FCC blocks 9 companies from providing low-income internet access

Daps

by Selena Larson @selenalarson February 3, 2017: 5:03 PM ET

A handful of service providers are no longer able to participate in a federal program that provides low-income people with cheap internet access, the FCC said on Friday.
Regulators told nine companies they can't take part in the Lifeline broadband program just weeks after they were approved.

The federal Lifeline program, established in 1985, provides discounted phone and internet service for people in poorer communities to connect with family and access resources for jobs and education. The FCC expanded the program to include broadband last year, and now gives participating households a $9.25 per month credit they can use for internet access.

The status of the nine companies will be changed to "pending," and the FCC will reconsider their participation in the program. Regulators had approved four of those companies on December 1 and five on January 18.

Reconsidering the petitions will "promote program integrity" and give the FCC "additional time to consider measures that might be necessary to prevent further waste, fraud, and abuse in the Lifeline program," the FCC wrote.

Related: What to expect in Trump's FCC

Mobile broadband company Kajeet works with over 300 school districts in 41 states and Washington D.C. to provide students with internet if they don't have it at home. Kajeet is a solution for the digital divide -- its take-home hotspots filter out things like Facebook and Netflix, and let kids connect to resources for homework.

About five million households with school age children don't have internet access, according to the Pew Research Center.

Regulators approved Kajeet's participation in the Lifeline program in January, but Friday's order means it will now be reconsidered.

Kajeet founder and CEO Daniel Neal said participating in the Lifeline program would have been an opportunity to bring internet to more students. Now the company hopes school districts and partners will get creative in finding additional sources of funding.

The FCC rescinding its participation "constrains the potential pot of funds to help poor kids do their homework," Neal told CNNTech.

"We're going to continue to work productively with school districts and public agencies that are able to provide funding," he said. "We hope that will be expanded to include the Lifeline broadband program."

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
8yNLVin.png

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
This is bs......
See....this is the type of shyt I want my taxes to go towards...
I don't care if some cat is on xvideos all day, but if they have kids, I want them to have the potential to research shyt and come up with ideas / be able to do their hw...
Yeah but the one of the companies that they use says they filter that stuff out anyway. This is purely to keep the digital divide wide open.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Some places cant even get high speed internet... now they fukking with poor people's shyt...:francis:

How you telling a company who is independant whether or not they can give internet to low tier income people... they can do whatever they want whether it's federal or not they can just make up a new product and market to the same people. cant they?!? :jbhmm:

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I read it I wasreferring to your post and net neutrality and linkimg it to poverty or I thought that was what you were.claim
Nah. My comment was in regards to OP. The article is about the new FCC chairman who is pro-business and anti-net neutrality.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Just another reason people should start questioning why the FCC exists in the first place.
There is no reason for it at all except government meddling
The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. An independent U.S. government agency overseen by Congress, the commission is the United States' primary authority for communications law, regulation and technological innovation. In its work facing economic opportunities and challenges associated with rapidly evolving advances in global communications, the agency capitalizes on its competencies in:

• Promoting competition, innovation and investment in broadband services and facilities
  • Supporting the nation's economy by ensuring an appropriate competitive framework for the unfolding of the communications revolution
  • Encouraging the highest and best use of spectrum domestically and internationally
  • Revising media regulations so that new technologies flourish alongside diversity and localism
  • Providing leadership in strengthening the defense of the nation's communications infrastructure

Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers
Since 1985, the Lifeline program has provided a discount on phone service for qualifying low-income consumers to ensure that all Americans have the opportunities and security that phone service brings, including being able to connect to jobs, family and emergency services. Lifeline is part of the Universal Service Fund. The Lifeline program is available to eligible low-income consumers in every state, territory, commonwealth, and on Tribal lands.

The Lifeline program is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). USAC is responsible for data collection and maintenance, support calculation, and disbursement for the low-income program. USAC’s website provides information regarding administrative aspects of the low-income program, as well as program requirements.

On March 31, 2016, the Commission adopted a comprehensive reform and modernization of the Lifeline program. In the 2016 Lifeline Modernization Order, the Commission included broadband as a support service in the Lifeline program. The Commission also set out minimum service standards for Lifeline-supported services to ensure maximum value for the universal service dollar, and established a National Eligibility Verifier to make independent subscriber eligibility determinations.

:mjlol: this conspiracy you're spouting. I'm ashamed it got daps from my fellow family @Serious and @Call Me James.

The article itself says:
Reconsidering the petitions will "promote program integrity" and give the FCC "additional time to consider measures that might be necessary to prevent further waste, fraud, and abuse in the Lifeline program," the FCC wrote.

:jbhmm:Is that not a conservative talking point? Is that not what every Republican across the country runs on? Is this not what you want? :blessed:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. An independent U.S. government agency overseen by Congress, the commission is the United States' primary authority for communications law, regulation and technological innovation. In its work facing economic opportunities and challenges associated with rapidly evolving advances in global communications, the agency capitalizes on its competencies in:

• Promoting competition, innovation and investment in broadband services and facilities
  • Supporting the nation's economy by ensuring an appropriate competitive framework for the unfolding of the communications revolution
  • Encouraging the highest and best use of spectrum domestically and internationally
  • Revising media regulations so that new technologies flourish alongside diversity and localism
  • Providing leadership in strengthening the defense of the nation's communications infrastructure

Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers
Since 1985, the Lifeline program has provided a discount on phone service for qualifying low-income consumers to ensure that all Americans have the opportunities and security that phone service brings, including being able to connect to jobs, family and emergency services. Lifeline is part of the Universal Service Fund. The Lifeline program is available to eligible low-income consumers in every state, territory, commonwealth, and on Tribal lands.

The Lifeline program is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). USAC is responsible for data collection and maintenance, support calculation, and disbursement for the low-income program. USAC’s website provides information regarding administrative aspects of the low-income program, as well as program requirements.

On March 31, 2016, the Commission adopted a comprehensive reform and modernization of the Lifeline program. In the 2016 Lifeline Modernization Order, the Commission included broadband as a support service in the Lifeline program. The Commission also set out minimum service standards for Lifeline-supported services to ensure maximum value for the universal service dollar, and established a National Eligibility Verifier to make independent subscriber eligibility determinations.

:mjlol: this conspiracy you're spouting. I'm ashamed it got daps from my fellow family @Serious and @Call Me James.

The article itself says:

:jbhmm:Is that not a conservative talking point? Is that not what every Republican across the country runs on? Is this not what you want? :blessed:

1) I'm not a conservative or a GOPer.
2) FCC isn't needed to promote unity, that can occur easily on its own, same way IEEE creates standards internationally for your tech standards such ethernet wifi and etc.

You mention conspiracy, but what conspiracy has anyone presented. SMH