Ex-NY Giant Carl Banks, Rakim, & Ed Lover Discuss the Role Starter Played in Hip-Hop Culture | 50 Years of Hip-Hop

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Full video on youtube, won't embed

Carl Banks, Rakim, Ed Lover Discuss the Role Starter Played in Hip-Hop Culture | 50 Years of Hip-Hop​

New York Giants
Dec 6, 2023

To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop, Giants legend Carl Banks takes a stroll down memory lane with two icons of music and media. Rakim, the father of flow and one of the most respected people in music, and MTV legendary show host Ed Lover talk about how the Starter brand played an integral role in the fusion of fashion, music and lifestyle over the last 50 years

Last edited:
Daps
I remember Carl Banks came to my school back in 5th grade (so like 1996/1997) and was encouraging us to work hard, play hard etc.

He brought a Louisville Slugger baseball bat and broke it over his leg...slowly. Not like kicking is leg up and breaking it but just pressed it down over his leg and made it snap....then showed us a NYG Super Bowl ring. You'd think we would have had Cowboys at a school in Dallas but it was cool as fukk.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I low key was researching this breh the other day. Trying to talk to a brand manager over there. I think Iconix hired his company (G3) to revamp or run Starter or some shyt

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Rakim's face as Carl Banks called him "The LT of lyrics". As a football player and rapper, that's the highest of compliments.

To dudes in the thread, do you remember local shops carrying non-local teams?
I used to see rappers wear other team Starter jackets in videos, and was upset that I never saw them in stores.

That Blazers jersey Run had on in Christmas in Hollis was hard.