Geno Smith is 8th in league in QBR

JLova

Veteran
Daps
I already proved that was nonsense. He was 17-25 for 156 yards in the 2nd half and most of that came before his first int, which was with the Seahawks already down by 21 with just 10 minutes left.

#1: Drove the Seahawks 68 yards to the 7-yard line and looked like they were gonna score before a dumb o-line penalty knocked them back to 3rd-and-14

#2: Threw a 15-yard completion on the first play, then three straight o-line penalties created a 3rd-and-22

#3: pick

#4: 76-yard drive for a touchdown

How was he "completely shut down" if he had long drives on 2 out of 4 opportunities and the third drive ended because he had to start off with a 1st-and-25?

And that's with one of the best defenses in the league getting to load up against him cause a mediocre run game and too many penalties kept creating third-and-long situations. He had a 3rd-and-12, 3rd-and-14, and 3rd-and-22 on the first 2 drives of the 2nd half alone, and all three of them were created by a slew of penalties along with shytty predictable runs going nowhere on 1st down.

So basically he was great then. I’m not as invested in explaining away his mistakes as you are.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
his 2 turnovers didn’t help. He wasn’t the reason they lost but his play along with the rest of the team wilted in the 2nd half.
As I said, during the course of the game, you can’t be in third and longs vs 49ers. The o-line forced that with their penalties. So I dont get your point. The turnovers were a result of those penalties. They went from 2nd and short to 3rd & 14. Then the fumble.

Seattle isn’t good enough to win versus that 49ers team with that defense. So no… Penalties were the reason for those turnovers.

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
So no… Penalties were the reason for those turnovers.

In all my decades watching and discussing football, I believe this is the very first time seeing this statement.

It's one thing to say a penalty that wasn't called led to a turnover, but called penalties leading to only a 3rd and 14 (while in the redzone, only down 6 points) caused a turnover? The other turnover happening the play after a kickoff, on 1st and 10?

You got all kinds of loyalty. Because let Hurts do the exact same shyt next week, I'm on his helmet.

:heh:

NYC Rebel

Daps
In all my decades watching and discussing football, I believe this is the very first time seeing this statement.

It's one thing to say a penalty that wasn't called led to a turnover, but called penalties leading to only a 3rd and 14 (while in the redzone, only down 6 points) caused a turnover? The other turnover happening the play after a kickoff, on 1st and 10?

You got all kinds of loyalty. Because let Hurts do the exact same shyt next week, I'm on his helmet.

:heh:
I said throughout the game, particularly in the first half if you read the thread, what kept the Seahawks in the game the first half was they stayed in third and manageable. I clearly said, play against this 49ers defense, when you have to go against them on third and long, and their ears are pinned back, you lose.

I don’t care if it wasn’t heard or said by anyone else . I said it in real time in the game thread before the fumble you don’t get in third and long situation versus that 49ers team.

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I said throughout the game, particularly in the first half if you read the thread, what kept the Seahawks in the game the first half was they stayed in third and manageable. I clearly said, play against this 49ers defense, when you have to go against them on third and long, and their ears are pinned back, you lose.

I don’t care if it wasn’t heard or said by anyone else . I said it in real time in the game thread before the fumble you don’t get in third and long situation versus that 49ers team.

Ok bet, you said "kept the Seahawks in the game the first half". Also bet, the niners pin their ears back on 3rd and long.

However...

When the score is 17-23? I don't care what defense you play against, 3rd and 14 while in the redzone is not time for a turnover.

Also, his interception came on 1st and 10.

I'm not seeing viable excuses, especially with context, for his turnovers. I thought he played very well, but he needs to be held accountable for those turnovers. He chose not to protect the ball while in a closing pocket and he threw an errant pass.

Call it as simply as that, while still giving him credit for what he did do well.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Ok bet, you said "kept the Seahawks in the game the first half". Also bet, the niners pin their ears back on 3rd and long.

However...

When the score is 17-23? I don't care what defense you play against, 3rd and 14 while in the redzone is not time for a turnover.

Also, his interception came on 1st and 10.

I'm not seeing viable excuses, especially with context, for his turnovers. I thought he played very well, but he needs to be held accountable for those turnovers. He chose not to protect the ball while in a closing pocket and he threw an errant pass.

Call it as simply as that, while still giving him credit for what he did do well.
Ask yourself why the score was what it was. The Seahawks had zero penalties in the first half. Zero.

By the end of the third-quarter, they have four penalties, three alone by their offensive lineman number 68.

The Seahawks are not good enough to overcome that. It’s not rocket science, and I pretty much knew that keeping it third and reasonable was the only way for for them to remain in the game. I CLEALY posted that BEFORE the turnovers as you can read. The SECOND they got into third & longs, what happened?

Last edited:

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Ask yourself why the score was what it was. The Seahawks had zero penalties in the first half. Zero.

By the end of the third-quarter, they have four penalties, three alone by their offensive lineman number 68.

