:flabbynsick: brehs, 1998 was 20 years ago speak on it...

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
1998 was the last golden year in hiphop in like

one week

there was tribe album
black star
outkast
jay-z

:stylin:

LL battle
Lauryn Solo album
nobody major died

and people started to get away from the super easy to recolonize sample

2002/2004/2012 were close

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1998 was the last golden year in hiphop in like

one week

there was tribe album
black star
outkast
jay-z

:stylin:

LL battle
Lauryn Solo album
nobody major died

and people started to get away from the super easy to recolonize sample

2002/2004/2012 were close
Why 2004?

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ahhhh yes....1998....I was a junior in high shool in Birmingham and I was noticing that the hip hop scene in my region was starting to really blow up...

But I really couldn't have given a fukk less b/c I was a huge Wu stan :russ:.

My goodness '98 was a hard year for Wu Tang fans b/c that was when their sh!t started to fall off.

I came to the party late. I was listening to all the new sh!t first and I would go backwards and listen to all their classic sh!t like...3 or 4 years after they all dropped.

Immobilarity, in comparison to OBFCL is :hhh:.

MC wise, Everybody in the Clan was BETTER...MUCH better....but the beats and hooks were just not there.

And then Cappadonna's album dropped...and it was maybe hip hop's ultimate "wet the bed" moment. He had seemingly forgotten how to flow....he wasn't clever anymore....and the beats weren't what I thought they'd be. The Swarm had some classics but there were tooo many b-teamers on that album to maintain it's quality.

If I remember correctly, The Pillage was the no.3 album IN THE COUNTRY...only Madonna's Ray of Light and the Titanic Soundtrack were ahead of it. Every Wu-related release had a strong opening week, but once ppl actualy heard those albums...........

And it's funny how yall look at all the stuff that dropped back then and yall see it as classic now b/c back in the day on SOHH...dudes HATED that sh!t...they HATED the LOX...HATED Fabolous...HATED Cash Money....if you weren't Wu or Gangstarr or some truly "authentic" grimy east coast guys, you weren't hip hop. 20 years from now, we'll probably revise history for the Migos' and Drakes' of the world, too.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I was 16, and it was aight. Not gonna romanticize like it was an all-time great year
98 was better than 97 as far as hip-hop, but it still wasn't on the level it was before Pac/Big deaths
Some of the new bloods held it down that year, but there was a good amount of disappointments from highly anticipated albums and vets that dropped classics before

DISAPPOINTMENTS
Can-I-Bus - maybe most disappointing of all time
Tical 2000- cool but was expecting a classic
The Pillage- beats carried this, Cappadonna disappointed tremendously
Bobby Digital - was expecting RZA dropping jewels and not this dusthead experiment
Kurupt's album can't even remember the name
Doc's Da Name 2000 - Da Goodness was a banger, I'll Be Dat video is classic... but nah
El Nino - anybody still remember this even came out?
Snoop's No Limit album - this seemed like a joke..not a way to get the West Coast crown back
Onyx Shut Em Down - singles banged, but that's about it
Tribe's The Love Movement - an uninspired exit

No more Martin, New York Undercover or Living Single :mjcry:
Nah the shut em down album was dope. I still bang that shyt all the way through. Very dope CD. Booby digital has some dope cuts but didn't age well at all.

But yeah def some disappointments.
Rasassination as well. Still has couple classic tracks tho.

I came across that El Nino disc tje otjer day lol..that shyt was terrible. Instant weed plate.

Xzibit dropped 40 days 40 nights but that was dope.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I just mentioned 1998 in another thread.

IMO it's one of the greatest years for music, gaming and sports we have seen in a very very long time. Maybe ever.

Arguably the best year in the past 20 tbh.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
1998 was truly a great year all around in music, gaming and sports.

Probably the best single year in the 90s and arguably best year in the past 20.
I just mentioned 1998 in another thread.

IMO it's one of the greatest years for music, gaming and sports we have seen in a very very long time. Maybe ever.

Arguably the best year in the past 20 tbh.
tell me why both showed up in my mentions back to back and i read both tabs one after another tho :russ:

on some

giphy.gif