:lawd:

Deezay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
These Kids
...and so,

Timesplitters Rewind Is In Development For PS4

Fans of Timesplitters looking for something positive and good to come out of the community project Timesplitters Rewind... you need not look very far. The team of 35 or so part-timers have been working around the clock to crank out content for the multiplayer-based redo of the popular shooter franchise, but the experience may not be relegated to PC gaming.

As many of you know, Sony has gone over and beyond to reach out to the independent gaming community, putting a halt to patching fees and waiving a lot of certification procedures and their concept approval process. This step by Sony has made them look like an appealing option for many indie devs, and in equal measure, Sony sees independent developers as an appealing alternative to the standard AAA publishing and development schtick.

With all that said, Gaming Blend had a chance to chat it up with Michael Hubicka, the project lead on Timesplitters Rewind, which is a CryEngine 3 powered multiplayer compilation of maps, weapons and characters from the three Timesplitters games. One of the things that we discussed was the team's willingness to get the game up and running on home consoles... more specifically, the PlayStation 4. Things are actually looking up in a much better way than some may have originally thought, with Hubicka saying...

“We're actually going to go ahead and start development [of Timesplitters Rewind] on PlayStation 4. Just because we're pretty confident Crytek's going to say go ahead and do it. But we don't want them saying go ahead and do it when we're caught with our pants down and we're like halfway through development and [then] start something for the PlayStation 4.
"So we decided that since they released the SDK to allow us to do this, we're going to go ahead and do it ourselves, and when they say 'yes' or 'no' we can decide what to do with that. For now we're just going to go ahead and do it. So at least we're prepared”.

Smart man.

However, just because Timesplitters Rewind is in development for the PlayStation 4 doesn't mean that it's coming to the PlayStation 4. There are a lot of projects made for a platform but it doesn't always mean they're approved for release.

Right now the team is still seeking approval from Crytek's legal department regarding the actual release of the game on Sony's console, with Michael explaining that...
It's mostly just us waiting on Crytek's legal department to give us the go ahead. With these things it's not like they say 'Hey, we don't know you but we'll give you access to these things and you can release it on this or that console.' It's also their reputation on the line.”

He explains that it's not just about what the team working on Timesplitters Rewind wants, but what looks good for the company in the long run... and there are a lot of small details to work out before an actual release schedule is put into place for the home consoles.

As for a release on the Xbox One... don't hold your breath. According to Michael...
“In terms of the Xbox One, we haven't really looked into the development behind it, because there's still a lot of details we need to look into.
“For example, the Xbox 360 did have that – I think it's still there or if they finally broke it off – but the certification process, I think, is like $10,000 per patch – that's if the patch gets approved – if not, there's like some other fee just to do an update to that patch.
“There was a weird process for the Xbox 360 and it was a huge turnoff for me, and they still haven't really said anything appealing to me that would definitely make me think 'Okay, let's do this for the Xbox One'. It doesn't mean that I don't want to, because the more the merrier.”

That incident regarding patching fees has supposedly (though Microsoft has never publicly stated such) been resolved, with some indie devs claiming that they no longer require specific fees to patch games... or so that is what was inferred by Phil Fish, though it was never fully or explicitly confirmed

We'll have up the full interview later on in the week. For now PlayStation 4-owners-to-be can rest assured that they're at least on the development block for Timesplitters Rewind. I bet you're feeling a lot better about that pre-order decision, eh?

A playable alpha is scheduled for release this holiday season. According to Hubicka, they're just around 20% done with the game, but they plan on releasing playable parts as they become available, with additional characters, maps and weapons scheduled to arrive at a later date.

You can learn more about Timesplitters Rewind or contribute to the cause by paying a visit to the game's official website.

TH29

Rookie
Daps
Man I saw this news and got very excited. I played the heck out of Time Splitters Future Perfect and I hope that Time Splitters Rewind does come out. I remember hearing a rumor a while back that a new Timesplitters game may be coming to Xbox One. I am just glad it is possibly coming to PS4 instead. Time Splitters future perfect was way ahead of its time. The game had a multiplayer map builder, but you also could make single player levels as well. I just hope that Time Splitters Rewind sees the light of day.

Deezay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
These Kids
A new campaign has started for TimeSplitters 4 that has reached the attention of Crytek's higher-ups. Even former Free Radical members are intrigued about the new campaign that is aiming to hit 100,000 fans to help get TimeSplitters 4 made.

