Game's 'The Documentary 2' vs. Dr. Dre's 'Compton' (analyze, contrast and compare)

Which album is better?

• Dr. Dre - 'Compton: A Soundtrack'

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The Game - 'Documentary 2'

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
The teacher vs. the student

Compton bangs a little bit more but The Documentary 2 is a bit more but overall I'd say the albums are quite even

Certainly neither are better than the other by any measurable increment . .

Which leads you to wonder . .

Does Dre still got it? I mean sure he enlisted some talented guys and instructed them to "go hard" in the booth and probably coached them all the way through it. Kendrick sounds better than he ever has on it, those studio sessions for that project will probably lead to lessons learned that can be implemented into his work for his next project. You got Snoop on the album sounding like he's rapping with his real voice in an aggressive tone, basically has Snoop breaking character. . (the way Michael Jackson sang with his real voice on that one song on Invincible) . . and frankly, it's cool for historical purposes but is that what anyone wants for him? If you were a rapper and just paid Snoop for a verse and he came in there spitting with his real voice you would feel ripped off. That isn't the character behind the multi-million dollar brand you just paid for. On most spots in Compton Dre doesn't sound like himself, sometimes you even have to get halfway through the verse before realizing it's Dre. With The Documentary 2 Game is the same Game we've always known. Name drops included

Plus Game name dropped Mac Dre :obama:

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
I haven't listened to compton other than the first day I got it. I can't even name a memorable song off that joint.

If you heard a song from it at a sporting event you would probably think of it in a different light. The album just doesn't have the highs that you come to expect from a Dr. Dre album

unstoppable589

All Star
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
I liked 4 songs off Compton. The only weak song on both discs of Documentary 2 is Hashtag. No comparison in my opinion

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For me, disc 1 of Documentary isn't even in this discussion. There's nothing special about it IMO, outside of "Dollar And A Dream", "Made In America" and "Circles". Compton is more of an album that plays more like an album where each song is like a scene. The production is cinematic and justifies why it's labeled a "soundtrack", but instead of just merely background music, the music sets the scene. "Deep Water" is the best example of what I'm talking about. The music, the drowning effects, the vocal effects all paint a picture. Then you have the intro and "Animals", which paint a dark picture of the current climate of this country. This is what Compton and disc 2 have in common. They aren't just a collection of songs. IMO, both albums are light on the fillers and are more so better when played in full.

Overall, neither project is either's best. Compton does not have the highs of either of Dre's classic. Same goes for both discs of Documentary 2. None of the songs on either disc are as classic as the ones from the original Documentary.

msa13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll be the weirdo to say I thought Compton was dope as hell.

Both are really good but I like the way Compton gets really far out Space Future Music on shyt like Genocide, Darkside/Gone, and Loose Cannons.

raoulduke187

All Star
Daps
The Documentary 2 - the second disk is fukking amazing

Compton is garbage, doesn't sound like a Dre album at all, it's all over the place, too much Kendrick Lamar and Anderson Paak involvement and I can't stand either of them

both Dre and The Game have lost their minds to even put this fruity ass Anderson Paak nikka on their songs tho :yeshrug:

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
DJ Quik's Book of David shyts on Compton and DOC2 combined

It's crazy how underrated that album is