Fighting as Masked Vigilantes, Brazil’s Police Leave a Trail of Bodies and Fear

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The New York Times
39 mins ·
In Brazil last year, the police killed an average of 17 people every day. Rogue officers are killing even more off duty. “I’m a hero to my people,” one militia leader said.

About this website

NYTIMES.COM

By Azam Ahmed

• Dec. 20, 2019, 5:00 a.m. ET
BELÉM, Brazil — The masked gunmen pulled up to Wanda’s Bar at 3:49 p.m. on May 19 and began firing the moment they left their vehicles. Two people, including Wanda herself, died on the patio.

Inside, the gunmen worked in silence: two in front, shooting unarmed patrons at the bar and in the main room, while a third followed behind with a gun in each hand, firing a single shot into the head of anyone still moving.

When the massacre ended, 11 people lay dead, slumped over the bar, draped across chairs or huddled on the floor. Only two people survived, one by hiding under a friend’s lifeless body, case files show.

Once again, masked gunmen had struck in the Brazilian city of Belém, as they have for nearly a decade, stalking the streets in open defiance of the law. Robbing, extorting and killing without compunction.

Yet they did not belong to one of the many gangs that traffic drugs or guns in Brazil, leaving a trail of corpses.

They were cops.

“I’ve killed more than 80 criminals in my time as a police officer,” said another militia leader. “I’m a hero to my people. They love me.”

continued in article

:why:

@Cole Cash

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
When I was at carnival in Rio, the police started shooting with automatics in the middle of the busiest area of Ipanema. One of the craziest situations I’ve been in.

They were apparently going after the jack boys who were going ham all carnival.

Last edited:

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
The New York Times
39 mins ·
In Brazil last year, the police killed an average of 17 people every day. Rogue officers are killing even more off duty. “I’m a hero to my people,” one militia leader said.

About this website

NYTIMES.COM

By Azam Ahmed

• Dec. 20, 2019, 5:00 a.m. ET
BELÉM, Brazil — The masked gunmen pulled up to Wanda’s Bar at 3:49 p.m. on May 19 and began firing the moment they left their vehicles. Two people, including Wanda herself, died on the patio.

Inside, the gunmen worked in silence: two in front, shooting unarmed patrons at the bar and in the main room, while a third followed behind with a gun in each hand, firing a single shot into the head of anyone still moving.

When the massacre ended, 11 people lay dead, slumped over the bar, draped across chairs or huddled on the floor. Only two people survived, one by hiding under a friend’s lifeless body, case files show.

Once again, masked gunmen had struck in the Brazilian city of Belém, as they have for nearly a decade, stalking the streets in open defiance of the law. Robbing, extorting and killing without compunction.

Yet they did not belong to one of the many gangs that traffic drugs or guns in Brazil, leaving a trail of corpses.

They were cops.

“I’ve killed more than 80 criminals in my time as a police officer,” said another militia leader. “I’m a hero to my people. They love me.”

continued in article

:why:

@Cole Cash

that was a terrible fukking article but they are late to the party, this has been the norm for decades since the coup.