Fedor Emelianenko: ‘I never considered myself to be the best’ fighter of all time

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did you know that Fedor Emelianenko is fighting in Madison Square Garden this Saturday? Well he is, and the legendary heavyweight has been doing some media to promote his co-main event fight with Matt Mitrione. Emelianenko was a guest on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani earlier this week, and discussed the usual subjects - where he is on the GOAT list, what his favorite fights were (the first bout with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Mirko Cro Cop), and why he didn’t sign with the UFC.

First up was the greatest of all time question. It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that the humble Russian fighter doesn’t think he’s the GOAT (via MMA Fighting):

“I never considered myself to the best one.A fighter can lose at any moment. And there are some fighters that, for example, are defending on some position that will be better than me in some technique.”

The topic eventually turned to the UFC and whether he is satisfied with his career despite not fighting in the Octagon. He said that he has never been particularly close to signing with the UFC despite negotiating with them multiple times, partly because something always “came up” on the UFC’s side. But in the end, it wasn’t about the organization you fought for according to The Last Emperor:

Well I cannot [relate] myself to the fighters who have very exaggerated and excited reaction hearing the words ‘UFC,’” he said. “For me there was always no difference where to perform, in which organization, whether it be the UFC, or Pride, or Strikeforce, or Bellator, the main thing is who is your opponent.

“And also you’ve got to have that good relationship and preserve that good relationship with people who work in the organization. So the fighter is the fighter, and he deals with a lot of things. He goes through a lot of paths. His load is a huge one.

“I performed against different opponents who were the best fighters of the UFC.”

Bloodyelbow

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Even though HW are the least skilled division to go undefeated as long as he did is no joke. How the hell GSP is in the conversation for greatest fighter ever when he never finished any elite "welterweight" but Matt hughes I do not know.

They see Jones and Silva getting all the accolades and it's like "this GOAT list is a little too dark" "we need so light over here". Cacs are so funny with that.

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
Theodore breh and associates
Even though HW are the least skilled division to go undefeated as long as he did is no joke. How the hell GSP is in the conversation for greatest fighter ever when he never finished any elite "welterweight" but Matt hughes I do not know.

They see Jones and Silva getting all the accolades and it's like "this GOAT list is a little too dark" "we need so light over here". Cacs are so funny with that.
I consider Silva the better fighter between the three but what gsp did was no joke tho even tho he tapped to strikes like a hoe.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I consider Silva the better fighter between the three but what gsp did was no joke tho even tho he tapped to strikes like a hoe.
Bj Penn x2
HOF? Yeah but a LW who has always had bad cardio and quits. Stylistically favourable

Serra
Was a LW and well we don't need to revisit that whole shabang

Kos x2
ranked top 5 at the time, was the inferior striker/wrestler and totally outclassed him all 10 rounds = never close to finishing him

Dan hardy/thiago alves
Less said about this the better

Diaz
Biggest illusion going at the time, no one cared to recall but this guy absconded from the UFC losing to anyone that fought him with some IQ, I mean Joe riggs:mjlol:. Coker does him a solid keeping him away from anyone with a lick of wrestling. Comes back to UFC and embarrasses old man bj, now gsp being the shrewd coward he is opts for this clown instead of the real challenger hendricks. Despite the stylistic favorability was never close to finishing him

And as we know he didn't beat hendricks in reality, I will concede to Fitch, shields and the 2nd Hughes fight though.

Kind of seems he gets special points for being a cac:francis:

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
Theodore breh and associates
Bj Penn x2
HOF? Yeah but a LW who has always had bad cardio and quits. Stylistically favourable

Serra

Kos x2
ranked top 5 at the time, was the inferior striker/wrestler and totally outclassed him all 10 rounds = never close to finishing him

Dan hardy/thiago alves

Diaz
Biggest illusion going at the time, no one cared to recall but this guy absconded from the UFC losing to anyone that fought him with some IQ, I mean Joe riggs:mjlol:. Coker does him a solid keeping him away from anyone with a lick of wrestling. Comes back to UFC and embarrasses old man bj, now gsp being the shrewd coward he is opts for this clown instead of the real challenger hendricks. Despite the stylistic favorability was never close to finishing him

And as we know he didn't beat hendricks in reality, I will concede to Fitch, shields and the 2nd Hughes fight though.

even with that being said (which btw is in retrospect) who else besides Silva had a better record? Like I said gsp is barely in my top five but it can't be denied he is up there and yes the Hardy fight was bullshyt and he didn't finish him

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
even with that being said (which btw is in retrospect) who else besides Silva had a better record? Like I said gsp is barely in my top five but it can't be denied he is up there and yes the Hardy fight was bullshyt and he didn't finish him
Jones

and if we are being fair DJ:lolbron:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bj Penn x2

Serra

Kos x2

Dan hardy/thiago alves

Diaz

Alves was on a tear at the time, and Jon Fitch was at one point far and away the second best WW on the planet (like legit a top p4p fighter). He also beat Condit and Shields (fight was ass :gag:). I feel you and agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I think to an extent you're unwittingly putting down GSP to prop up Silva and Jones, which isn't right (that's what cacs do...). I miss champions like Silva, Jones and GSP who did it the hard way, and didn't get favorable title matches out of thin air like McGregor and Holly Holm (who couldn't even win :mindblown:).

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Lmao gsp > silva by a wide margin. Spider lost rounds to fukking leites and Cote :mjlol:

Ryo chonan flying heel hooks :bryan:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Lmao gsp > silva by a wide margin. Spider lost rounds to fukking leites and Cote :mjlol:

Ryo chonan flying heel hooks :bryan:
I never knew you could win rounds on timidity :leon: and serra was basically one foot out the door before TUF:hasbeens goes on to beat your gawd in the 1st round:leon: