional won't stop you from being an entrepreneur either. :scusthov:

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
You are acting like female with that hoe babble, no logic or context in your entire post,

non entrepreneurs love arguing back and forth to no end but I wont play that game with you.

When I say mindset I mean, In regards to what you do with your money. If you come into some cash... do you buy some shyt you can floss with temporarily. Do you turn up? Or do you use that cash as an asset.

Give most people 100k and they will fukk it all off in a few months.

Learn how to articulate your thoughts before you approach me, kid. What you're describing is a financial plan, not a mindset you idiot.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Learn how to articulate your thoughts before you approach me, kid. What you're describing is a financial plan, not a mindset you idiot.

Nope it's an overall mindset

Not sure if you're born with it or if you learn it.

Some people have it, you don't.

Quote me again and I'll put you on ignore

Thabo

Pro
Daps
And how do you think you acquire capital, by having a plan and a strong work ethic.

Money don't make the man. If you believe the opposite you're already setting yourself up for a huge L.
If it was that easy we all would be millionaires.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First off...I appreciate the fact you can have a discussion w/o leaning on the typical internet insults.

Now...your example, and reasoning is exactly what im talking about when I said mindset is everything.

First...why would said person HAVE to start a biz where you need $30K?

Also...there are a ton of ways to make money nowadays.
I averaged around $70K when I was flipping used mens clothing from thrift stores.
A sales job is something damn near everyone can get...and you can make 6 figures if you work hard at it.

I mean...I could go on and on about how people can get the money they need.

If you think its impossible...it will be.

This is exactly what im talking about when I said our people are thinking about the wrong things.
The info is out there on how to get the money...but we are so focused on talking about why shyt wont work.

It comes down to low expectations, and little financial knowledge.

To make matters worse, black folks that are out there getting theres will be pushed to the side by their own people because they will be considered c00ns only because they dont think like the group.

Im a college dropout, with no real work experience other than serving tables in a restaurant.
Ive been working online the past few years....and decided I wanted to enter a certain industry because I want to start making real money.

You know what I did?
I got on Google and called every small business owner in the industry im interested in.

Some told me to kick rocks, and some said they didnt have time to deal w/ me because I have no experience.

But a few told me to come in and talk...and some other people gave me a few phone numbers to call.
I ended up in front of 3 men that have a ton of experience in the industry, and they gave me an opportunity to work with them.
So now I have 3 mentors showing me exactly what I need to do to get ahead...with the intention of me starting my own firm in 2 years.

That shyt wouldnt have happened if I sat in the house feeling sorry for myself because im black, have no education, and no work experience.

The world is much different than a lot of people perceive.

I understand exactly what youre saying because I used to think the same way...
...but once I got out here and started hustling I realized its not impossible.

Im talking getting rich via entrepreneurship/business, etc....

The numbers just arent there w/ black folks.
you do realize a black person thats trying to get his/her music off the ground is a business. thats not a job. its contract work to be honest. you're the commodity(vocals/rapping ability), or your beats are if you're trying to produce. These are legit businesses. But the problem is everyone is trying to do it and get rich trying or get rich or die trying i should say and most of us will die trying before we ever see any real money from it not because of a lack of effort or risk taking. actually too many of us are taking too many risks without having the pillow to fall back on like the REAL business owners that are rich in the real world. thats the part that most of of broke people dont know. Thats the part you cant see when you just watch the kardashians and others roll around in the newest luxury car or take that crazy trip on a private jet somewhere. The game is much deeper than most of us broke people want to admit. this is why you have people in here reading that article with actual FACTS to back it up and these dudes are STILL in denial. The reason they are in denial is because if what the article says is true. It just killed a lot of dudes high so to speak. imagine how many broke bruhs are out their grinding with a dream of making it big. then they find this out. thats a lot of sad bruhs. and these bruhs may have been told to go the school route, or certs route, or trade route. but they said naw...i'm a be the next great rapper. no. you aint. you aint that good. and you really dont have that great of a personality to be honest with you. you're a regular bruh from up the street. you will never have a million people checking for you on youtube. thats just life. doesnt mean you should stop doing it if you love to do it. it does mean you need to go find yourself a day job so you wont end up homeless in a few years.

and speaking of youtube. most of these dudes trying to be the next big thing dont even realize how much fake views and fake clicks are going down on the internet. they dont realize you have people who have 30k to blow on fake youtube hits, instagram hits, etc. to make it SEEM as if you're big. so once the lowlevel fans see that high number of clicks/views. they will jump on it and the fake views + the new real views - 100k views over night. but that will cost you a bit of cash that you probably dont have. which is exactly what the article is talking about. now someone may front you that kind of cash even if you're broke IF you have some type of insane talent. if you're just another decent rapper/decent beat maker. why would anyone blow their cash on you? they wont.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
First off...I appreciate the fact you can have a discussion w/o leaning on the typical internet insults.

