Game of Death Redux Teaser (Bruce Lee Byke!!!)

OmegaK2099

I do wut it do
Daps

thumbnail_yellow-banner.jpg

The first release of Game of Death Redux showcased 23 minutes of the 1972-era Game of Death footage that was presented closely the way Bruce intended, while at the same time, keeping in-tact some of the stronger as aspects of the universally panned, pieced together 1978 film (known to fans as Game of Death ’78), such as John Barry’s acclaimed score, as well some of the film’s strong audio design.

So why is there an updated Game of Death Redux – and more importantly – what can we expect from from it? We asked Canvan ourselves, and this is what he had to say:

Q: Why did you decide to make 2.0?

A: What’s the adage regarding art never being finished, only abandoned? Yeah. With the initial edit, my focus was entirely on the flow of the piece ( i.e. how the shots were cut and how the music drove the narrative.) Artistically, I was satisfied. Technically, there were aspects that bothered me. What I really wanted to do was a complete visual and sonic restoration. This took over a year to achieve, and I was fortunate enough to work with the right team to arrive at this new version.

Q: For those who have seen the original Game of Death Redux, what can be expected in version 2.0?

A: Where do I begin? For starters, the new Redux has been fully restored with a brand-new color grade and audio mix. Additionally, Chris Kent (who dubbed Bruce’s war cries for the 1978 movie), lent his voice once again to help streamline and fill gaps with the extended material. This was crucial to matching all the audio portions I used from the 1978 film. Chris did a stellar job. Finally, I reworked roughly a dozen sequences – some big, some small – adding flourishes here and there which resulted in a far more concise and dramatic presentation of the narrative. I can honestly say that Game of Death, in any incarnation, has never looked or sounded better. After 3 long years, I’m finally in a place where I can put it to rest.

Canvan’s Game of Death Redux was the latest project that focused on Bruce Lee’s original 1972 storyline, a subject that was previously explored in John Little’s 2000 documentary, Warrior’s Journey and Artport’s Bruce Lee in G.O.D. (released in Japan the same year), not to mention a series of fan edits that have been circulating the internet. All aforementioned edits use 1972-era Game of Death footage that was initially discovered by Hong Kong film expert Bey Logan, who stumbled upon the footage in the now-defunct Golden Harvest studio vaults back in 1999.

A Full Trailer and release plans for Game of Death Redux 2.0 will be revealed very soon.

Last edited: