Get Familiar: Toussaint's Legacy, The Revolution. The First Independent, Black Republic

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
C17EqI5XAAYxtPd.jpg

KingSlime

All Star
Daps
:mjlol: A lot of revisionist history over here. Respect to the dead but Toussaint was a house negro til his dying days. He ain't wanna settle in Dahomey to end the slave trade, he wanted to be the one to "civilize" and colonize West Africa for France as governor general himself. If anyone is going to pay respect to the Haitian revolution, that honor is due to the man who actually brought Haitian independence into fruition, Jean-Jacques Dessalines (Who was briefly owned as a slave by Toussaint's son in law:mjpls:) but people will continue to shaft him in favor of Toussaint for the same reason we prefer MLK over Malcolm. Easier for white historians to sympathize with. Dessalines though? He played no such games

250px-Manuel_Lopez_Lopez_Iodibo_-_Desalines_-_Huyes_del_valor_frances,_pero_matando_blancos.jpg

Coupe tet boule kay

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
"Whatever defamation of character my enemies are spreading about me, I do not feel the need to justify myself toward them. While discretion obliges me to remain silent, my duty compels me to prevent them from doing any more harm."

- Toussaint L'ouverture