FIFA corruption scandal thread

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
'Russia & Qatar may lose World Cups' - Fifa official
Russia and Qatar could lose the 2018 and 2022 World Cups respectively if evidence emerges of bribery, leading Fifa official Domenico Scala has said.

The countries deny wrongdoing in their bidding processes and Scala admits he has not seen evidence of corruption.

Scala is the head of Fifa's audit and compliance committee.

He said: "Should there be evidence that the awards to Qatar and Russia came only because of bought votes, then the awards could be cancelled."

Speaking to Swiss newspaper Sonntagszeitung, he added: "Until today, the respective evidence has not been provided."

Scala made similar comments at the end of 2013 but in light of events at Fifa in the past two weeks this will be viewed as a more serious warning.

Seven senior Fifa officials were arrested last month in high-profile dawn raids at a Zurich hotel, where they had been staying ahead of their presidential election.

They are among 14 people charged by US prosecutors, who allege they accepted bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m (£100m) over a 24-year period.

Swiss authorities have also launched a separate criminal investigation into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated.

Sepp Blatter, Fifa president since 1998, was re-elected at the Zurich meeting but announced four days later that he would resign amid the corruption allegations engulfing the organisation,

_83474777_fifa_gallery_624_no_sb_v7.jpg

American lawyer Michael Garcia was previously hired by Fifa to investigate the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding processes.

In November, findings from his two-year inquiry were released by Fifa as a summary of his full 430-page report, but Garcia complained their representation of his work was "erroneous".

The report cleared World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar of wrongdoing.

Garcia quit weeks later over Fifa's handling of his inquiry and his comments reopened the debate about the validity of the bidding process.

Scala has since had Garcia's report reviewed by legal experts both in sport and outside of sport but neither were able to find grounds to alter the award of either tournament at this stage.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33041467

That would be glorious

:blessed:

Qatar will lose it especially with the human rights issues. Russia will strong arm whomever into keeping theirs.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Former FIFA Underboss, Jack Warner, Allegedly Ripped Off Funds for Haiti Earthquake Victims

By Liz Fields

June 9, 2015 | 11:05 am
A US federal probe is investigating allegations that FIFA's former Vice President Jack Warner misappropriated $750,000 of relief fund money he raised to aid Haiti after that country's devastating earthquake in 2010. It's the latest incident of alleged behind-the-scenes corruption at the world soccer organization.

US investigators allege that Warner, 72, who is also being investigated for his role in a host of other bribery and fraud charges, diverted the emergency funds donated by FIFA and the South Korean Football Association (SKFA) away from victims of the Haiti disaster and into his bank accounts for "personal use," documents obtained by the BBC show.

The former vice-president of the embattled soccer association was arrested last month in his home country of Trinidad and Tobago, where he is a former politician and businessman. He is facing extradition on money laundering and corruption charges that Warner has denied.

Related: The Gloves Are Off, the Die Is Cast, Tyrants Will Fall: FIFA's Jack Warner Speaks

Allegations about Warner's alleged misuse of Haiti emergency funds previously surfaced in 2012, when the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) alleged that the $250,000 from FIFA and $500,000 from the SKFA were disbursed straight into an account controlled solely by Warner.

Warner called the allegations a conspiracy at the time, saying, "I have nothing to answer to anybody." After the allegation surfaced, FIFA subsequently cut off funding to the TTFF.

Over the weekend, the BBC reported that Warner had also allegedly misappropriated $10 million from South Africa's Football Association intended to be used for a so-called "diaspora legacy programme" to foster the growth of football in the Caribbean.

Warner instead allegedly spent the funds on cash withdrawals, personal loans, and to launder money, according to documents that form part of the US investigation. He has continued to deny any wrongdoing on all accounts.

Related: The FIFA Net Closes In: Will Sepp Blatter Be Next?

https://news.vice.com/article/forme...aiti-earthquake-victims?utm_source=vicenewsfb

guess we can't just blame the Clintons

superunknown23

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Germany sent rocket-propelled grenades to Saudi Arabia to swing 2006 World Cup vote

The German government sent a shipment of rocket-propelled grenades to Saudi Arabia in order to secure support for their bid to host the 2006 World Cup, according to the latest sensational claims in the FIFA scandal.

German newspaper Die Zeit say the country's Football Association arranged for then-Chancellor Gerhard Schroder's administration to supply the arms in order to swing the Saudi vote from Morocco to Germany ahead of the vote in 2000.
Germany also went to great lengths to woo other federations. Multinational firms Volkswagen and Bayer promised to increase investment in Thailand and South Korea. This ultimately led to Thailand’s FIFA executive committee member, Worawi Makudi, voting for Germany.

It helped tip the knife-edge vote in Germany's favor as they defeated South Africa 12-11 in the final round and duly hosted the World Cup finals six years later.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...s-Saudi-Arabia-swing-2006-World-Cup-vote.html
http://www.theguardian.com/football...eal-saudi-valcke-warner-delaney-ireland-henry
Also, the president of Oceania's confederation mysteriously abstained from voting (Blatter would've broken a tie in South Africa's favor).
South Africa got robbed... but "it's only small/poor nations that are corrupt! Europe is squeaky clean!":mjpls:

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Also, the president of Oceania's confederation mysteriously abstained from voting (Blatter would've broken a tie in South Africa's favor).
South Africa got robbed... but "it's only small/poor nations that are corrupt! Europe is squeaky clean!":mjpls:

The drama and f'ckery of this fallout is just amazing. I can't wait for more bodies to come tumbling out.

superunknown23

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The drama and f'ckery of this fallout is just amazing. I can't wait for more bodies to come tumbling out.
South Africa not getting it in 2006 was a major shock. They were the clear favorites and it was assumed that Mandela would get his World Cup.
But the Germans came out of nowhere with England dropping out.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Business InsiderMore: FIFA Sepp Blatter Associated Press Corruption
FIFA suspends bidding contest for the 2026 world cup

• JUN. 10, 2015, 9:50 AM
a-close-up-of-the-world-cup-trophy-after-the-2014-fifa-world-cup-brazil-final-match-between-germany-and-argentina-at-maracana-on-july-13-2014-in-rio-de-janeiro-brazil-4.jpg
Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

On another day of turmoil for FIFA and the World Cup, the bidding contest for the 2026 tournament was put on hold.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said Wednesday it would be "nonsense" to begin the next bidding process on schedule this week amid the American investigation into soccer corruption.

Valcke, speaking at a news conference in Russia hosted by organizers of the 2018 tournament, also defended his role in a $10 million bribery scandal linked to the 2010 World Cup.

"I will answer all the questions. I have nothing to hide," Valcke said.

The storm unleashed by separate U.S. and Swiss federal investigations has already further sullied FIFA's image and led to the resignation of its president, Sepp Blatter.

The favorite to succeed Blatter, former protege turned adversary Michel Platini, criticized soccer's governing body later Wednesday while also welcoming a delay in 2026 business.

"Today there is no leadership at FIFA so it's normal that it's been suspended," the UEFA president and former France great said at a news conference in Paris.

The United States is among the expected contenders in the May 2017 vote.

FIFA also said Wednesday its executive committee will meet to choose an election date in a special session next month — possibly July 24 in St. Petersburg, where Swiss and American investigators won't get the chance to ask questions. The 209 FIFA member federations will vote for a new president four months after a deadline set for would-be candidates to apply.

Blatter's prolonged departure is "not doing himself and the whole of football a favor," said Wolfgang Niersbach of Germany, who is on the executive committee.

FIFA has been in crisis since the U.S. Department of Justice indicted 14 people on corruption charges ahead of Blatter's re-election at the FIFA congress two weeks ago. Seven of them were arrested in Zurich and face extradition.

