From a non-sport viewpoint, this PennSt/JoePa/Sandusky incident...

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
...just goes to show you how easy it is for religions and cults to start and take hold. This was a 40-50 year build up, imagine 100 years? 1000 years? 2000 Years? Most of the students defending Paterno are NEW students who feel they owe it to their new identity to defend it beyond any reasoning.

Let's look at the immediate effects of the initial information in Nov 2011:

Students Rioting to protect "their god":

Press, who are supposed to impartial and objective:

Even now, Matt Millen and the press at State College are defending their "god", even in the light of all the evidence.

It's a tragic, yet fascinating look into human behavior, biased observation, worshiping and mob thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habit

Banned
Daps
It's a tragic, yet fascinating look into human behavior, biased observation, worshiping and mob thinking.

Its the arrogance of Old White men who feel they are above the law. At least 5 grown men knows about kids getting molested and nobody does anything? I hope Penn State gets sued for billions of dollars.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Its the arrogance of Old White men who feel they are above the law. At least 5 grown men knows about kids getting molested and nobody does anything? I hope Penn State gets sued for billions of dollars.

They did do something: cover it up.

But I'm not really trying to get into that topic. There are threads in the Coli about that.

I'm more interested in how this mentality forms and how it takes hold so quickly amongst even its newest members and "impartial" local press. It's a good analogy on how cults and religions take hold.

Habit

Banned
Daps
They did do something: cover it up.

But I'm not really trying to get into that topic. There are threads in the Coli about that.

I'm more interested in how this mentality forms and how it takes hold so quickly amongst even its newest members and "impartial" local press. It's a good analogy on how cults and religions take hold.

Sheeps.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is a real thread. were witnessing firsthand how people buy into mystique surrounding something 'sacred' and claiming it as their own. multiply that by 2000 years and in 2012 you have huge amounts of people who believe in a magical man in the sky, when weve developed technology to see light years into our galaxy

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I'll only respond to this scandal here. I've avoided it in the coli simply cause...well its the coli

I'm a recent PSU grad (pre-scandal) and I'm obviously still connected to the campus.

That being said, about the riot, it took place because of 3 things
- it was on a wednesday. Everyone knows wednesday is the start of the weekend
- since the first riot when we beat tyrelle pryor, the student body looks for every reason to storm downtown and riot (see phillies world series and osama's death)
- 95% of the students were out there to protect the school's name and their own credibility. I say this because ppl just can't seem to separate Paterno, the schools administration, and the students that make up the school

About the last point, you're more than welcome to judge the couple thousand students that rioted, but just remember that main campus has 40,000 undergrads. I wear my psu shirt proudly wherever the fukk I go. I will not feel embarrassed about being ranked forbes #1 school for recruitment. I will not feel embarrassed for having the most college graduates in the country.

For some reason, folks think I should feel shame for wearing it. Nah. I had not one single thing to do with that scandal. And I do not and did not support any of the actions taken/not taken. So leave me & my degree out of it.

I need to elaborate on that last point. After the scandal broke, I had numerous ppl ask me how I felt about the scandal. Think about how ppl are. Think about how foolish it is for ppl to see someone wearing the shirt and curl their lip. Or stare at you wanting to ask you a question about it. Dude leave me the fukk alooooooooooone.

We were actually quite surprised by the love from OSU/Michigan students cause we usually destroy each other. They've held us down and have been the only alumni bases that haven't thrown stones at those not involved.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
And I do not and did not support any of the actions taken/not taken. So leave me & my degree out of it.

Your position is laughable, way to stick to your guns buddy.
You remind me of the couches and enablers.

:russ:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Oh and about the point with separating the student body, paterno and the administration

Most of the ppl upset, were upset simply because all the reports singled out paterno.

Remember, the story broke through espn. So obviously espn being espn only focused on the football aspect. Yet paterno had 1 maybe 2 sentences in the entire pdf report that first came out. Nobody was protecting curley or graham. When the story first broke, from the lens of the student body it simply seemed like, "oh well duh nikka he got overruled and sandusky was already acquitted. And how could McQeary kind of see something, without saying something. THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE."

That entire day, everyone was saying this shyt doesn't make sense. But remember, the entire time the story broke, it was through the lens of "Joe paterno was the primary offender." And we were like, "Nooooo, NOBODY did anything. All elements of the cover up are wrong. Espn this is bigger than football, why are you here reporting from a football angle." shyt there was a dead prosecutor b. So paterno killed the prosecutor too??? None of the shyt made any sense. But *turn on the tv* Paterno responsible for cover up.....

And if you remember, paterno was fired first, before everybody while curley and schultz got PSU lawyers

She smelled/looked/felt weird

Oh and the faculty actually had beef with the investigation and how it went down. But I stopped following it so I won't go into detail.

Either way, I'm tired of espn handling it and I'm tired of sports talk shows handling it. I'm abbbbbsolutely tired of espn handling it.

Daps
fukk all them dirty ass white boys. Paterno seem liek a racist now too. He was probably in his office like "Haha Sand is fukking those little ******s in the ass? Make sure noone finds out eh?" Nasty ass fukkers. Idk how anyone can even go to that damn school kknowing thats how the higherups behave.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your position is laughable, way to stick to your guns buddy.
You remind me of the couches and enablers.

:russ:

:leostare: what are you talking about

my position is laughable

fukk MY POSITION. You nor I are involved with this case b.

What's your position??? It doesn't fukkn matter. Because when you go to sleep tonight, none of your family members will be one of the victims.

Get off your soapbox.