♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Erykah Badu Will Help Deliver Teyana Taylor's Baby
EMILY KIRKPATRICK
JUNE 25, 2020 1:10 PM
erykah-badu.jpg

BY LEON BENNETT/GETTY IMAGES
After giving birth to her first child in the bathroom with only her husband, NBA player Iman Shumpert, to help, Teyana Taylor is bringing in reinforcements for her second home birth.

On Wednesday's episode of Nick Cannon's Power 106 radio show, Taylor said, “I don’t know if I want to go to the hospital for this next baby. I’ll make sure it’s not on the toilet or the bathroom floor.”

The singer delivered her first daughter Iman Tayla Shumpert Jr., nicknamed Junie, at home in December 2015, three weeks before her due date.

She continued, “I’m gonna do it with Erykah [Badu]. I’m super excited. I’m gonna have her sing her verse from [Taylor's song] ‘Lowkey’ to calm my nerves.”

In a 2019 interview on Sway in the Morning, Badu revealed she's helped deliver 40 babies since getting her doula license in 2011. At the time, she added that she was still training to become a midwife and was “almost there.”

Among those she's helped give birth is 22-year-old model Slick Woods who gave birth to her son, Saphir, in September 2018 after going into labor on the Savage x Fenty runway.

In a 2018 InStyle interview, Badu or “Erykah Badoula” as her clients call her, revealed her secret weapon to expediting deliveries: “Babies like Wu-Tang.”

More Great Stories From Vanity Fair
— Author Uzodinma Iweala on White Signs at Black Protests
— “George Floyd Was Killed in My Neighborhood
— 15 Years After Katrina, a Second Storm—Coronavirus—Hits New Orleans
— How Meghan Markle Decided to Finally Speak Out About George Floyd
— Nikkita Oliver on Seattle’s Extraordinary Protests and What Comes Next
— Where J.K. Rowling’s Transphobia Comes From
— From the Archive: The Origin of “Strange Fruit,” Billie Holiday’s Ballad Against Racism

Looking for more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss a story.

Erykah Badu Will Help Deliver Teyana Taylor's Baby

© Condé Nast 2020