Facebook Is Trying Everything to Re-Enter China—and It’s Not Working

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Since regulators blocked the service in 2009, CEO Mark Zuckerberg has hired well-connected executives, developed censorship tools and taken a ‘smog jog’ in Beijing—but the company has made no visible headway.
BN-RS687_0120CH_J_20170120160216.jpg

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s 2016 ‘smog jog’ in Tiananmen Square. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

Facebook Inc.’s chances of getting back into China appeared to take a rare turn for the better when an employee noticed an official posting online: Beijing authorities had granted it a license to open a representative office in two office-tower suites in the capital.

Such permits typically give Western firms an initial China beachhead. This one, which Facebook won in late 2015, could have been a sign Beijing was ready to give the company another chance to connect with China’s roughly 700 million internet users, reopening the market as the social-media giant’s U.S.-growth prospects dimmed.

There was a catch. Facebook’s license was for three months, unusually short. Facebook executives found the limitation unexpected and frustrating, people familiar with the episode said.

Facebook never opened the office. The official posting disappeared and now exists as a ghost in cached versions of the government website. “We did, at one point in time, plan to have an office,” said Facebook spokeswoman Charlene Chian, “but we don’t today.”

The episode is part of Facebook’s running tale of woe in China, where it has been trying to set the stage for a return. Blocked on China’s internet since 2009, Facebook has courted Chinese officials, made Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg more visible in China, hired a well-connected China-policy chief and begun developing technology that could cull content the Communist Party deems unacceptable.

Full WJS article here

(That comment section...poor fella never catches a break)

Breh13

Smh.
Supporter
Daps
Even though China is full of state propaganda, I don't think they want USA propaganda on their shores. Especially with how fake news and right wing shyt is running amok on FB.

They rather keep their own shyt in circulation. :mjgrin:

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
Even though China is full of state propaganda, I don't think they want USA propaganda on their shores. Especially with how fake news and right wing shyt is running amok on FB.

They rather keep their own shyt in circulation. :mjgrin:
They could filter all that stuff... More about the data in my opinion...