For The First Time Ever, Millennials With Student Debt Have Negative Net Wealth

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Nobody is shocked by this.

Once the government increased public subsidies for higher ed, these schools scrambled to increase tuition and get a bigger slice of the pie; and they've been at it ever since. It's really no different than the medical industry. Once the gov't increased their spending for things like Medicare/Medicaid, and health insurance expanded, suddenly hospitals started charging $800 for an Advil. Millennials are paying overinflated tuition costs for institutional greed.

The student loan bubble is the next to burst, mark my words.

YamakaSmacker

Banned
Daps
Definitely.

Toys R Us went bankrupt recently and blamed Millennials not having kids as the reason :mjlol:

They're starting to shyt on young adults for not buying houses too but, how you gonna save 40 grand for a DP with low wages and massive debt :troll:
Numerous home buyers programs that virtually eliminate down payments...
Unless you're talking about a lavish trip to Dubai to get dpd:dame:

Most young grads I see are lost in the sauce... Book smart but not wavy when it comes to maneuvering in society without mommy and daddys help

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Numerous home buyers programs that virtually eliminate down payments...

If these no down payment programs were as numerous as you claim everybody would own a home.

Tthey're hardly ubiquitous. I can think of 3 off the top of my head locally (in my state), none of which are widely well known and all of which include some set of elaborate hoops to jump through just to get a maybe. And nothing is guaranteed. These programs exist, but they can be incredibly hard to find or work with.

YamakaSmacker

Banned
Daps
If these no down payment programs were as numerous as you claim everybody would own a home.

Tthey're hardly ubiquitous. I can think of 3 off the top of my head locally (in my state), none of which are widely well known and all of which include some set of elaborate hoops to jump through just to get a maybe. And nothing is guaranteed. These programs exist, but they can be incredibly hard to find or work with.
Can't refute this

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just following the trends. Our last bubble happened because banks gave mortgages to anyone with a pulse to peddle derivatives and once people started defaulting in mass the jig was up. With student loans the government backstopped all debt so banks felt comfortable loaning 50k to teenagers and colleges greedily spiked tuition. Since you can't default on student debt, the pain will be felt elsewhere. People will stop buying houses. Put off getting married. Put off having kids. Put off traveling. Decrease consumer spending. Decrease going out as much. Decrease buying the big ticket items previous generations bought frequently. If you pay attention to the news, you already see various industries bytching about this now. Then you throw in automation and the massive amount of job loss that's predicted to occur in the next ten years and it gets real scary. There's a few politicians talking about it but, Washington will refuse to do anything until it gets much worse.

Nothing but facts here. We are heading into some times the world has never seen. This is going to be the demise of the American dream.

DerrtySouthpaw

Gawdisbyke
Daps
Reppin
404 to 205
And they used to laugh at those of us who went to community colleges... I paid cash for my tuition, before I dropped out...
I wasted my first 2 years at a 4 year when I should’ve transferred and then finished. I could’ve saved so much money and
Time cause them classes were hard as fukk :damn:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
They're going to end up discharging Student Loan debt.

Remember this post in 5-10 years when it happens.

There's too many indebted graduates, wages are stagnant, meaningful job growth is nonexistent and massive automation is around the corner.

People have to buy houses, cars, travel, consumer goods for the economy to function. And if everyone is suffering under crushing debt, all those industries are going to stagnate. If foreign investors weren't laundering cash through investment properties, the housing market would look extra flabby. These industries are starting to cry already. When baby boomers start to die off and its up to Gen X, Millennials and Gen Z to keep everything running, you're going to see just how fukked up things are.

Nah, the debt will be used to keep us in check. If there's no money then people will pay with something else.. time, energy, etc. Think about the 15 Million Merits episode of Black Mirror.