Extreme haggling with locals/vendors overseas? Fair or foul? #passportgang #travelgang

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
They’re being ridiculous. Haggling prevents foreigners from being swindled out their money. These folks can say no and just keep selling to the locals. The fact that he went from 100 to 10 shows he knew he was overcharging. It aint about how much 100 rupees is to me, it’s about how much it is to him in his economy.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
In some countries it's literally part of how things go, and they know you're a tourist so they probably already giving you a higher price. That being said don't be an a$$hole, if you're a Westerner visiting a non-Western country it's like 80% chances you're more priviliged than almost everyone in that country (and CLEARLY than street vendors) so just give the extra dollar/euro/pound. You'll survive.

I'm more pissed off at him recording the whole thing. It already pisses me off when it's between Westerners but this gives me big colonial vibes. Locals aren't there for your little social experience.

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't haggle with a little kid over a small food item. Haggling is ok in many places but hold into account they need to feed their families. If you're in a market somewhere buying clothes or gold or whatever there's always wiggle room.

Daps
The white man price:laff:

I was prepared to say that the white boy was a clown but he had a point. If you think them folks don't see your mark foreigner ass coming and raise the price, you a fool.

Sounds like the white boy knew how much stuff is supposed to cost and told Nap to cut it out and Nap was like "Okay you got me, it's not 100, it's only 10 rupees :youngsabo:"

brandy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I tend to pay the American price for food products abroad. :manny: I feel weird trying to haggle a dollar down to a dime when either amount doesn't hurt my bottom line, and I don't haggle with large corporations abroad so why would I try to haggle with a small vendor trying to make some money.