Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski says series needs a God of War style reboot

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
They should go straight up war-horror themed. Solo, fukk co-op. Like you said make the lancer a big deal to pay homage to the series, maybe the lead character a non-soldier.

I think the “yo bro” stuff the series rode on is kind of outdated. God of War did well because it shed a lot of that edge-lord stuff
the thing is... I don't even know if there's room for them in this climate, even running it that way.

Remnant 2 been getting love I hear. But even that doesn't have the staying power. I don't think the classic shooter formula can work in this game climate for very long. They'd need to get a tight story with strong mechanics, maybe try and revolutionize what a cover shooter should look like in this era with some real detail to the physics engine, but... then the question becomes 'for what'? What shooter works right now in gaming that isn't either a 50+ hour game with RPG mechanics, or a live service/mass multiplayer arena shooter?

They also can't cannibalize any of the COD playerbase because that'd be Microsoft competing with themselves now.

It's an idea, but not one that I think pans out. Because COD works as an intentionally-disposable product. It's literally just a yearly sports game a la Madden and Fifa, but you shoot nikkas. Down to the fact that the development resources are 90% online and barely a sprinkle for the single player.

Gears can't be that. And it should definitely not be a sprawling RPGshooter like Cyberpunk - fukk no. I just don't think there's a place in the market for it that'll let it exist while still justifying the 'Gears of War' name.

...time for them to just let it go and become an RTS. It's really what the franchise would be best used for at this point. Try and get the esports market poppin.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Breh where were you for gears 1 - 3? It had a great narrative for those games that was down to earth with great set pieces and enemies. Skorge, Raam, & Myrrah were all great antagonists. It had pathos, but I don’t need Gears to be some depressive ass Quantic Dream. Let a game just be a game.
By all means, think that brodie. But... those stories are steeped in nostalgia and folk think they have a greater amount of depth and pathos than they do. It was slow music mixing to make it seem like there were weighty emotional beats between bouts of blowing shyt up. There was nothing 'down to earth' about these storylines bruh.

It worked for what it was at the time. But just like God Of War 1-3... they do not age well. Or more... they are easy to age out of. There wasn't grit. There was just viscera. Dudes built like refrigerators fighting alien-fridges with guns that had chainsaws on them.

Why is there a chainsaw on a weapon intended for mid-range engagement? Because 'fukk yeah!'... but literally zero other reason. Because that was the design philosophy then - it didn't have to make sense it just had to be cool.
'Cool' has changed.
If Kratos was still spending all his time delivering his dialogue at max volume and bouncing between beheading enemies to threesomes in 2023 it wouldn't hit either.

So if Marcus Fenix rocks up in his whiteboy durag looking like he does 3-a-days at the gym and leg day is Nevuary 31st, rushing in like Leeroy Jenkins to chainsaw an alien when he has a perfectly functional automatic rifle... it ain't gon hit. The medium has moved past that being a AAA concept.

You gonna tell a story about an endless, senseless war and the nature of the ground troops forced to throw their lives into the abyss for a goal they'll likely never live to see... then you need to tell that story with some care. Not just throw edgelord environmental design and bootleg Metallica riffs at it and call it a day.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Gears of war fell into the same trap Disney Star Wars did by not rebooting the series with entirely new characters. The new gears trilogy should've moved on from Delta Squad, but by including Delta Squad they hamstrung themselves to tell their own story. I still like Gears 4 & 5, but the games definitely could've been more if they did a full reboot of the series. I think they just need to get Gears 6 over with and then put Gears to rest and work on a new IP. They can revisit Gears in 10 years or so when the game is fresh in people's mind.

Not saying these games are bad because I find them to be very good, but the execution of the new trilogy could've been better. I feel Gears also should separate campaign from multiplayer because I don't think the MP is that popular and keeping MP mechanics in the game holds back the campaign.

Also, stay far away from Cliffy B because dude has a lot of controversy surrounding him.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gears of war fell into the same trap Disney Star Wars did by not rebooting the series with entirely new characters. The new gears trilogy should've moved on from Delta Squad, but by including Delta Squad they hamstrung themselves to tell their own story. I still like Gears 4 & 5, but the games definitely could've been more if they did a full reboot of the series. I think they just need to get Gears 6 over with and then put Gears to rest and work on a new IP. They can revisit Gears in 10 years or so when the game is fresh in people's mind.