Although Blatter was not named in a 164-page indictment — which alleged $150 million in bribes linked mostly to non-FIFA tournaments in North and South America — officials familiar with the case have said he is a target.

rtr2jzww.jpg
REUTERS/Bazuki Muhammad

Valcke, however, has been scrutinized for his direct links to payments totaling $10 million from FIFA accounts which the U.S. Department of Justice says were bribes to FIFA executive committee members to vote for South Africa as 2010 World Cup host.

In an impassioned voice Wednesday, Valcke repeated previous FIFA statements on his behalf: That he merely signed off on money transfers agreed to by South African officials from their World Cup funds, and authorized by the then-chairman of the FIFA finance panel, Julio Grondona of Argentina, who died last year.

"I'm signing all the contracts of FIFA," said Valcke, who began his job several months before the money transfers in early 2008 to accounts controlled by disgraced former FIFA vice president Jack Warner.

Valcke insisted that the alleged bribe money did not belong to FIFA and questioned why he was targeted by international media.

"You have decided that after Blatter, my head is to be cut. Fine," said the former television journalist from France. "But don't say it is because of this $10 million."

Valcke and Russian sports minister Vitaly Mutko, who is also a FIFA executive committee member, repeated that the 2018 hosting victory was won clean.

The Swiss attorney general's office is using a report by former FIFA ethics prosecutor Michael Garcia. His investigation team was denied key evidence because Russian bid officials did not provide an archive of emails, and also used computers which were leased and later destroyed.

Both Russia and Qatar, which was awarded the 2022 World Cup, risk losing their hosting rights if evidence of wrongdoing emerges.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/fifa...t-for-the-2026-world-cup-2015-6#ixzz3cfruf1th

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Indicted FIFA Exec Allegedly Faked "Severe Dementia" to Avoid U.S. Citizenship Test
By Ben Mathis-Lilley

gettyimages465212384.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Eugenio Figueredo, left, with outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter.
Norberto Duarte/AFP/Getty

Uruguayan soccer figure Eugenio Figueredo is one of many FIFA figures recently charged with corruption by United States authorities. The Justice Departmentindictment's description of Figueredo, however, is much more colorful than its mini-biographies of the other accused individuals.

From at least in or about 2005 to the present, FIGUEREDO maintained a residence in the United States, specifically in Arcadia, California. According to a naturalization application FIGUEREDO filed in 2005 with U.S. immigration authorities, beginning in 1997 FIGUEREDO worked in “sales” at a “decorative rock” business in Irwindale, California. In his application, FIGUEREDO falsely affirmed under penalty of perjury that (a) he neither worked anywhere else in the previous five years nor ever had any affiliation with any organization or association in the United States or in any other place; and (b) he was exempt from the required English language and civics exams because of a mental disability. Prior to obtaining his U.S. citizenship in August 2006, FIGUEREDO submitted documentation explaining his mental disability that falsely stated that he had severe dementia.
A few notes here.

1. LOL.

2. To paraphrase Ludacris' seminal "Southern Hospitality," Hand-me-down flip-flops, hand-me-down socks / Hand-me-down decorative rock dealers, hand-me-down decorative rocks.

3. But seriously, the California decorative rock industry is real and thriving, and one presumes it will only become more powerful and crucial to the state's economy asdrought threatens the practice of keeping a grass lawn.

screen_shot_20150616_at_4.13.14_pm.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.13.14_pm.png

Screen shot/California Quarry Products

4. According to Google Street View, this is Figueredo's house in Arcadia. WHERE ARE THE DECORATIVE ROCKS???

screen_shot_20150616_at_4.16.42_pm.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.16.42_pm.png

Screen shot/Google Street View

5. Pretending to have dementia to avoid taking a citizenship test in the adopted country where you live in a mansion paid for by (alleged) bribe money that could have been spent on youth sports programs in your improverished homeland—it's one of the all-time greatest ever achievements in the field of loathsome scheming. It's a first-ballot induction into the Lack of Integrity Hall of Fame. It's a fully endowed professorship at Abohorrence University in the Department of Moral Failure.

