Facebook rep who helped Trump get elected hated his guts, helped anyway

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is why I really advocate for young folk to ONLY work for shyt they believe in. The "it's only a job" mentality and hunting out the biggest paycheck

The Man Behind Trump’s Facebook Juggernaut

In June of 2016, Facebook dispatched what is often called an “embed.” He was a young man from its ad-sales department who had previously worked for several Republican-affiliated causes. He spent most of the next four months in San Antonio, working with the Trump campaign. Other Facebook employees rotated through the office on a semi-regular basis; Google and Twitter also sent sales reps to the campaign.

“On the commercial side, all big accounts get reps like this,” Tatenda Musapatike, a former Facebook sales rep, told me. “It’s standard. Coca-Cola gets a Facebook rep, working on commission, whose job is to advocate for Coca-Cola within Facebook, and vice versa.” Sales reps were taught that the more useful they were to clients, the more money those clients were apt to spend. “Managers would always talk about ‘earning the badge,’ ” she continued. “As in, you’re so tightly aligned with your client that they think of you as part of their team, and they give you a security badge to get in and out of the building.” In a 2017 paper in the journal Political Communication, Daniel Kreiss and a fellow communications scholar, Shannon McGregor, wrote that embeds “go beyond promoting their services and facilitating digital advertising buys, actively shaping campaign communication through their close collaboration with political staffers.” (Facebook still offers extensive support to political campaigns, but it claims that this support no longer includes embeds.)

The notes taken by the Project Alamo staffer describe a tense office-wide meeting, early in the campaign, during which Parscale made it clear that he distrusted the reps from Facebook and Google, whose bosses presumably wanted Trump to lose. Shortly thereafter, the Facebook embed demonstrated his value: he designed a Custom List of everyone who had interacted with one of Trump’s Facebook pages during the primaries, then sent those people targeted ads asking for donations. The ads cost three hundred and twenty-eight thousand dollars; they raised $1.32 million, a net gain of a million dollars in a single day. After that, Parscale started taking the Facebook embed’s advice.

During the election, the embed did his best to keep a low public profile. The day after Trump’s victory, Gary Coby, the campaign’s digital-advertising director, tagged him in a tweet, calling him “an MVP” of the campaign. The embed was twenty-eight-year-old James Barnes, from Tennessee. He responded to his newfound notoriety by deleting his Twitter account.

Barnes recently told me that, although he grew up in an evangelical family and had long considered himself a Republican, “I despised Donald Trump from the moment I knew anything about him.” On November 8, 2016, after spending months working overtime to help Trump win, he and a few Facebook colleagues went to the polls in Washington, D.C., and he cast a ballot for Hillary Clinton. “My attitude during the entire campaign was, I’m a professional, I’m here to do a job, my personal preferences are irrelevant,” he said. Last year, “after reflecting on a lot of things, including my personal sense of duty,” he quit Facebook. He now works at Acronym, a left-wing nonprofit that is using social-media marketing to try to defeat Trump in 2020. (Acronym is also the main investor in Shadow, the company behind the app that broke down during this year’s Iowa caucuses.)

The article is about Brad Parscale, Trump's social media ads guru who doesn't appear to have anything resembling a moral compass at all. But sad as hell that this young man James was working for someone he hated and yet helped put that man in the most powerful seat in the world.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
He was just doing a job he got paid to do , no different from a cop being told to stop a negro ,throw him up against the wall and frisk him or a soldier in combat

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Asking everyone to stick to what they believe in terms of career paths or jobs is an unrealistic expectation.
It will never happen, at least not in the u.s.
Most Americans font think like that

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
He was just doing a job he got paid to do , no different from a cop being told to stop a negro ,throw him up against the wall and frisk him or a soldier in combat

Asking everyone to stick to what they believe in terms of career paths or jobs is an unrealistic expectation.
It will never happen, at least not in the u.s.
Most Americans font think like that
And what we have today is where that sort of mentality leads.

No different from a German joining the Nazi Party in the 1930s, right?

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
And what we have today is where that sort of mentality leads.

No different from a German joining the Nazi Party in the 1930s, right?
So when a u.s. troop goes to the middle East and kills a so called enemy or insurgent on a lie what's the difference
this dude believes his presence in Iraq is for good

Racism still exist because wites enfoorce that mentality into their kids , you tell them it's wrong :camby: people will continue to do what they are told for a check or for self interest

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
So when a u.s. troop goes to the middle East and kills a so called enemy or insurgent on a lie what's the difference
this dude believes his presence in Iraq is for good

Racism still exist because sites enfoorce that mentality into their kids , you tell them it's wrong :camby: people will continue to do what they are told for a check or for self interest

If you don't believe in the foreign policy goals and actions of the American military, then you should NOT work for them if you have any choice in the matter. I believe that with all my heart. Leaders aren't going to stop sending people off to die unless regular people stop being willing to go. This is personal for me, I've convinced two of my friends including my wife to leave defense contractors because of the bullshyt America engages in.

George Monbiot writes bluntly about people who work for causes they don't actually believe in:
It teaches you to do what you don’t want to do, to be what you don’t want to be. It is an exceptional person who emerges from this process with her aims and ideals intact. Indeed it is an exceptional person who emerges from this process at all. What the corporate or institutional world wants you to do is the opposite of what you want to do. It wants a reliable tool, someone who can think, but not for herself: who can think instead for the institution. You can do what you believe only if that belief happens to coincide with the aims of the corporation, not just once, but consistently, across the years (it is a source of wonder to me how many people’s beliefs just happen to match the demands of institutional power, however those demands may twist and turn, after they’ve been in the company for a year or two).

Even intelligent, purposeful people almost immediately lose their way in such worlds. They become so busy meeting the needs of their employers and surviving in the hostile world into which they have been thrust that they have no time or energy left to develop the career path they really wanted to follow. And you have to develop it: it will not happen by itself. The idea, so often voiced by new recruits who are uncomfortable with the choice they have made, that they can reform the institution they join from within, so that it reflects their own beliefs and moral codes, is simply laughable. For all the recent guff about corporate social responsibility, corporations respond to the market and to the demands of their shareholders, not to the consciences of their employees. Even the chief executive can make a difference only at the margins: the moment her conscience interferes with the non-negotiable purpose of her company – turning a profit and boosting the value of its shares – she’s out.

Career Advice

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
It’s the way of the world. People will do anything against their own interests if the pay is good enough. Lee Atwater was a famous scumbag tactics political consultant (Karl Rove’s predecessor) who worked for Republicans and he was a Democrat.