Fallout after HBCU asst. coach's controversial recruiting pitch

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Basically saying what everyone knows. We lost our leading rusher to the portal and a couple other top players.

And as the restructuring continues if they do create a subdivision that allows the schools to pay the players directly all the FCS schools are going to be used as a developmental league for the FBS schools.
You think maybe that's something he should say to the recruit in private, rather than broadcasting it to the world as a calling card?

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
You think maybe that's something he should say to the recruit in private, rather than broadcasting it to the world as a calling card?
that's what alotta of the alums are saying, but, again, he's just saying what we all already know. that includes the athletes

my first week or so at State all the freshman were talking about what other school had recruited us and why we wound up at State. the biggest reason was grades. but everyone who plays sports dreams of playing at the major FBS level in front of huge crowds on TV every week. especially in football.

with having to sit out a year if you transferred back in the day most athletes just stayed where they were. with the rules and transfer portal now that's not the case.

so nah, i don't feel he shouldn't have said it. it's an ugly truth but it's the truth. the advantage in him saying it is that now the athletes who feel they can play at the FBS level but weren't offered by a FBS school because of grades or because they were just overlooked will look at his school first knowing they have that same goal in mind - develop the athlete so they can move on . Because alotta of these coaches are gonna run the guilt trip about "loyalty" because "we believed in you first." which there's an argument for as well.

but you can see what they're trying to do - make the FCS level the division for most of the high school athletes who would have gotten scholarships back in the day but needed a couple more years to develop before they hit the field, and use the transfer portal scholarships for the ones already in college who are ready to play now.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
I graduated from Grambling and instead of complaining, the Alumni and the school should make it where the students athletes they can recruit top athletes and the athletes do not want leave.
we'll keep some of the athletes we recruit because of the HBCU environment, but the ones who have pro ability and aspirations will be recruited to leave and most of them will. it'd be different if we were at least still packing out our stadiums on a weekly basis, but we're not even doing that anymore and no kid wants to play in an empty stadium every week except for a rivalry game and homecoming.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's what alotta of the alums are saying, but, again, he's just saying what we all already know. that includes the athletes

my first week or so at State all the freshman were talking about what other school had recruited us and why we wound up at State. the biggest reason was grades. but everyone who plays sports dreams of playing at the major FBS level in front of huge crowds on TV every week. especially in football.

with having to sit out a year if you transferred back in the day most athletes just stayed where they were. with the rules and transfer portal now that's not the case.

so nah, i don't feel he shouldn't have said it. it's an ugly truth but it's the truth. the advantage in him saying it is that now the athletes who feel they can play at the FBS level but weren't offered by a FBS school because of grades or because they were just overlooked will look at his school first knowing they have that same goal in mind - develop the athlete so they can move on . Because alotta of these coaches are gonna run the guilt trip about "loyalty" because "we believed in you first." which there's an argument for as well.

but you can see what they're trying to do - make the FCS level the division for most of the high school athletes who would have gotten scholarships back in the day but needed a couple more years to develop before they hit the field, and use the transfer portal scholarships for the ones already in college who are ready to play now.

Shannon Sharpe got criticized for saying he only went to Savannah State because of grades.

He wanted to go to South Carolina like his older brother

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Shannon Sharpe got criticized for saying he only went to Savannah State because of grades.

He wanted to go to South Carolina like his older brother
he shouldn't have been criticized for telling the truth. my only criticism for him is that for years he never gave anything back to SSU. alotta of us wouldn't have played past high school if it wasn't for the HBCU's that gave us a chance. and he should be criticized because it took a Jason Whitlock to make him see why it was so important to give back. if it wasn't for SSU he'd Master Sergeant Sharpe and nobody would know who he is.

but i know where he's coming from because very, very few really wanted to go play at small schools, PWC or HBCU. I mean who wants to go to Western Kentucky or Albany St to play football?

there were some who could've went major but chose HBCU's but that was usually because they had a real strong family legacy there and had grown up going to the games. or they wanted to go play for a certain coach, like Coach Rob at Grambling.

or they wanted to play a certain position and the big PWC's were trying to make em switch, like McNair at Alcorn or Doug at Grambling.

Last edited:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
From the onset I felt there wasn't an issue but as the video continued on, I could definitely see where UAB alumni and fans are coming from. Breh basically told them to pull a Deion.

Now Deion did what he did and it's done; but you gotta start wondering about the kind of effect the transfer portal is gonna HAVE now that he introduced this dynamic. And literally anyone could've done it but this is DEION. Took over college football coverage those first few weeks. NO ONE in their right mind wants to be used as a stepping stool.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
From the onset I felt there wasn't an issue but as the video continued on, I could definitely see where UAB alumni and fans are coming from. Breh basically told them to pull a Deion.

Now Deion did what he did and it's done; but you gotta start wondering about the kind of effect the transfer portal is gonna HAVE now that he introduced this dynamic. And literally anyone could've done it but this is DEION. Took over college football coverage those first few weeks. NO ONE in their right mind wants to be used as a stepping stool.
Deion didn't really do anything that wouldn't have happened anyway.

He just happened to come along at a time where the NCAA had removed the 1 year sit out period for players moving up in division. Most of the players that went from JSU to Colorado probably wouldn't have if that rule hadn't been changed because they would've had to sit out a year.

That's what really gonna hurt the smaller schools cause back in the day you'd get alotta 1-A players moving down to 1-AA and coming to HBCU's cause they didn't have to sit out.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Deion didn't really do anything that wouldn't have happened anyway.

He just happened to come along at a time where the NCAA had removed the 1 year sit out period for players moving up in division. Most of the players that went from JSU to Colorado probably wouldn't have if that rule hadn't been changed because they would've had to sit out a year.

That's what really gonna hurt the smaller schools cause back in the day you'd get alotta 1-A players moving down to 1-AA and coming to HBCU's cause they didn't have to sit out.
literally anyone could've done it but this is DEION.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
my point, and i apologize if i wasn't clear in my first response to you, is that Deion, nor anyone else, did anything. it was a RULE CHANGE that 1-AA/FCS players have wanted for decades. Jesus Christ Himself could've been the one moving from JSU to Colorado and it wouldn't have made anymore difference.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
What's controversial. Jucos and division II-III colleges have always made pitches like this.

People are also missing the reality that this route would benefit HBCU's far more than it would hurt them. Investing into player development is what elevates programs.

that pitch makes much more sense in this state of college athletics than these dudes thinking that what worked 30-40 years ago can work today.