The Seahawks are not good enough to overcome that. It’s not rocket science, and I pretty much knew that keep it third and reasonable was the only way for for them to remain in the game. I clearly said that as you can read it. The second they got into third & longs, what happened?
And I agree with you. Don't get in 3rd and long situations against a good defense. shyt don't do it against any defense. Especially not on the road, against a division rival, while in the playoffs.

I'm not disagreeing with a word of that. It's a recipe for stalled drives and one dimensional play calling.

I'm disagreeing with blaming penalties, or in this case, one penalty. That led to a 3rd and 14 situation, for causing a turnover, in the red zone.

I can see Geno is your guy, and I have nothing bad to say about him. I want to see a fan of his hold him accountable for the turnovers. It doesn't take away from his season or all the other snaps yesterday..but shyt, say he fukked up on those two plays, it happens.

NYC Rebel

Daps
And I agree with you. Don't get in 3rd and long situations against a good defense. shyt don't do it against any defense. Especially not on the road, against a division rival, while in the playoffs.

I'm not disagreeing with a word of that. It's a recipe for stalled drives and one dimensional play calling.

I'm disagreeing with blaming penalties, or in this case, one penalty. That led to a 3rd and 14 situation, for causing a turnover, in the red zone.

I can see Geno is your guy, and I have nothing bad to say about him. I want to see a fan of his hold him accountable for the turnovers. It doesn't take away from his season or all the other snaps yesterday..but shyt, say he fukked up on those two plays, it happens.
I blame the penalties. Listen… I watch a Jets team not give up 300 yards in a single game or year and have the second most amount of quarterback pressures without blitzing. There’s something special about having a defense who will there is a pin back, it’s a wrap. It doesn’t matter who the quarterback is. That’s what elite defenses do and no one is more than 40 Niners so it has nothing to do with who the quarterback is. No QB had success versus the Niners. If you don’t stay on the tight rope versus that team you are as good is dead. Those penalties killed them. I clearly wrote that avoiding third and longs was the key.

What put them in those third and long positions? Errant or bad throws? The inability to pick up yards on the runs? Kenneth Walker was having a good game. .No. It was penalties

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I blame the penalties. Listen… I watch a Jets team not give up 300 yards in a single game or year and have the second most amount of quarterback pressures without blitzing. There’s something special about having a defense who will there is a pin back, it’s a wrap. It doesn’t matter who the quarterback is. That’s what elite defenses do and no one is more than 40 Niners so it has nothing to do with who the quarterback is. No QB had success versus the Niners. If you don’t stay on the tight rope versus that team you are as good is dead. Those penalties killed them. I clearly wrote that avoiding third and longs was the key.

What put them in those third and long positions? Errant or bad throws? The inability to pick up yards on the runs? Kenneth Walker was having a good game. .No. It was penalties
I get you, the penalty put them in a situation that made it harder to convert. It added to the pressure. All very valid points that I don't dispute.

It did not cause the fumble though, solely as a matter of fact. It's impossible a previous play causes a turnover the next.

Below isn't relevant to the main point. Just talking ball from this point.

Even if Geno just took the sack there but retained possession, it still could have been a 20-23 game almost assuredly. They could have had a 3rd and 30 and still been within field goal range. That fumble was brutal. And since I agree with you as far as playing mistake free, on schedule offense against a great defense.. it makes the turnover that much more damning in such a close game.

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It will be interesting to see what SEA does in the draft bc Geno earned himself a contract IMO just don’t know if they see him as the guy or if they plan on drafting a new QB

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Then you don't pay attention. Teams facing 3rd-and-long situations or 20+ point deficits are at far higher risk for turnovers because they have to take bigger risks and the defense knows which plays are coming so they can tee off at the QB. We talk about turnovers being caused by the game situation all the time.

Geno didn't throw a single pick until the 'hawks were already down 21 with 10 minutes left in the game, meaning the defense knew he had to air it out and had 7 guys in coverage, but Geno still had to force a throw because what else is he gonna do at that point? And his only fumble came on a 3rd-and-14 with a short field where yet again there were 7 guys in coverage blanketing his receivers and then everyone on his line got beat. Best chance he had was to throw the ball away and kick the field goal, but that's still just 3 points and his defense wasn't doing jack shyt to stop the Niners.

This is the situation TWO SECONDS after the snap on a play where his WRs need to get 15 yards downfield against 7-man coverage with a short field to defend:

Obyz1K2.jpg

Everyone on the line is beat 2 seconds in. He can't go left cause two guys are getting beat. He can't go right cause another guy is getting beat. So he tries to step up on the correct side of #72 and the FOURTH defender gets through with a spin move on his blind side and causes the fumble.

There's nothing there except throwing the ball away 2 seconds after the snap, which would be automatic on 1st down with the lead, but no QB wants to throw the ball away immediately on 3rd down when the team is trailing.

The o-line are the ones who fukked that play up, and he wouldn't even have been in that position if it wasn't for the o-line. But it's more popular to blame the QB every time especially if it's a black QB.

I don't care what defense you play against, 3rd and 14 while in the redzone is not time for a turnover.

Is 1st-and-10 in the red zone a better time for a turnover? How about 3rd-and-2 in the red zone? Should you commit all your turnovers when you're pinned back in your own territory? How about when you have the lead? Tie game?