Now...your example, and reasoning is exactly what im talking about when I said mindset is everything.

First...why would said person HAVE to start a biz where you need $30K?

Also...there are a ton of ways to make money nowadays.
I averaged around $70K when I was flipping used mens clothing from thrift stores.
A sales job is something damn near everyone can get...and you can make 6 figures if you work hard at it.

I mean...I could go on and on about how people can get the money they need.

If you think its impossible...it will be.

This is exactly what im talking about when I said our people are thinking about the wrong things.
The info is out there on how to get the money...but we are so focused on talking about why shyt wont work.

It comes down to low expectations, and little financial knowledge.

To make matters worse, black folks that are out there getting theres will be pushed to the side by their own people because they will be considered c00ns only because they dont think like the group.

Im a college dropout, with no real work experience other than serving tables in a restaurant.
Ive been working online the past few years....and decided I wanted to enter a certain industry because I want to start making real money.

You know what I did?
I got on Google and called every small business owner in the industry im interested in.

Some told me to kick rocks, and some said they didnt have time to deal w/ me because I have no experience.

But a few told me to come in and talk...and some other people gave me a few phone numbers to call.
I ended up in front of 3 men that have a ton of experience in the industry, and they gave me an opportunity to work with them.
So now I have 3 mentors showing me exactly what I need to do to get ahead...with the intention of me starting my own firm in 2 years.

That shyt wouldnt have happened if I sat in the house feeling sorry for myself because im black, have no education, and no work experience.

The world is much different than a lot of people perceive.

I understand exactly what youre saying because I used to think the same way...
...but once I got out here and started hustling I realized its not impossible.

Im talking getting rich via entrepreneurship/business, etc....

The numbers just arent there w/ black folks.

You're doing gods work right now but most of these cats ain't equipt to recieve game.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For yall that keep saying its just a mentality. NO. It's family wealth. and here's more proof. lets start with some of these entertainers.
36 Celebrities Who Were Rich Before They Were Famous
36 Celebrities Who Were Rich Before They Were Famous

lets just look at one of these people
Chevy Chases's maternal grandfather was Cornelius Vanderbilt Crane, heir to The Crane Company. Making him cousin to Anderson Cooper. His father's second wife was a member of the Folgers coffee family.
This dude Chevy was straight double dipping as a kid. Two ultra wealthy parents. that aint even fair. lol.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But aren't you also furthering the myth that if you were born with less you won't be able to climb the same economic ladder?

You will obviously have to work harder but that doesn't mean you can't climb.
NO NO NO NO NO. stop this. Read the article again. stop this lying to yourselves. it's not about working harder or smarter. It's about having more capital in the beginning. more money to play with so if something goes wrong you have money to try something else until one of your business plans actually does pan out. thats how real life rich people get rich and stay rich.

they dont do it from just working hard. thats not enough.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
All the arguments I am seeing here are attempting to discredit the article by suggesting skills or schemes that will allow you to gain access to capital.

Did you all not read the article? :patrice:
:mad:"I don't need capital from my parents! Gofundme exists! I'll call some millionaires and take them to lunch! I'll package molly-branded water!"

scarhead

All Star
Daps
Let's take it a little further. Imagine you're in a war-torn 3rd world country and telling them to have a positive and enterprising mindset and see how far it goes. You gotta give them infrastructure, basic healthcare, and education first.

Cyber

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
Steve Jobs grew up in a low-income household with his adopted father being a high school dropout, lack of money was one of the reasons he dropped out of college after a semester.

More about opportunity, luck, and mindset. He had the mindset and happened to befriend Wozniak (who I assume had a similar upbringing) and Mike Markkula his angel investor. Consider yourself lucky if you get an angel investor to invest in your company