Not saying these games are bad because I find them to be very good, but the execution of the new trilogy could've been better. I feel Gears also should separate campaign from multiplayer because I don't think the MP is that popular and keeping MP mechanics in the game holds back the campaign.

Also, stay far away from Cliffy B because dude has a lot of controversy surrounding him.

They didn’t even have to do a full reboot just simply focus on literally anything else going on in the universe.

Thats my problem with Star Wars also, it takes place over an ENTIRE galaxy, and its called STAR WARS, yet everything in that damn universe revolves around the same family. It would be so easy to free themselves of the shackles of 50 years of Star Wars lore and do something new and original but nope, skywalkers!

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
By all means, think that brodie. But... those stories are steeped in nostalgia and folk think they have a greater amount of depth and pathos than they do. It was slow music mixing to make it seem like there were weighty emotional beats between bouts of blowing shyt up. There was nothing 'down to earth' about these storylines bruh.

It worked for what it was at the time. But just like God Of War 1-3... they do not age well. Or more... they are easy to age out of. There wasn't grit. There was just viscera. Dudes built like refrigerators fighting alien-fridges with guns that had chainsaws on them.

Why is there a chainsaw on a weapon intended for mid-range engagement? Because 'fukk yeah!'... but literally zero other reason. Because that was the design philosophy then - it didn't have to make sense it just had to be cool.
'Cool' has changed.
If Kratos was still spending all his time delivering his dialogue at max volume and bouncing between beheading enemies to threesomes in 2023 it wouldn't hit either.

So if Marcus Fenix rocks up in his whiteboy durag looking like he does 3-a-days at the gym and leg day is Nevuary 31st, rushing in like Leeroy Jenkins to chainsaw an alien when he has a perfectly functional automatic rifle... it ain't gon hit. The medium has moved past that being a AAA concept.

You gonna tell a story about an endless, senseless war and the nature of the ground troops forced to throw their lives into the abyss for a goal they'll likely never live to see... then you need to tell that story with some care. Not just throw edgelord environmental design and bootleg Metallica riffs at it and call it a day.

So explain Doom, Borderlands, Like a Dragon Bruh, Breath of The Wild, are they not AAA.

Your idea for what Gears should become is god awful. Everything you’re saying about “edge lord” (which the game wasn’t) is what you want with your “pathos” . The Gears trilogy story was actually good, solid moments broken up by levity, you are overly playing up the dude bro narrative.

- Dom’s & Maria’s Story
- Tai’s torture
- Marcus sense of duty vs family
- Carmine living up to the family name
- Coke acceptance that his glory days are gone
- The disparity of losers in the Pendulum Wars & scavengers
- The flooding of Jacinto

They were buff, so what, they’re soldiers, their sizes had nothing to do with story. Honestly breh it just sounds like you want depressing shyt for no other reason than being depressing. That ultimately leads to lazy characters whose actions are driven by a theme and not the narrative. DMC V, Resident Evil both proved you don’t need that oversaturated “pathos” wrought in AAA gaming, it leads to following trends which are never successful. Halo 5 did it and that game was trash. Everything you’re suggesting means dumping everything that made Gears unique and turn it into something it’s not.

Neil Druckman really got y’all nikkas over a barrel when it comes to “AAA” gaming narratives. It likes saying let’s reboot Fast and the Furious and make it more like Godfather 2.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive

It should’ve been an anthology after Gears 3 do a completely new setting with a refresh to the mechanics. The Sera setting has been mined but they refused to move on from Marcus..

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
There never was a lot of great cover shooters, and Gears remains at the top, so I don't think there is any need to shelve the franchise. I don't think it needs a God of War-like reboot, it needs a Teen Titans Go! like reboot. Take all the cringe elements and turn em up to 100. Still make it a 3rd person cover shooter, but over the top like BroForce and Metal Slug. Pay homage to the originals by making fun of it. Teen Titans fans were pissed that their show was taken off the air, but Teen Titans Go was way more successful.