Figueredo, 83, was arrested in Switzerland on May 27 and faces extradition to the United States for prosecution.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

:wow:

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
FIFA probes show 53 possible money-laundering cases
Swiss may interview FIFA head and secretary-general over investigations into 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests.
17 Jun 2015 11:35 GMT | Sport, Corruption, Football, FIFA, Qatar 2022
  • Swiss investigation into FIFA was announced three weeks ago, Lauber said the case is "huge and complex".

665003303001_4271678724001_video-still-for-video-4271797285001.jpg

Blatter to resign as FIFA president

He added that he "does not exclude" interviewing Sepp Blatter, president of global football's governing body FIFA, and Jerome Valcke, FIFA's secretary-general.

The FBI and Swiss authorities are investigating the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups that were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively.

Lauber is prepared for either country to be stripped of the hosting rights if new evidence proves wrongdoing.

"I don't mind if this has some collateral [damage] somewhere else," he said before declining to discuss a timetable for the case, which targets "criminal mismanagement and money laundering" in the bidding process.

"This is a dynamic process. It could really go everywhere and that is why I don't want to tell you which direction I put my focus."

Blatter is also a target of a separate investigation of bribery and racketeering led by US federal agencies, who are working with Swiss authorities.

The American case alleged that senior FIFA voters received $10m in bribes to support South Africa's successful bid for the 2010 World Cup.

Blog: A World Cup dream turns into nightmare

Valcke has been linked to transferring the money from a FIFA account on behalf of South African officials.

FIFA was thrown into crisis on May 27 with dual raids in Zurich on a luxury downtown hotel and its own headquarters two days before its presidential election.

Two FIFA vice presidents, Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands and Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay, were among seven football officials arrested by Swiss police acting on a US request. They face extradition to the US.

On the same day, data and documents were seized at FIFA's offices for the Swiss case. More evidence was collected from FIFA last week.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/...3-money-laundering-cases-150617085817085.html

TAKBIR!

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Sepp Blatter: Fifa president says he did not resign
Sepp Blatter says he has not resigned as Fifa president.

The 79-year-old Swiss was thought to have ended his 17-year reign on 2 June amid claims of corruption in world football's governing body.

A Fifa statement confirmed a report in Swiss newspaper Blick, which said Blatter told a party: "I did not resign, I put myself and my office in the hands of the Fifa congress."

Blatter is thought to be considering standing for re-election as president.

Two criminal investigations into alleged Fifa corruption began in the week that Blatter was elected for a fifth term in charge.

Four days after being voted president, Blatter - who is reportedly under investigation in the United States - said: "While I have a mandate from the membership of Fifa, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football.

"Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as Fifa president until that election."

However, Blatter did not use the words 'resign' or 'resignation'. He did add, however, the election would be for his "successor" and said: "I shall not be a candidate."

The Fifa statement added the quotes in Blick were "fully in line with the speech of the president on 2 June".

Labour MP Chris Bryant, the shadow secretary of state for culture, said: "Sepp Blatter's antics remind me not so much of the hokey-cokey as Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

"It's time Fifa put an end to all this speculation, which is harming the sport, and give a final date for Blatter's departure."

Meanwhile, Blatter may not attend the final of the Women's World Cup in Canada because of the twin investigations into Fifa by American and Swiss authorities.

He would normally present the trophy to the winning team, but Fifa will not confirm whether Blatter or secretary general Jerome Valcke will attend.

A Fifa spokesperson said: "In terms of the Fifa president and the Fifa secretary general, their future travel plans will be confirmed in due course."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33284185

this mother....

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
sepp-blatter-showered-in-money-before-announcing-he-wants-to-become-a-journalist-1437404832.jpg

FIFA

Sepp Blatter Is Showered in Money Before Revealing He Wants to Become a Journalist

By Sally Hayden

July 20, 2015 | 11:15 am
FIFA president Sepp Blatter hasn't relinquished the spotlight just yet. The outgoing president of soccer's global governing body was today showered with money by a British comedian at a press conference, shortly before revealing his post-football plan — to become a radio journalist.

