Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (June 24, 2022)

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Im sorry.. I can’t get with Dynasty warriors .

Fight waves of enemies like that 1 vs 52 is NOT realistic at all…(I know it’s fantasy, but still)

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
:ehh:

I enjoyed this much more then I would have thought. Surprisingly ran decently by Switch standards. Combat is repetitive af there is no denying that. But there are numerious ways that the strategy components really come into play.
  • Triangle system is really back here. So you need to attack units with advantages because the difference in damage is big. Swords -> Axes -> Lances -> Swords. Magic -> Bows -> Fists -> Magic. Also Dark magic is effectively against horse. And obviously bows against flying.
  • Deciding which units to send out to defend attack and move in general. On normal at least AI is ok. It sucks at attacking so you need to be on top of it.
  • In the main missions you get strategy resources by doing side missions. Again nothing crazy but its a nice touch.
Outside of combat this really feels like a streamlined Three Houses game. Granted here it is about for each chapter how you spend your training and activity points. Towards the end this can become tedious because you should maximize strategy points but doing every side mission can be a hassle. That was really my only issue regarding gameplay builds.

You get weapon ranks only through moving to classes. Again given this is streamlined this makes sense.

Now the conflict with Byleth is interesting with the MC. For the bad ending basically where you don't recruit him it just feels like part of rivalry between the two. The game clearly indicates from other characters you SHOULD recruit him. Tho what is my biggest issue in the game the game gives you no warning on what you need to do meet the ridiculous requirements. Tho it is fitting I got a bad ending when using the empire.

The cast is the same except Monic lives in this timeline. Tho tbh she can be as annoying as Hubert just weirder to say the least. Not everyone has support conversations but you can guess who will have them with each other.

Here the empire route is much better. In Three Houses its terrible. Since TWSITD are fought off screen. And it feels rushed being by far the shortest route of the four routes. In Three Hopes both Rhea and Thales are assumed dead. Which isn't great. But afterwords the war continues between the 3 factions. At least in the scenario you don't recruit Byleth.

Overall I had fun with it. This really felt like a Three Houses stylized Warriors game instead of a FE skin. It still has its issues. Combat can be really repetitive and easy. Route conditions is badly designed. But I had a lot of fun. Going to do a Blue Lions route next. Also worth mentioning it runs at an uncapped frame rate between 30-40 FPS. This might be better off played on a new switch hardware next year. Assuming emulation isn't an option.