3rd-and-long when you're losing is the easiest time for the defense to force you into a turnover. Especially when it's an elite, aggressive defense. There's no magic "no turnover" button for a team to press in that situation. When they can put 11 guys into pass rush/coverage and know you have to take risks anyway, turnovers happen.

It's indicative of the state of NFL fans that Trevor Lawrence is the big Golden Boy today with a bright future while Geno Smith is some sort of scapegoat, when Geno played better than Trevor did over the course of the game and against the #1 defense in the league while Trevor faced the #20 defense. The difference between their games was that Trevor played so bad even against a shytty defense that Jacksonville went down 23 in the 2nd quarter while Geno had his team up a point. But Jacksonville's defense got stops in the 2nd half and Seattle's defense didn't.

And the big indictment against Geno is "turnovers", when Trevor had twice as many and in much easier game situations too.

Take away the shytty defense and the o-line mistakes, and we'd be talking about the biggest upset of the year with Geno overcoming the #1 defense for a 31-16 victory with an elite game. Give Jacksonville the same 2nd-half defensive performance that Seattle gave, and we're talking about how Trevor Lawrence lost by 30 with a WOAT performance.

Last edited:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Then you don't pay jack shyt for attention. ANYONE who has played football knows that teams facing 3rd-and-long situations or 20+ point deficits are at far higher risk for turnovers because they have to take bigger risks and the defense knows which plays are coming so they can tee off at the QB. We talk about turnovers being caused by the game situation all the time.

Geno didn't throw a single pick until the 'hawks were already down 21 with 10 minutes left in the game, meaning the defense knew he had to air it out and had 7 guys in coverage, but Geno still had to force a throw because what else is he gonna do at that point? And his only fumble came on a 3rd-and-14 with a short field where yet again there were 7 guys in coverage blanketing his receivers and then everyone on his line got beat. Best chance he had was to throw the ball away and kick the field goal, but that's still just 3 points and his defense wasn't doing jack shyt to stop the Niners.

This is the situation TWO SECONDS after the snap on a play where his WRs need to get 15 yards downfield against 7-man coverage with a short field to defend:

Obyz1K2.jpg

Everyone on the entire fukking line is beat 2 seconds in. He can't go left cause two guys are getting beat. He can't go right cause another guy is getting beat. So he tries to step up on the correct side of #72 and the FOURTH defender gets through with a spin move on his blind side and causes the fumble.

There's literally nothing there except throwing the ball away 2 seconds after the snap. The o-line are the ones who fukked that play up, and he wouldn't even have been in that position if it wasn't for the o-line. But it's more popular to blame the QB every time especially if it's a black QB.

Just a dumb statement. Is 1st-and-10 in the red zone a better time for a turnover? How about 3rd-and-2 in the red zone? Should you commit all your turnovers when you're pinned back in your own territory? How about when you have the lead? Tie game?

3rd-and-long when you're losing is the easiest time for the defense to force you into a turnover. Especially when it's an elite, aggressive defense. There's no magic "no turnover" button for a team to press in that situation. When they can put 11 guys into pass rush/coverage and know you have to take risks anyway, turnovers happen.

It's indicative of the state of NFL fans that Trevor Lawrence is the big Golden Boy today with a bright future while Geno Smith is some sort of scapegoat, when Geno played better than Trevor did over the course of the game and against the #1 defense in the league while Trevor faced the #20 defense. The difference between their games was that Trevor played so bad even against a shytty defense that Jacksonville went down 23 in the 2nd quarter while Geno had his team up a point. But Jacksonville's defense got stops in the 2nd half and Seattle's defense didn't.

Take away the shytty defense and the o-line mistakes, and we'd be talking about the biggest upset of the year with Geno overcoming the #1 defense for a 31-16 victory with an elite game. Give Jacksonville the same 2nd-half defensive performance that Seattle gave, and we're talking about how Trevor Lawrence lost by 30 with a WOAT performance.

Pretty much

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Then you don't pay jack shyt for attention

Penalties. From. The. Previous. Play. Can. Not. Cause. Turnovers.

Up until Rebel said it, I had never seen anyone use a penalty on a previous play as an excuse for a turnover on the next. At least not in a serious manner.

You could write 500 more long ass posts with how they got into the situations they got into, what happened once they were in those situations, and they probably will be valid reasons for why the risk increased or the likelihood of a negative play increased. But they certainly won't explain how a penalty on a different play can cause a turnover the next play (or 10, 15, 199999835217256972 plays later).

So I am absolutely clear. 3rd and 98, 1st and 98, 3rd and goal from the 1, 1st and goal from the 1, one point deficit, one point lead, 20 point deficit, 20 point lead, injuries, penalties on the previous 50 plays in a row, playoffs, regular season, best defense, worst offense, OL giving 10 seconds to block, OL giving 2 seconds to block.......etc. etc.

None of that causes turnovers.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It will be interesting to see what SEA does in the draft bc Geno earned himself a contract IMO just don’t know if they see him as the guy or if they plan on drafting a new QB
I still want another QB. Daniel hasn't even thrown for 4000 yards yet.