As Blatter took his seat, UK performer Simon Brodkin rose from a front-row seat to throw wads of dollar bills over the FIFA president, while shouting that they were for "North Korea 2026." Brodkin also attempted to disrupt Kanye West's performance at the Glastonbury festival last month.

Following a short break, during which Blatter stated he was going to leave the room for a few minutes because "we have to clean here first," the 79-year-old took to the stage again.

Related: From Drug Money to FIFA: How Banks Facilitate Illicit Transfers Around the World

When asked whether he was definitely stepping down in February, Blatter replied: "On the 26th of February FIFA will have a new president."

The date for the election had been announced earlier on Monday after being decided by an executive committee, giving Blatter seven more months at the helm of soccer's global governing body. Michel Platini, the president of the sport's European governing organization UEFA, is expected to run for the post.

When asked what he'd like to do next, Blatter said he was planning on becoming a radio journalist, calling journalism his "hobby."

When questioned further, Blatter said he would like to focus on issues of geopolitics, as long as a media organization would accept him. He added: "There are so many radios in the world that I'm sure somebody will be happy to listen to my voice."

Blatter won his fifth term as FIFA president on May 29, but resigned just four days later. This came as the organization was rocked by the biggest corruption scandal in its history and wide-ranging corruption investigations by both US and Swiss authorities are ongoing.

"While I have a mandate from the membership of FIFA, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football — the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at FIFA," Blatter said in a statement at the time. "Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate."

Sepp Blatter Is Showered in Money Before Revealing He Wants to Become a Journalist | VICE News

video in link

:mjlol:

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Indicted FIFA official Webb securing bond with luxury watches, cars

AP

JUL 20, 2015 1:46p ET

071715-Soccer-CONCACAF-President-Jeffrey-Webb-PI-CH.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

JOE KLAMAR
Indicted soccer official JEffrey Webb is providing 11 luxury watches to secure the $10 million bond that provided his release from custody along with his wife's wedding ring, three opulent cars and 10 properties.

NEW YORK -- Former FIFA Vice President Jeffrey Webb no longer has time on his hands.

The indicted soccer official is providing 11 luxury watches to secure the $10 million bond that provided his release from custody along with his wife's wedding ring, three opulent cars and 10 properties.

According to an order filed Monday setting the conditions for release, Webb secured the bond with a five Rolex watches plus a Cartier Roadster, Hublot, Breitling, Panerai, Royal Oak Offshore and Luminor Marina.

The government noted that the Hublot has not yet been turned over to the FBI and must be provided by Aug. 2

Webb's bond also is secured by a 2015 Ferrari and 2014 Range Rover in the name of his wife, Dr. Kendra Gamble-Webb, a 2003 Mercedes-Benz in his name and a 401k account in his wife's name.

His wife's diamond wedding ring also is security along with a diamond bracelet, diamond and pearl necklace, one pair of pearl earrings, one pair of long-hanging diamond earrings, and Rolex and Hublot watches. Her partnership equity interest in a company whose name was redacted also was used.

In addition, bond was secured by ten properties.

Jeffrey Webb, a citizen of the Cayman Islands who has a home in Georgia, was arrested in Switzerland in May and extradited to the United States. He pleaded not guilty Saturday to racketeering and bribery charges, part of an indictment of nine soccer officials and five marketing executives alleging a $150 million bribery and kickback scheme. Four others have pleaded guilty.

As a condition of his bond, he must reside within 20 miles of U.S. District Court in Brooklyn and is paying for electronic monitoring and home detention. He agreed not to associate with FIFA, CONCACAF, South America's governing body or any of his co-defendants and co-conspirators. Webb and his wife also agreed to surrender all of their passports.

Following the indictment he was provisionally suspended by FIFA and CONCACAF, the regional governing body of North and Central America and the Caribbean. Webb had been president of CONCACAF since 2012.

FIFA Jeffrey Webb luxury watches, cars to post bond

:wtf: