George R.R. Martin flew to New York to beg an HBO executive to make Game of Thrones 10 seasons long

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
8 days ago. The commonly held assumption that Martin laid out the ending to D&D is apparently wrong.

He said, she said. :manny:

George R.R. Martin worried Game of Thrones wasn’t following his “template”

When it comes to his opinion on the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin has given precious little away. We’re still unsure as to whether his plans for future A Song of Ice and Fire novels will mirror the conclusion showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss delivered in Game of Thrones, conclusion or differ considerably.

And new quotes from those close to Martin, and from Martin himself, have only muddied the waters further. These are taken from the new book Tinderbox: HBO’s Ruthless Pursuit of New Frontiers by entertainment author James Andrew Miller. Paul Haas, the fantasy author’s representative, had this to say when asked about the destination of the as-yet-incomplete book series:

• George loves Dan and Dave, but after season 5 he did start to worry about the path they were [going down] because George knows where the story goes. He started saying, ‘You’re not following my template’. The first 5 seasons stuck to George’s roadmap. Then they went off George’s roadmap.

Haas also insisted that Martin has “not told anybody” the answer to the question “who gets the throne?” This contradicts information from Benioff, Weiss, and actor Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who have all said that the idea of Bran Stark becoming Ruler of the Six Kingdoms came straight from Martin’s own mouth.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Last edited:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
8 days ago. The commonly held assumption that Martin laid out the ending to D&D is apparently wrong.

He said, she said. :manny:

George R.R. Martin worried Game of Thrones wasn’t following his “template”
I think George saw the reaction to Bran getting the throne and was like :hubie:

I wouldn't be surprised if he changed it up. I remembered this interview when he decided on some major twist after a character had been killed on the show but is still alive in the books. He didn't name the character tho. This came out around the time it seemed like he was frustrated that the show had passed the books.

“I have decided to do that, yes,” Martin said in the new interview when asked about his previous quote. “Will you know it? I don’t know. It’s fairly obvious because it is something that involves a couple of characters, one of whom is dead on the show, but not dead in the books. So the show can’t do it, because they have killed a character I have not killed.

George R.R. Martin moving forward with a big twist that Game of Thrones can't do

To me this seemed to be done out of spite so switching up the ending would not surprise me. And to be honest, he'd be a fool not to change it after how it was pretty much universally shyt on by everyone.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York