Freedmen's Towns and Enslaved/ADOS influenced settlements

Discussion in 'The Root' started by Citi Trends, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Citi Trends

Citi Trends aka milobased

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    C.I.T.I
    Coli Cash:
    $205056.00

Even if a town, particularly your hometown, isn't a Freedmen town/a majority black or a heavily ADOS influenced city(at the moment), you should take the time out to research it's beginnings and settlers.

Many of these cities, especially smaller southern cities, were founded with the aid of "free" blacks and the enslaved. There were small battles and conflicts where our ancestors were some of the first people to fight and die for this country and its settlements.

Help preserve the names of those who made this all possible while being under the worst conditions. Learn about yours or your people's small towns. This is why the declaration of "descendants of SLAVES" is important and nothing to be ashamed of.

Alot of these towns are dying out and being forgotten along with the named of the men and women who helped found them.

One by one, Missouri’s black towns disappear

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7fefa9f3dab9

A list of Freedmen's town List of Freedmen's towns - Wikipedia
    But the history is more vast and earlier than that. Chances are your hometown was helped into existence prosperity by enslaved or former enslaved.

Looking up history for my own birthplace(Columbus, MS) and the area surrounding it, I discovered alot I didn't know. Though I was already obviously aware of it being a majority black city with obvious black influence and culture, what I did not know was that the first major construction project started in my city was by a former slave named Horace King.

Black History and the settlement of Columbus

2. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

Eatonville, Florida - Wikipedia

Eatonville
    is a town in Orange County, Florida, United States, six miles north of Orlando. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee metropolitan statistical area. The town includes the Eatonville Historic District.

Incorporated on August 15, 1887, it was one of the first self-governing all-black municipalities in the United States. Such towns were often created because local town and county police forces refused to protect black communities.[5] The population was 2,159 at the 2010 census.[6]

Noted author Zora Neale Hurston grew up in Eatonville, which she featured in many stories. In 1990 the town founded the Zora Neale Hurston Museum of Fine Arts. Every winter the town stages the Zora Neale Hurston Festival of the Arts and Humanities. A library named for her opened in January 2004.

Artist Jules Andre Smith has done a series of paintings depicting life in Eatonville during the 1930s and 1940s. Twelve of these works are at the Maitland Art Center in the adjacent town of Maitland.

Eatonville is home to WESH and WKCF, two television stations serving the Orlando television market.

Geode, IllmaticDelta, AlainLocke and 9 others dapped this.
  3. Citi Trends

Citi Trends aka milobased

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    C.I.T.I
    Coli Cash:
    $205056.00

There are alot of AfrAms and their history that gets forgotten about in Florida, especially the middle to lower middle parts of Florida.
    People have this perception that it's "different" from the rest of us and only think of immigrants and south florida.

Places like Gifford in the Indian River area have a deep history but are stepped over and decaying communities now. Gifford, FL-Based “Pioneering Change” Set to Celebrate Their One Year Anniversary.

Also just searching though sites like this: PAS:APAL | Pioneer America Society : Association for the Preservation of Artifacts and Landscapes | PAST Journal, Volume 34, 2011
    You can some across alot of unknown african american history. I can't believe i didn't know about this group until now.

4. AggieLean.

AggieLean. Black American Cowboy. #PantherPosse

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    South Winston-Salem. Mississippi.
    Coli Cash:
    $700.00

A lot of AA cities/towns in Texas/Oklahoma.

We need to be doing everything in our power to helping out in preserving these towns and the people in them.

So many of our people out here being forgotten about outside of the major cities and states, with our AA farmers being some of the forgotten.

This type of information needs to be pushed out there.

5. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

In the entire Black Belt -is forgotten history and towns.

All Black Towns | Season 3 | ONR

Tuskegee Alabama which is basically located in Montgomery Alabama.

New York Template

Tuskegee (/tʌsˈkiːɡiː/[3]) is a city in Macon County, Alabama, United States. It was founded and laid out in 1833 by General Thomas Simpson Woodward, a Creek War veteran under Andrew Jackson, and made the county seat that year. It was incorporated in 1843.[4]It is also the largest city in Macon County. At the 2010 census the population was 9,865, down from 11,846 in 2000.

Tuskegee has been an important site in African-American history and highly influential in United States history since the 19th century. Before the American Civil War, the area was largely used as a cotton plantation, dependent on African-American slave labor. After the war, many freedmen continued to work on plantations in the rural area, which was devoted to agriculture. In 1881 the Tuskegee Normal School (now Tuskegee University, a historically black college) was founded by Lewis Adams, a former slave whose father, Jesse Adams, a slave owner, allowed him to be educated, and its first, founding principal was, Booker T. Washington who developed a national reputation and philanthropic network to support education of freedmen and their children.

In 1923, the Tuskegee Veterans Administration Medical Center was established here, initially for the estimated 300,000 African-American veterans of World War I in the South, when public facilities were racially segregated. Twenty-seven buildings were constructed on the 464-acre campus.[5]

The city was the subject of a notable civil rights case, Gomillion v. Lightfoot (1960), in which the United States Supreme Court ruled that the state legislature had violated the Fifteenth Amendment in 1957 by gerrymandering city boundaries as a 28-sided figure that excluded nearly all black voters and residents, and none of the white voters or residents.[6] The city's boundaries were restored in 1961 after the ruling.​

Also -- Alabama has Hobson City -- I went there when I was little with my parents. It was Alabama's first all Black city.

Hobson City opened opportunities for itself and other people of color within a radius of several counties. It is little wonder that Black people came from all over the region to experience, enjoy, and treasure the town. Hobson City’s “town park” was commissioned as soon as the community was incorporated. Over its decades of service this seventeen acre public open space has served as a resting place that allowed Black, or White, travelers to stop without fear of being incarcerated for vagrancy; a setting for Negro League baseball barnstorm games with the Birmingham Black Barons; the site of a classic southern juke joint; and the current backdrop for the public library.

Hobson City: How Desegregation Almost Killed Ala.'s First All-Black City

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  6. AggieLean.

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $700.00

Winston-Salem's African American Legacy by Cheryl Streeter Harry | Arcadia Publishing Books

Just a little background on my hometown, and it’s African American history.

Tobacco is mentioned, and how the tobacco industry allowed for the black communities in the cities to rival the black Wall Street of Tulsa and other thriving black communities at the time. My pop tells stories of picking tobacco as a kid, and how most every black person in the city knew someone who worked at the tobacco plant; RJ Reynolds. My pop used to talk of picking tobacco, having to watch out for the tobacco worms, and my grandpa buying he and his 5 other siblings one Mountain Dew bottle, and then having to share it. He said you didn’t wanna be the one with the last swig lol

7. Supper

Supper All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

Salute for the thread @Citi Trends. I had a similar idea to make a thread dedicated to historical black towns and neighborhoods.

Oh I'm bout to have fun with this one. :lolbron:

Northisde of 3rd ward Houston

https://www.math.uh.edu/champ/images/Wilson.pdf

Third Ward, Houston - Wikipedia

Emancipation Park, 3rd ward

Emancipation Park (Houston) - Wikipedia

^^^^^Sad story with a happy ending.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. Supper

Supper All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

4th ward/Freedman's Town Houston

Fourth Ward, Houston - Wikipedia

9. Supper

Supper All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

5th ward Houston

Fifth Ward, Houston - Wikipedia

Frenchtown 5th ward(birth place of zydeco music and where my grandma aka momo settled when she first moved from St laundry parish LA to houston)

Frenchtown, Houston - Wikipedia

^^^ I disagree with how they racialize creoles to be equivalent with "mixed race" when creole simply means someone of colonial Louisiana heritage and is primarily a cultural marker for that of black and mulatto people. At best creole AAs were on average slightly lighter skinned than non-creole AAs like my paternal momo who married my grandfather. Still most creoles who migrated to Houston were black like 3 of 4 of my grandparents and only a minority were "mulatto" like my grandmas neighbor(who married a non-creole black texas woman from rural texas). Distinction between creole and non-creole AAs are non existent among native AA Houstonians of my generation and younger. Most native houston Afr'Ams are a mix of creole and non creole heritages and only refer to "creole" to mean culture or heritage that derives from the people who migrated from rural SW Louisiana during the great migration period.

10. Supper

Supper All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

Independence Heights Houston

Independence Heights, Houston - Wikipedia

Sunnyside Houston

Sunnyside, Houston - Wikipedia

11. Supper

Supper All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

Acres Homes Houston

Acres Homes, Houston - Wikipedia

African American architecture in Houston- Shotgun/Rowhouses

Shotgun house | architecture

3rd ward

[​IMG]

4th ward

[​IMG]

5th ward

[​IMG]

12. Tony_Bromo

Tony_Bromo Still learning.... Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Dade/Broward
    Coli Cash:
    $349700.00

Subs for later thanks

13. Tony_Bromo

Tony_Bromo Still learning.... Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Dade/Broward
    Coli Cash:
    $349700.00

@Gifted one had posted some dope videos about south Florida towns

Gifted one, Citi Trends and xoxodede dapped this.
  14. AggieLean.

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $700.00

I believe Slim Thug is from the historic Acres Homes in Houston.

15. AggieLean.

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Coli Cash:
    $700.00

Happy Hill, A Historic Gem That Wasn’t Preserved

Happy Hills - an old African American community in my hometown that is home to the first school built for us after the civil war, called “The African School”. The oldest black community in the city.

My pop grew up in this community before moving in his teens, but he tells how they’d have a Happy Hills big cookout each year, and my grandpa would be out there helping with the grill.