The Facebook page is a collaborative effort from gamers coming together to get Crytek to see that fans really do want and will pay for a TimeSplitters 4. The campaign sees the group utilizing social media, news aggregators and gaming websites to help promote the campaign and I get the feeling that it just might work.

Former Free Radical member Graeme Norgate, the composer on previous TimeSplitter games, says he'll contribute a victory theme song to the campaign if it reaches its goal of 100,000 fans. A senior Crytek artist also says he'll contribute a character design for TimeSplitters if they can get more than 1,000 likes on the Facebook page. As of the writing of this article they're currently at 780 likes.

In a recent interview with CVG Crytek president, Cevat Yerli was apprehensive about going the Kickstarter route (and realistically, they don't need to because TimeSplitters 4 doesn't need to be a $10 million dollar project) but Yerli doesn't think publishers will buy the idea that there is a big enough market for a TimeSplitters 4. That seems like the perfect opportunity for EA to dump a few million from their marketing budget and gain back some face by backing an XBLA or PSN rendition of TimeSplitters 4. It could work...it could work!

There's also the concern that TimeSplitters 4 faces stiff market competition from all the serious me-too military clones. I'm sure true fans are skeptical about the game turning into another serious Call of Duty style shooter, which is just something we don't need right now.

Anyways, gamers, for the moment, are just coming together and signing petitions, boosting up reddit threads and hijacking news aggregators to spread the word about the TimeSplitters 4 Facebook campaign. I definitely want to see how far this will go and what sort of results will come out of this. As mentioned, this would be the perfect time for EA to save some face with a community who dreadfully hates them.

You can learn more by visiting the Official TimeSplitters 4 Facebook Fan Page.

Let's get this cracking, My Brehthrens!!!
As I was saying...

TimeSplitters Rewind Is Still Moving Forward, Big Announcement Inbound

timesplitters_rewind_66547.jpg

TimeSplitters Rewind is a project based on the TimeSplitters intellectual property. It's being worked on by members of the gaming community as well as former members from Free Radical Design, the studio that was in charge of developing the first three TimeSplitters games. Given Crytek's recent shake-up there's been some concern over what would happen with TimeSplitters Rewind, and we now finally have an answer.

Blues News rolls out an account of the events, as the project is still moving forward. There's also a big announcement inbound regarding the game.

For those that don't know, Crytek is in charge of the TimeSplitters IP after bringing in Free Radical Design under their fold. The studio was changed into Crytek UK, and while Crytek, the parent company, had no actual plans to do anything with TimeSplitters, often hinting that if the market interest was there that they would pursue another game for the franchise. However, after a Facebook petition got underway, it didn't quite result in the sort of development momentum that some gamers had hoped for.

Nevertheless, the dedicated community continued to pursue TimeSplitters and eventually a new project called Rewind got under the way, focusing on remaking the multiplayer maps from the previous TimeSplitters titles, headed up by Michael Hubicka.

Crytek gave the team their blessings to work on the project, however it had to be done for free and they couldn't use any of the assets from the previous games, which meant they had to undergo the painstaking task of recreating all of the game's assets from scratch.

We eventually learned that the game was also in development for the PS4, and that the team was working to get a playable alpha done as soon as possible.

However, things have sort of taken a striking turn, as Crytek has been in the news lately for their financial troubles.

The company has undergone a massive financial restructuring after reports from back in April indicated that things were not going well. Multiple reports surfaced in June indicating that Crytek's staff were in in disarray and that many key members had not been paid in months.

Crytek, at the time, denied the rumors. However, later the development director for Homefront: The Revolution left the company. This was later followed by one of the lead graphics engineers for the CryEngine taking up his ball and heading into id Software's yard to work on the id Tech 6 engine for the upcoming Doom game

Eventually Crytek came forward to acknowledge that they are closing the Crytek UK and Crytek US headquarters and focusing more on publishing and helping license out the CryEngine. Of course, Crytek UK is where the staff are located working on TimeSplitters Rewind – they're also the studio name that's still sitting on the TimeSplitters IP.

Worries mounted that TimeSplitters Rewind may have fallen between the cracks after Crytek announced that they would be moving away from developing various games, and shifting priorities on projects as well as selling off Homefront: The Revolution to Deep Silver.

However, Michael Hubicka makes it known that TimeSplitters Rewind is still moving forward and there is big news inbound. You can learn more by visiting the official TS Rewind website.
:feedme: