Fanny Lye Deliver'd - Kubrickian folk-horror shot on 35mm (dig. release June 26)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
@FlyRy @MartyMcFly @Zero @HHR @obarth @Lootpack @satam55 @Bryan Danielson @MidniteJay @Mr. Negative @Jax @kingdarius @THE 101 @Red Maverick II @El Villano Ingobernable @Eric Brooks @Ciggavelli @DosCadenaz

FuBK1LH.jpg

Set on an isolated farm in Shropshire in 1657. The story of Fanny Lye (Maxine Peak), a woman who learns to transcend her oppressive marriage and discover a new world of possibility - albeit at great personal cost. Living a life of Puritan stricture with husband John (Charles Dance) and young son Arthur, Fanny Lye's world is shaken to its core by the unexpected arrival of two strangers in need (Freddie Fox and Tanya Reynolds), a young couple closely pursued by a ruthless sheriff and his deputy.

This film right here brehs is a goddamn masterpiece, brehs. One of only two films that I rated a 10/10 at this year's IFFR. I've been anticipating word of its release ever since and now it's almost here.

:ohlawd:

I don't think the trailer does it too much justice but the film is essentially a stylistic mixture of Barry Lyndon and A Clockwork Orange with a bit of Eyes Wide Shut sprinkled in for good measure. That's an almost unfathomable high bar that the film aims for and that's the really crazy thing, it fully deliver'd. Writer/director Thomas Clay had the farmhouse actually built from the ground up so he could naturally move or pan the camera from outdoors to indoors and vice versa, all the dialogue is in authentic ol' English and Clay also composed the score himself using authentic instruments (the pieces you hear in the trailer are from the actual score).

:wow:

Suffices to say the acting is on point too. The four main leads (plus the kid) all deliver great performances but Freddie Fox especially drops a once in a lifetime Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange type performance. His character is a complex, fearsome manipulator and it bleeds through the screen every second.

:banderas:

It's an intense watch and since the dialogue can be hard to follow it really requires your full attention (especially as characters dissect gender differences, religious beliefs and whatnot) but if you love cinema even a tiny bit this will blow you away.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I looked at that poster and started to make a Klarion the Witch Boy joke.

Reading that premise, you already know I'm in to win. Will be watching it next week some time.
It doesn't drop until late June, breh. :russ:

And yes, the poster is pretty bad. I actually considered leaving it out because it looks so cheap. :hhh:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I don't think the trailer does it too much justice but the film is essentially a stylistic mixture of Barry Lyndon and A Clockwork Orange with a bit of Eyes Wide Shut sprinkled in for good measure.

I was ready to hit the :ufdup:,but you acknowledged
That's an almost unfathomable high bar that the film aims for

So now I'm beyond intrigued:francis:
I was a huge fan of The Witch, so a movie even slightly tackling similar themes in a similar time period is right down my alley:wow:

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I was a huge fan of The Witch, so a movie even slightly tackling similar themes in a similar time period is right down my alley:wow:
I wouldn't compare it to The VVitch (you'll never get me to spell it otherwise btw), outside of the time period and use of old dialogue it's a different kind of film. Calling it folk horror might give the wrong impression perhaps although quite a few use it to describe the film.

I think the plot could best be described as a home invasion thriller in vein of A Clockwork Orange's third act but with the aesthetics of Barry Lyndon and themes relating to the breakdown of patriarchic and religious oppression.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
In. Love the VVitch, love folk horror...Kubrickian isn't much of a selling point to me though :sadcam: since my favorite Kubruck films aren't exactly Kubrickian lol (The Killing, Strangelove, Paths)

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
In. Love the VVitch, love folk horror...Kubrickian isn't much of a selling point to me though :sadcam: since my favorite Kubruck films aren't exactly Kubrickian lol (The Killing, Strangelove, Paths)
:gucci:

:scust:

Kubrick's one of the three gawds of cinema, cut the bullshyt!