George Lucas Criticizes New Star Wars Films (Article)

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
George Lucas Quips He Sold 'Star Wars' to "White Slavers"; Criticizes "Retro" Tone of New Film

Lucas went on to tell Rose he has accepted that the franchise is now in other hands, then he somewhat criticized the latest installment, The Force Awakens.

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Before the deal came about, Lucas said he planned on writing and directing the sequels to his original trilogy. Then the sale occurred. Disney was not interested in his ideas for the follow-ups, so he stayed away from the production of Force Awakens, he said.

"They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway, but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up,” he said. “And so I said, ‘OK, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”

:francis:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
He's got a point and I understand where he's coming from. I really don't want Star Wars to just become fan fiction for real.
Just cause George made shytty prequels doesn't mean his point isn't valid.

I read an article that basically summed up whats going on. TFA is like an extended trailer that sets up the next movie. It reintroduced everyone to that universe now they can expand on it.

Rian Johnson should kill it. If JJ was making all three movies then it would get stale.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Just cause George made shytty prequels doesn't mean his point isn't valid.

I read an article that basically summed up whats going on. TFA is like an extended trailer that sets up the next movie. It reintroduced everyone to that universe now that can expand on it.

Rian Johnson should kill it. If JJ was making all three movies then it would get stale.

Well its the curse of the internet. You do something bad and apparently it wipes out any good you've ever done. So cats start getting their revisionist history on and saying how cats who've done great things really didn't do anything great at all. What JJ did was great; it serves as a launching pad to the new stories and how this universe is now. He hit all the familiar beats to ingratiate the fans and keep them happy. Now someone else who's known for taking more risks can do that and tell their own story. It's perfectly cool what JJ did but I understand George, being the guy who created all of this, wanting to do something beyond that and continue to push it from a creativity standpoint. Even if someone doesn't trust his instincts, it's what any creative type is going to want to do