ESPN Films 30 for 30: How Roy Jones Jr. got robbed of a gold medal in 1988

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
I like how RJJ had the clarity to separate the system from the fighter himself.

Corruption sucks, cause even with everything Roy has accomplished you can still tell that hurts. Odd thing is the countries do corruption for pride, but the athletes mostly feel shame for winning by corruption. So it ends up hurting both athletes.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like how RJJ had the clarity to separate the system from the fighter himself.

Corruption sucks, cause even with everything Roy has accomplished you can still tell that hurts. Odd thing is the countries do corruption for pride, but the athletes mostly feel shame for winning by corruption. So it ends up hurting both athletes.

Well put.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Damn, this was good stuff. It was interesting to see how this still pains RJJ, and rightly so. Why the IOC won't correct this, I just don't know.

And Teddy is so right. Korea not only screwed over Roy, they screwed Park over, too. Dude wasn't exactly a scrub. But instead of letting him win silver with honor, they handed him a tainted gold and ruined his whole career. (Although that's being nice, TBH. By all accounts, he should've lost in the quarterfinals to Nardiello of Italy.)

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
It was fukked up. The Korean dude knew he lost and tried to give props to Roy.

That 88' Olympics had some weird shyt in boxing. Another Korean fighter felt cheated when he lost so he sat down on the canvas in protest. He wouldn't leave, so they just left him there and turned off the light.

olympics_03.jpg

Byun+Jong+Il+of+South+Korea+stages+a+silent+sit+down+protest+at+the+1988+Seoul+Olympics-798606.jpg

boxing-1988-summer-olympics-south-korea-byun-jong-il-upset-sitting-picture-id84186420

There was a US boxer that was eliminated because missed the weigh-in because he was sleeping. :snoop:

Also there was a referee who got attacked by one of the boxers.